English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 11 February 2011, 10:22   #101
NovaCoder

hiya

glad you like my hard work

only the version in the zone supports discworld, give it a wirl

only the older agi games are currently supported, seirra support will be in another release
Old 11 February 2011, 10:38   #102
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
I ran 'The Dig' on on my A1200T. This one has the 72mhz 060, I had to use this AGA version becuase the RTG seems to need CGX and this system uses a Mediator & Voodoo3 (Picasso96)

Anyhow the AGA version ran super smooth, even the intro animation was perfect and smooth.

Anyone else running on an 060 should find these to be running pretty much like they would on PC, Monkey Island 1/2 are very smooth indeed!

The only issue I had was no sound, my AHI is setup for Soundblaster 128 and for some reason although enabled I did not get any sound, I did update to latest AHI but I will fiddle with other settings.

If I get the sound working I'll shoot a Video of it running.

Steve.
Old 11 February 2011, 11:32   #103
NovaCoder

that would be great to see, thanx steve
Old 11 February 2011, 11:37   #104
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
that would be great to see, thanx steve
You're welcome

What I'm going to do is take a spare CF card with a standard OS3.9 install + 060 libs and update AHI, then try and run the AGA version without any of the Mediator drivers and such.

If that works you get the Video
Old 11 February 2011, 19:32   #105
NathanTolbert
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
only the older agi games are currently supported, seirra support will be in another release
Okay so specifically the adventure games interpreter are supported. All SCI games aren't functioning, so no mouse support games. No problem, I'll load up SQI, SQII, KQI, II, and III, and PQI and see how they work. I'll let you know when I finish testing them! Thanks for letting me know that only the version in the zone support Discworld. I will try it, as I own a retail copy of the CD-ROM version. I'll let you know if I can get it to work.

Hmm, the ScummVM in the Zone is for 030's. That would lead me to believe it doesn't take advantage of any of the superscalar architecture of the 060, correct? Would this cause problems if I loaded it into it's own folder on the drive separate from my other install to test?

-Edit- Okay I have loaded the zone version of ScummVM and can confirm on my A4000D/060 that the game does work, albeit slowly for me. Probably due to my blistering hard drive speeds of a whopping 4.5MB a second! I cannot play any of the games that use Adlib or Midi, although Full Throttle and the Dig work well, as they are full digitized audio, and they actually run okay as well.

Last edited by NathanTolbert; 11 February 2011 at 20:21.
Old 11 February 2011, 19:55   #106
NovaCoder

yep the one in the zone is just 030 which will run fine on an 060 and yes, put it in it's own folder

make sure you run it with music disabled to start with (see above)
Old 11 February 2011, 20:29   #107
NathanTolbert

Yes I can get it to run. I do have to disable music. I have to disable music in the 060 version trying to run those games as well, as it just runs too slow otherwise. I guess I need to get one of those FastATA cards for my A4000D. With music disabled the games run, and they run okay, but I do get the occasional pause as my hard drive thrashes to try and figure out what's next. This isn't too much of a big deal for me. But it is noticeable. When I watch the youtube video his system runs much better than mine. I take it he has a buffered IDE connection or a FastATA? I know my 060 is only 50MHz so that may have something to do with it as well.
Old 11 February 2011, 22:02   #108
rockersuke

Interestingly, a 68060 seems to have similar troubles with MIDI music as my 50 MHz 030 Blizzard, so perhaps it's not (only) a question of lack of raw CPU power.

It's a known fact that other than emulating a barely expanded A500 WinUAE is biased towards user-transparent optimized performance than making an actual replica of the equivalent real Amiga setup. If you "snoopdos" ScummVM AGA under WinUAE you'll spot some "uae audio device" working together with the expected paula AHI stuff, which could be adding some "magic" of its own in order to get MIDI music fast and smooth (which seems to be so difficult to achieve in our real Amigas). Of course that's just a wild guess of mine ^_^'

I've just tried Leisure Suit Larry 1 with 1.4.0. First attempt: failed... eer, I mean, I couldn´t play the game 'cause I failed the maturity test questions... So now I know I know less about grown up life than my late eighties self!!! (keyboard shortcut to skip the questions didn't work, btw)

OK, so on further attempts I get there and... It works with music in default position, but rather choppy and keyboard is unresponsive, making typing commands a real pain. With "no music" it's a bit slow, but nicely playable!

--
Old 12 February 2011, 02:58   #109
NovaCoder

yes hd transfer rate will definately have an effect on game performance and music playback, this is why an 060 with scuzzy does so well, fast transfer and no cpu hit that you get with ide

try copying a demo to your ramdisk to see if that improves things
Old 12 February 2011, 18:20   #110
NathanTolbert

Tried that and it didn't help. I don't know what's going on. When I went to show my wife the cool stuff you have been able to do, suddenly I had no sound in my amiga at all. I don't know what happened. My AD516 and my Paul wouldn't output any sound at all. I wish I could tell you what went wrong, but audio just completely died. I had to reinstall the OS partition from image and that seems to have restored the sound for the moment.

I'm using SCSI in my instance, sadly it's just not super fast UW3 SCSI it's just SCSI2 it's the NCR53C710 chip, so it's only got a maximum throughput of 10MB/s. It averages 4.5-5.15MB/s as per SysSpeed.

Last edited by NathanTolbert; 12 February 2011 at 19:30.
Old 09 March 2011, 23:57   #111
NovaCoder

Thanks to FtizSteve, sit back and enjoy the Dig running on AGA and as a bonus, a sneak peak at the first attempt of getting Broken Sword 1 running in 640x480x256 on a real Amiga.....

[ Show youtube player ]

Check the speed of the UI on Steve's 060, nice and fast

Last edited by NovaCoder; 10 March 2011 at 01:43.
Old 10 March 2011, 00:09   #112
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Good stuff with the ScummVM port NovaCoder and impressive vid on a 72Mhz 060 Steve Would really like to see how ScummVM would run on a PPC (Steve?). Also the transition to 256 AGA colours seems to work nicely on Broken Sword

Last edited by TCD; 10 March 2011 at 00:20.
Old 10 March 2011, 00:18   #113
NovaCoder

Thanks

640x480x256 is really working the AGA chipset, I need Jens to release the new IndivisionAGA to give it some more speed
Old 10 March 2011, 00:39   #114
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Thanks to FtizSteve, sit back and enjoy the Dig running on AGA and as a bonus a sneak peak at the first attempt of getting Broken Sword 1 running in 640x480x256 on a real Amiga.....

[ Show youtube player ]

Check the speed of the UI on Steve's 060, nice and fast
Glad the Video helps the cause, it was my pleasure to test it out

I'd be happy to try Broken Sword in RTG if you did manage to put a test pack together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Good stuff with the ScummVM port NovaCoder and impressive vid on a 72Mhz 060 Steve Would really like to see how ScummVM would run on a PPC (Steve?). Also the transition to 256 AGA colours seems to work nicely on Broken Sword
I was wondering the same, @NovaCoder - you think its possible to port a PPC version? I guess no way to test this on WinUAE

Also your RTG support was CGX, is it possible to support Picasso96?

Quote:
Thanks

640x480x256 is really working the AGA chipset, I need Jens to release the new IndivisionAGA to give it some more speed
These Indivision Cards can do some incredible stuff.
Old 10 March 2011, 19:35   #115
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Also your RTG support was CGX, is it possible to support Picasso96?
But it works with WinUAE/P96...

Have you ever tried the old ScummVM port on your setup?
Broken Sword 1+2 work great with this on WinUAE, but probably to slow on the real thing.
Old 21 March 2011, 11:34   #116
NovaCoder

After a lot of hard work, I've manage to improve the speed of the 030 version to the point where a lot of games are now playable (including Full Throttle and Discworld).

Thanks to rockersuke you can see a great video of all the action right [ Show youtube player ]

The release build (v1.2.1) is currently in the Zone for testing, if a few fast (50Mhz+) 030 owners could try it out for me that would be great.......if all goes well I'll upload it to AmiNet next week.

Thanks again for all the beta testing rockersuke

Now, only the 040/060/RTG version's to update and the ECS version to code and I'll be all done
Old 21 March 2011, 12:10   #117
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Great stuff NovaCoder

When I open up my A1200 I'll do some testing again. Screws are in and haven't felt like pulling it apart lol.

Your AGA version with Sound is only working for me on a basic Classic Workbench setup not with my fully pimped out Benches hence why its not so easy for me to pick up and test but I do have the CF card here that I used for testing so its only a case of swapping things around when I open the Case up.

Good news is it will be getting opened up soon to fit a Fan Speed controller so I'll probably take that oportunity to do some testing

Steve.
Old 21 March 2011, 22:58   #118
Vairn
The Grim-Button

I'll give it a test on my fastish 030/50 (not +) hehe tonight dude.
Old 21 March 2011, 23:50   #119
NovaCoder

Cool, let me know how you get on
Old 25 March 2011, 06:36   #120
Xenon

Novacoder... have you updated the new version to aminet?

http://aminet.net/package/game/misc/ScummVM_AGA_030

It's the new 1.2.1 version...

I need to update too much things in my Amiga and I'll try for sure this great app!