English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 05 December 2012, 22:09   #21
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I think I can see possible brown paper issue.. Still not sure why it only triggers in some situations..

Does http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.zip fix it? (attach log, if it still happens)

I have MSDN access, I can get test Vista versions easily. (But it seems I don't need it after all..)
Old 05 December 2012, 22:35   #22
mark_k

I very quickly tested the latest winuae.zip in Wine and it looks like the problem is fixed. I wasn't able to get the mouse to uncapture.

I'll check in Vista tomorrow to make sure but it looks like you fixed it. I'd be interested to know what the problem was!
Old 06 December 2012, 11:30   #23
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

ClipCursor() was not always called = there was no clip region. Normally it won't make much difference because WinUAE always moves Windows mouse back to center point of WinUAE window but quick enough mouse moves can make it move far enough to be visible..

btw, winuae.zip updated, now also includes filesystem creation time resolution increase and uaefsdb fix.
Old 06 December 2012, 14:45   #24
mark_k

The problem is fixed under Vista as well. (Also, the pointer no longer momentarily appears outside the window when I move the mouse left or up.)

I was thinking about why you were unable to duplicate this problem. You mentioned using a Logitech G700 which I googled and it looks like some kind of über-l33t gaming mouse.

Have you got any Logitech mouse driver/support software installed? Looking at the Logitech web site, it says the USB report rate can be up to 1000 reports/sec. What is your mouse's report rate set to?

My theory is, if you have the report rate set very high, WinUAE will receive mouse move events much more frequently. Therefore the mouse ticks distance between successive reports is much smaller. If WinUAE was repositioning the Windows mouse pointer on every mouse move message/event, that would explain why the uncapturing didn't happen for you. You would have had to move your mouse ten times as fast as a normal/standard mouse in order for the pointer to move outside the window "in one go".

Talking of mouse-repositioning... how often does WinUAE reposition the Windows mouse pointer? Is it done on every mouse move event/message, or e.g. once per emulated Amiga frame? If it's every mouse move event, how much CPU time is used in doing that? (Since WinUAE could be receiving 1000 mouse move events per second.)

Now that ClipCursor() is always called, is it necessary to reposition the Windows mouse pointer at all?
Old 06 December 2012, 17:54   #25
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
My theory is, if you have the report rate set very high
Makes sense. Mouse reporting rate is recommended default 500/sec.

Quote:
Talking of mouse-repositioning... how often does WinUAE reposition the Windows mouse pointer?
Mouse is moved back to center if distance from center is >=50 pixels. Repositioning is still needed in Windows Mouse mode because windows mouse messages are relative to WinUAE window (they are not actual relative mouse movements), moving against window border = coordinate won't change.
Old 06 December 2012, 18:15   #26
mark_k

Ah, okay. So if using raw input for the mouse, you don't need to reposition the mouse at all. (I guess you could reposition it only when the user uncaptures the mouse; maybe move the pointer to where it was when the mouse was first captured.)