English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Demos

Old 28 November 2002, 13:14   #1
misguided_fool

Intros / demos for Powerlords UK !

Heres a bit of a weird request...

I used to be a part of a group called The Powerlords (UK)
I used to do a lot of GFX, sometimes music & small intros.
We had a few cracks / compilation disks released around the UK.
It would be amazing if anyone out there had some of these, would be quite a nostalgia trip.

I may have some stored back home at my parents house in the attic - along with hundreds of amiga disks. I will have to dig them out one day.

In the meantime.... does anyone remember coming across any ?

I would be quite impressed if you guys get anywhere with this one !
Old 29 November 2002, 11:12   #2
VermillioN

Thumbs up

Here are all the prods by I have by Powerlords :

252 bobs
Hollywood Mood
Party Invite
Vector Magic
X-Copy 3 Special
and 3 unnamed Intros..

Ring any bells?

Old 02 December 2002, 14:37   #3
misguided_fool

Whooaaa ! Crazy nuts bonkers!

Fantastic! 252 bobs ! That was hopefully the one coded by Reaper (Scottish chap that used to be in the group - started working for some software company, i think it was DMA design)

Mental ! The x-copy demo was coded by my mate who lives in South Wales - i may have had a hand in that and maybe some of the others. Im sure he'd be amazed if I showed that to him.

Is there any way I could see them matey? It would be such a laff- i'd probably cringe with embarrassment when i see them - then again I was only a young teen when I was involved in all that stuff.

Give me a buzz !
Old 02 December 2002, 15:40   #4
VermillioN

Big grin

Haha!! Glad to help ya mate
That'll be $60 US each....

lol - kidding of course. Well there in dms format so I could pack 'em to .rar and upload into the zone if you like

Old 02 December 2002, 17:18   #5
misguided_fool

Powerlords !

Smashing! Stick em in the zone if u can please !

p.s. The $60 US is on its way to you via carrier pigeon - may take a while to get to you down there matey....

Old 10 December 2002, 04:05   #6
VermillioN

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

*Finally* uploaded 3 archives to the zone. Sorry about the wait - ah well better late than never I guess

Old 10 December 2002, 12:47   #7
front243

Also try here

Old 11 December 2002, 16:18   #8
misguided_fool

Fantastique !

Cheers lads !

Downloading em right now. Should be a laugh reading the old scroll texts on these.

I'm well impressed you've found them !
Old 17 October 2008, 09:06   #9
MrFluffy

Ive got a feeling I was the coder with you lot for a while. I remember some guys from cardiff way and stuff. Topper springs to mind.
I was back then centreline I think, i remember writing a demo with a rotating A formed from 2d bobs, a halfbright double sinus scroller released at a party, a demo with odie riding garfield being distorted by the tracker vu meters and a full screen horizontal scroller using a boris valejo picture. I have lost all my floppies
If you have anything of mine from back then id be quite interested, including the fast disk destroyer release that I cant find...
Ive given up hope of finding morsel (a text -> morse code translator that had a "fist", or sounded human as it introduced small timing errors into the code, machine translators were always easy to spot normally because of that)

Old 17 October 2008, 13:07   #10
MrFluffy

The scene has load more powerlords stuff, including this (powerlords A demo). I remember this mostly because I coded and drew it, serious nostalgia trip. Id even forgotten the group name till I came on here...
My handywork, not incredibly awful for 1988, although the scene has it as 1989...
http://www.scene.org/file.php?file=%...-Demo&fileinfo

What was your nick back then? I remember reaper and empire now, the rest will appear out of the fog sooner or later...

Old 25 October 2008, 01:51   #11
Ray Norrish

Hahah.. I used to be in Powerlords too at one time (NZO) and I remember Emyr, Mark, Alistair, Lee etc..

It wasn`t DMA, it was Argonaut (a couple of them went from Scotland - Coder, graphics.) I went for a job there but didn`t get in - one of the remits was to have a formal music education.
I`m still in contact with Alistair and I remember he provided me with graphics for Full FX stuff and I also remember he was in Equinox with me for a spell after Powerlords. I think my music was in the 252 bobs demo..?
Old 25 October 2008, 02:00   #12
Ray Norrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFluffy View Post
The scene has load more powerlords stuff, including this (powerlords A demo). I remember this mostly because I coded and drew it, serious nostalgia trip. Id even forgotten the group name till I came on here...
I don`t believe it!

I did that music

It`s awful yes, but one of the first ones I did. You can hear the string sequence I used in "blood money" ingame, as well as some other instruments used in other "songs" around that time.

hahaa.. I literally haven't heard that since 1988... got any more?
Old 25 October 2008, 12:31   #13
WayneK

Mark & Alistair (Reaper + Opus, respectively) were the 2 that went to Argonaut I think? Opus certainly did, Mark was doing a shootemup that DMA were looking at (and gave him an artist to work with if I remember correctly, the gfx were quite slick) but I don't think anything came of it. I'm glad he went down south, it stopped him beating me at Kick Off every time we met up
Old 25 October 2008, 15:42   #14
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I thought Reaper went to DID?
Old 26 October 2008, 13:06   #15
WayneK

That's possible, I don't know since I lost touch with him when he moved away The only 2 demo-sceners I knew at DID were Bandasnatch/THR and TurboSlug/MF, and I don't remember them mentioning a crazy Scotsman had come to work with them :P
Old 30 October 2008, 14:16   #16
MrFluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Norrish View Post
I don`t believe it!

I did that music

It`s awful yes, but one of the first ones I did. You can hear the string sequence I used in "blood money" ingame, as well as some other instruments used in other "songs" around that time.

hahaa.. I literally haven't heard that since 1988... got any more?
I had the whole of the unreleased megademo until about 4 months ago, all 6 or so parts of it
I moved house yet again, and during the office chaos/tidy up prior the last of my amiga disks went mia. I had the source's the lot too, though thats assuming they still worked after all this time.
Still got boxes and bags being unpacked here at new office, so im hoping secretly ill come across a box of old floppies with yellow labels on them once more. I found a long forgotten a500 1.3 with a trapdoor ram board/psu/modulator the lot the other day in the loft of the old workshop so theres still hope... Theres also the chance my brother has some stuff, since he's still got a amiga without a gap to this day. Ill try and get hold of him and see if I can find a way to contact him.

I came across this on the net :-
http://arabuusimiehet.com/break/amig...s.php?id=11053
Im sure I remembering coding that just to get something out the door quick while we were beavering away on the megademo stuff... Ill try and get hold of a copy of it and see... If memory serves me correct we used a copper shift to bend the scroller and occasionally it goes behind the bar etc. Good chance itll have one of your tracks on it, since I remember on joining them thinking "oh good, a group with other people who can draw and make tunes, finally I can just do the code!". I was a terrible artist, and just used to borrow soundtracker modules from others before that

Old 30 October 2008, 20:41   #17
Photon

I'M IN UR BITWORLD GIMME ALL UR DEMOS

No, but seriously - Conan/TPL Sweden is a childhood friend and when I see something related to him I try to gather the stuff. If someone can upload what they have to The Zone, I can add them to our database.

That demo on Break's Amiga Scene - Humanoids Packdisk 26 wasn't on ftp.amigascne.org. I'll ask Zeg or Break if they have it, and I'll add that too. There was no Megademo Preview in our collection http://bitworld.bitfellas.org/demos....50&where=group

btw, The font in that scroll looks like the one in my scroller in Conan Striking Back, nice
Old 01 November 2008, 12:33   #18
MrFluffy

Font is probably a 2bpl dpaint 2am knockup using a font we found somewhere, all the effects on it were copper anyway. Coder graphics, quick dirty, you know the score
Id have to see it to be sure I wrote it, i def remember the logo and stuff though. We didnt have much contact with tpl sweden, as a guy in the uk division used to handle all that. I remember he wanted to write all our scrolltexts and wanted me to make my demo's so he could add the scrolltext afterwards with a include file and recompile them. "Er.... No.... I do this for fun you know? " I explained

I wrote a game too once, only a little clone of boulderdash, called rockrun. I added a few new ideas like collecting a rocket launcher, or grenades, smooth scrolling of course and tunes/sfx and one particular sequence where rocky gets out a cigarette and starts smoking if you leave the joystick alone too long. We sent it into one of the big mags with the source trying to win a prize and heard nothing. 6 months later after agonizing at how many public domain utilities that nobody would ever want were included on their coverdiscs, we were gobsmacked when the mag first ran a version with different graphics on the disc credited to someone else (and of course the smoking gfx changed for something more family friendly). And then started a "how to write a simple boulderdash clone" series with sourcecodes. Lots of which looked very familiar, nasty taste in mouth time

And finally I remember I used to use seka as the assembler. Asm one hadn't even been wrote at that point
Going to keep digging, its got to be good for the synapses getting ones this rusty to glue back together again after many years of destruction with fast motorcycles and alcohol

Old 01 November 2008, 21:28   #19
Photon

We all return to our favorite time in life after first having delusions of grandeur (c) 3p0 and Han Solo, then distracting ourselves with irrelevant stuff... 8)
Old 04 November 2008, 18:24   #20
zeg

Powerlords demo by conan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
We all return to our favorite time in life after first having delusions of grandeur (c) 3p0 and Han Solo, then distracting ourselves with irrelevant stuff... 8)
Hello Photoner'l
I have created this demo entry. http://kestra.exotica.org.uk/demo.php?id=23426

bye bye