English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 05 July 2003, 03:11   #21
Amiga1992

SO a WHD version exists! That's what you gotta use manicx. Forget about Pish-Es
Old 05 July 2003, 03:30   #22
IFW

With great respect Galahad, Kick Off and Kick Off 3 protections are simple Copylocks and are indeed written by Rob Northen, but the protection track used on most others, specifically Kick Off 2 series including all add-ons, managers and revisions are not. Also Tip Off.
You can check the interview you or CT conducted with Rob Northen on this matter
Kick Off 3 listed is actually Goal there for real, there was some hair teasing about that the time, but manicx can probably tell better, something like Steve Screech and Dino Dini doing their own game?

The protection track is very special, if you not just circumvent/crack it, but understand what it does you will see.
It is perfect for stopping copiers, including hwc unless they know what they are doing perfectly and support that protection track directly.

But since you are pissed right now apologies accepted by all
Old 05 July 2003, 14:26   #23
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Hmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by IFW
With great respect Galahad, Kick Off and Kick Off 3 protections are simple Copylocks and are indeed written by Rob Northen, but the protection track used on most others, specifically Kick Off 2 series including all add-ons, managers and revisions are not. Also Tip Off.
You can check the interview you or CT conducted with Rob Northen on this matter
Kick Off 3 listed is actually Goal there for real, there was some hair teasing about that the time, but manicx can probably tell better, something like Steve Screech and Dino Dini doing their own game?

The protection track is very special, if you not just circumvent/crack it, but understand what it does you will see.
It is perfect for stopping copiers, including hwc unless they know what they are doing perfectly and support that protection track directly.

But since you are pissed right now apologies accepted by all
I didn't ever say they were Copylock (I know Kick Off the first game was, Series 1 Copylock), I simply said they were written by Rob Northen, this information came DIRECTLY from Rob Northen and Dino Dini

I am also pretty sure that Kick Off 3 is not Copylock either. I'm sure that the following titles are all the same protection:

Kick Off 2 and all associated addons and versions
Player Manager
Player Manager 2 ECS
Player Manager 2 AGA
Kick Off 3 and all associated versions
Kick Off '96

If you are refering to Goal!, this was never an Anco product and was released by Virgin and coded by Dino Dini but used Copylock, but the later series Copylock protection whereas Kick Off used the first series Copylock. Goal! was jokingly referred to by some as Kick Off 3, as it would have been if Anco didn't mess Dino about.
Old 05 July 2003, 14:38   #24
IFW

It's strange it is not credited to himself in his interview, and very different from any of his protections and not his programming style really, not to mention it is very good.

Correct KO3 is not, but again in his interview it is credited to him, but it uses the same protection in question with ko2 and friends.
However he does not mentions Goal, which is CL.
That's why I said that what he mentions as KO3 it is Goal for real, which is indeed CL and the game is commonly referred as KO3 despite being two ko3 published by Anco, afair credited to Steve Screech only.

Maybe the protection was written by RN, possibly not for real.
With about 15 similar ko titles out there and fading memory one can easily say it was written by him, while it was written by someone else for certain titles, specifically the ko2 series.
Old 05 July 2003, 14:48   #25
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

that interview

shouldn't be read as gospel. there are a few errors in there, stating that some games have Copylock when they didn't, and missing some games that did have it.

But yeah, Dino Dini confirmed that Rob Northen wrote it for Anco, and yes, from a duplicating point of view, its very good, because no matter what copying method you use, the protection track doesn't ever show up, which is why Player Manager 2 Extra AGA was released by LSD and Quartex without being cracked, because they didn't see a protection track!

I think Tip Off is the same style, but seeing as that game was withdrawn from sale because it was so buggy, I cannot confirm this.

Still..... its nice to be sober again!
Old 05 July 2003, 14:59   #26
IFW

Re: that interview

Quote:
Originally posted by Galahad/FLT
shouldn't be read as gospel. there are a few errors in there, stating that some games have Copylock when they didn't, and missing some games that did have it.

But yeah, Dino Dini confirmed that Rob Northen wrote it for Anco, and yes, from a duplicating point of view, its very good, because no matter what copying method you use, the protection track doesn't ever show up, which is why Player Manager 2 Extra AGA was released by LSD and Quartex without being cracked, because they didn't see a protection track!

I think Tip Off is the same style, but seeing as that game was withdrawn from sale because it was so buggy, I cannot confirm this.

Still..... its nice to be sober again!
The main point I like about it is not the track not showing - it is a big red sign in our analyser anyway
The point is that you can't copy it just write it (unless yuo are very lucky), unlike the majority of the protections used.

strictly for educational purposes - ko2 v14e
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ko2v14e.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	5325  
Old 07 July 2003, 08:35   #27
manicx

Re: ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Galahad/FLT

I mean, no one has said so far.... "Galahad, you WHDLoad version solves all penalty dribble problems"..... so, as I stated in the readme for KO2, unless I get a bug report, just how the hell can I fix a bug?????

Read the 'readme' and act upon it, I'm no fucking mind reader!!!

Apologies, I have had a quite a bit to drink, Help me to help YOU!
Hi, Galahad! I PMed you all the info regarding your WHDLoad version. One thing that I can say at the moment is that THERE IS NO PB Dribble bug in your version of WHDLOAD...

Last edited by manicx; 07 July 2003 at 08:47.