Old 18 September 2013, 09:43   #21
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

The latest and greatest in Amiga repair tech

Old 18 September 2013, 09:52   #22
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I would never perform waterboarding against my Amigas.
Old 18 September 2013, 21:12   #23
Calabazam

How long did you let the A600 dry?

If you ever spill water on an electronic device (such as one of these expensive smartphones for instance), it is vital to not power it and to let it dry a very long time (even weeks). If possible, take it apart and use a hair dryer.

A very small drop of water can fry the whole device if in contact with an electronic board.

Using an oven it not a good idea IMHO because some parts could not take the heat.
Old 18 September 2013, 23:35   #24
demolition
Unregistered User

When dried in the oven, it won't take that long to dry. A couple of hours should be plenty of time.
Old 19 September 2013, 00:11   #25
Dunny

I did something similar back in the day. My A1200 was beautifully decked out with HDD, Blizzard 1230-IV with RAM expansion and running just gorgeous...

When the little 'un upended a bottle of baby milk onto it. Whilst on.

It just went dark. The screen was pure snow, there were no lights on the Amiga at all. I took the thing apart but forgot to unplug it - so stood there with a hairdryer directed into the keyboard.

After about 10 mins, I started to get a picture back on the screen and gradually over the course of an hour I managed to get back to the purple boot screen. I reset, and it booted up just fine.

After that it was a few minutes work with some cotton buds to get the milk out of the keys and we were back in business!

Damned lucky though, I think.

D.
Old 20 September 2013, 18:29   #26
Hewitson

I spilt a glass of coke on my 1200/040 while it was on when I was younger. It kept working so I just continued using it
Old 03 March 2014, 16:25   #27
TTSAddict
Influence Device

I once spilled a cup full of hot coffee with milk into an A500 and it was switched on!
Was lucky though. Pulled power cord, rinsed with water and let it dry while taken apart. Worked just like a new one. I'd NOT put it in the dishwasher. The cleaning agents are very agressive.
Old 18 March 2014, 15:28   #28
brett71

I once spilled a part of a glass of milk into my A500 while it was turned off. I had the glass sitting on the 500 just above the first set of function keys over the vents. I bumped the coffee table it was sitting on and some of the milk sloshed over the side and into the vents. After moving the milk, I turned the machine on, hoping that maybe the milk didn't make it through to the mainboard. Black screen. Turned it off, cursing myself. Waited about a minute and tried turning it on again. The thing came to life, but was extremely sluggish. Turned it off again, waited a bit, turned it back on and it seemed to be working normally, except the floppy drive wasn't working. Turned it off, convinced I'd killed it. Called a friend who told me to take the mainboard out, run it under the faucet to wash the mainboard, then put it by the radiator overnight. When I took the board out, found a glob of curdled milk by the CPU. The current seemed to have instantly curdled it. Washed it off and put it by the radiator overnight. Reassembled the machine the next day and it worked perfectly and continued to work for years afterwards.