English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 October 2002, 14:07   #1
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Mac OS conquers a HP Vectra!!

Today I devoted a backup PC to emulating Mac OS 9 [As some of you may know, Steve Jobs declared OS 9 dead, and probably the next upgrade of OS X will disallow booting in Classic 9].
I need OS 9 for a few important apps , such as FileMaker Pro.
I will now make it my main desktop "PC", as I already have an iBook.
This little project is pretty cool.
The HP Vectra I am using for this [via he great emulator, Basilisk] is loaded only with the barest of essentials to keep it going. Windows 98 will no longer be used except when needed. Ha cha.
Old 06 October 2002, 16:57   #2
Ash
Zone Friend

Good for you
Old 06 October 2002, 17:07   #3
oldpx

Doesn mac os 9 run with Basilisk? I've downloaded the mac emulator pack, it's an AIAB like pack for mac emulation and mac os 8.1 is included. Do you have a clue how I can set up os 9 instead?

Old 07 October 2002, 01:20   #4
Amiga1992

Re: Mac OS conquers a HP Vectra!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
[As some of you may know, Steve Jobs declared OS 9 dead, and probably the next upgrade of OS X will disallow booting in Classic 9]
BLAH This is shite. I will want to use LOTS of OS9 apps, OS X is not worth the effort (a fucking processor hog with 4 or 5 killer apps, nothing else)

I am not rich enough to own two Macintosh systems. Is Apple becoming Microsoft??
Old 07 October 2002, 01:41   #5
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

4 or 5 killer apps and nothing else?
You have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about.
None.
As for the booting, it matters now..emulation of 9 will not be stopped by any means. Only those apps that need to be bootd in 9 will require another Mac or another HD. My FileMaker Pro requires booting in 9.
Old 07 October 2002, 04:24   #6
Amiga1992

Quote:
4 or 5 killer apps and nothing else?
You have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about.
None.
Yes I have. You find it right that Apple pulls a Microsoft and forces users to "upgrade" to this new bloat OS X? Users will have to upgrade machines too for it to run smoothly, so I see the point in this new move.

The OSX-only apps out there which are relly good are STONKIN and WELL WORTH THE UPGRADE!
However, why force users to leave OS9 behind? If you don't have a super-duper fast G4, OS X doesn't run as nice as it should, and one (me!) might preffer to boot a slightly older OS9 app for performance's sake.

Every Mac user used to load his Mac with an OS one or two revisions OLDER than the max his Mac could take... For performance's sake!

I don't like this move at all. I don't see how will it affect me in my purchse of the iBook. I really want that bastard but I deny to be forced to boot just OSX... What has happened to all that "freedom" Apple used to give?
Old 07 October 2002, 04:54   #7
Miggy2TheMax

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Yes I have. You find it right that Apple pulls a Microsoft and forces users to "upgrade" to this new bloat OS X? Users will have to upgrade machines too for it to run smoothly, so I see the point in this new move.

The OSX-only apps out there which are relly good are STONKIN and WELL WORTH THE UPGRADE!
However, why force users to leave OS9 behind? If you don't have a super-duper fast G4, OS X doesn't run as nice as it should, and one (me!) might preffer to boot a slightly older OS9 app for performance's sake.

Every Mac user used to load his Mac with an OS one or two revisions OLDER than the max his Mac could take... For performance's sake!

I don't like this move at all. I don't see how will it affect me in my purchse of the iBook. I really want that bastard but I deny to be forced to boot just OSX... What has happened to all that "freedom" Apple used to give?
I think all that "freedom" Apple used to give went out the door when Bill bought a stake in the company.
Old 07 October 2002, 06:03   #8
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Bill did not buy a stake. He lent Jobs 50 million in exchange Apple giving IE and Outlook Express a boost. That claim you made is illogical and not very well thought out.
Old 07 October 2002, 06:23   #9
Miggy2TheMax

Quote:
Bill did not buy a stake. He lent Jobs 50 million in exchange Apple giving IE and Outlook Express a boost. That claim you made is illogical and not very well thought out.
Took me a while to find this article:
http://216.239.53.100/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

suprising actually.. it was 150mill and the wording over there is :

"Microsoft chairman Bill Gates said today that the software giant will invest $150 million in Apple..."

"invest"... well I guess they stopped short of saying he was buyng shares in the company?
Old 07 October 2002, 06:31   #10
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yup...remember the big-screen conference with booing as soon as Gates' ugly mug appeared on the widescreen TV projection screen (in pure 1984 style).
Old 07 October 2002, 06:59   #11
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I was wrong on the figure, but Gates had little say in how Apple was run. The investment , the shares, have since been bought back by Apple. Even when MS had the shares, it was understood to be more of a gentleman's agreement to boost IE & OE and help the returning Jobs gain power at Apple. One hand washes the other, you know.
Old 07 October 2002, 07:29   #12
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Sleep with snakes and wake up with venom in your veins...
Old 07 October 2002, 07:34   #13
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Good point. I am glad they are at each other'sthroats again

Oh, and I found this great app. It allows transfer of Mac files between Windows and Mac emus with no corruption. And, it creates hardfiles, I think useable on Amiga emus!!

ftp://ftp.rz.uni-kiel.de/pub/anaesth...e/Hdexp131.zip
Old 07 October 2002, 07:35   #14
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Oh let me plug this:
Its called HVF Explorer.
Old 07 October 2002, 07:55   #15
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Will try it when I get home. None of the Aladdin decoders properly un HQX/SIT my Mac version of Quartermass.
Old 07 October 2002, 13:56   #16
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Let me know if I can help. Ermm..what is Quartermass??
Hey, screnshots of the great sub sim game, Wolfpack. Better graphics than the PC, Amiga or Atai St version. Interface is smooth too.
Old 07 October 2002, 14:37   #17
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Here is Caeser II running fine. I have one drawback with free Mac emulation: No PPC emulation. Of course this is extremely difficult, due tot he high number of registers on a PPC chip compared to the palty amount on Intel chips.

Last edited by Fred the Fop; 24 January 2003 at 16:05.
Old 07 October 2002, 14:40   #18
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
Doesn mac os 9 run with Basilisk? I've downloaded the mac emulator pack, it's an AIAB like pack for mac emulation and mac os 8.1 is included. Do you have a clue how I can set up os 9 instead?
Someone else Pm'ed me with the same query, Burseg. As far as I know, Basilisk suppors only 8.1 maximum. All the free ones do as well. It'll be a long while before 9 is emulated. You can buy the Gold version of Soft Mac that emulates 9. But it is expensive.

I never found the one you are talking about. I went through a bit of trouble finally getting 8.1 running. Do you remember where you downloaded it from?
Old 08 October 2002, 00:30   #19
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Hey, The coders at Basilisk have implemented JIT. Yup, Amiga and Mac emulator programmers working together! Download here:

http://gwenole.beauchesne.online.fr/basilisk2/
Old 08 October 2002, 03:04   #20
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Let me know if I can help. Ermm..what is Quartermass??
Hey, screnshots of the great sub sim game, Wolfpack. Better graphics than the PC, Amiga or Atai St version. Interface is smooth too.
But the buttons are all standard Mac-style buttons, which is something I always hated about Mac software. Games should not have system gadgets, IMHO.

@Quartermass
Duh...my bad. I meant Quarterstaff (Infocom game).