English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 31 May 2002, 19:56   #1
Jaivan

Question Sound, Tried everything

I just want to know wether the Sound Blaster Audio PCI 128 card,
is one of those cards that won't work ok never with Winuae.

I've read all the readmes, many discussions and tried things like

: Downloading latest drivers
: Try every Sound buffer size and any Sound option (accuracy,
quality and the new lag control)

But still the sound is buggy, it just chuckles, plays 4 secs and
stop. If I change the buffer size it plays 6 secs ands stops...

I dunno what else to try, any help? or should I stick to Winfellow? . I would be just happy if someone told be if my
card is one of the 'bad' ones, because I'm a bit frustated of
downloading every version the last years, only to realize that
the sound problem doesn't disappear.

Computer specs:

PIII 750Mhz
256Mb RAM
TNT32 Riva
SoundBlaster Audio PCI 128

BTW, Opengl support works better for me. Thank you for your
work, anyway.

From San Sebastian, Spain

Old 31 May 2002, 20:12   #2
Djay
95th User

in the Display Tab, change refresh to skip every 2 or 3 frames...... this worked for me
Old 31 May 2002, 20:17   #3
Jaivan

Hooooo

If this works I won't care about losing a frame or two, thanks.
I just didn't try this because the sprites seem to move quite
smoothly with no frame skip. I'll try anyway, Thanks! (If only
the computer at work could support winuae... )

Old 31 May 2002, 21:07   #4
Djay
95th User

it doesn't make much difference to the visuals, but the sound was so much better...

... if you find that the Amiga crashes during loading etc... use default reframe frame rate, then change when you start playing.
Old 31 May 2002, 23:29   #5
CPC464

Send a message via ICQ to CPC464 Send a message via AIM to CPC464
I had a Sound Blaster PCI 128 and it always worked fine with WunUae

try a few different versions or messing about with the sound settings
Old 01 June 2002, 00:04   #6
Ryan_clemens
Gold Member

1ghz and less

I think people have got to realise that 1.0 Ghz and less CPU's cannot handle emulated amiga games all that well.
maybe it should stated that winuae is extremely CPU dependent.
and requires 1.3Ghz + for best results.

Jaivan you could sell your P3 for a decent price and buy yourself a celeron 1.3 for only a little more if your motherboard supports it.
that should give you plenty more speed. you could also try overclocking your P3 but I don't think it would be worth it as I overclocked my duron 1000 to 1200 on 133 fsb and I hardly noticed any difference in speed.

Last edited by Ryan_clemens; 01 June 2002 at 00:13.
Old 01 June 2002, 00:09   #7
Djay
95th User

so as my custom user says "14.32Mhz beats 2.4Ghz".....

WinUAE 08.08.R8 ran perfect on low spec PCs, surely the bulk of the code hasn't changed much since then, i know we have some really good features now, but still.

maybe Toni, should do a WinUAE lite................
Old 01 June 2002, 18:35   #8
alexh

I noticed a similar thing.

What CPU emulation are you using??

I was using 040 JIT and noticed that if I chose a different emulated CPU, or reduced the JIT cache to 0 Meg, then it fixed all sound problems.

I think that there must be some issues with JIT emulation and sound emulation synchronisation.

Later

Old 01 June 2002, 19:36   #9
Jaivan

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

Well I tried what DJay suggested and yes, improves the sounds but not that much. Besides Adjusting more to the Chipset speed improved a little the sound to.

Alex: I was using just 68000 emulation, thus with no JIT settings available. With 68020 the sound is likely though, regardless the jit settings.

Ryan: Maybe I should have stated that I'm a user interested at playing some old glories. I do not seek running Demos or tricky display effects. Anyway I find the Winuae politic of compatibility priority, I find it most respectable. But I'll stick to Winfellow to run Rick Dangerous This reminds me that I must buy a real amiga as fast as I can.
Djay: Thank you for your suggestions.

Old 05 June 2002, 13:42   #10
LUKas007

Yea, real Amiga rocks... No emu can be compared to a real hardware.
Old 05 June 2002, 16:55   #11
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Question

@Jaivan. What O/S are you using? I'm guessing that,like me you are using Windows 98? The "choppy sound" has been a recurring issue for some time now.
Apparently, most Win2K & XP users of the latest WinUAE's do not seem to experience any of these issues.
Like Djay said,if you're interested in a fast,non-choppy sound version of WinUAE try either 08.8r8,or 08.8r9 that is available right here in "The Zone" tab,(Top right corner).
Apparently the coder responsible for the old sound routine left the WinUAE dev. team after those releases, so a new sound routine was used.
Still, to their credit, they've been attempting to correct things since 0821rX series started.
Old 05 June 2002, 17:38   #12
Jaivan

Thumbs up

Windows 98 Indeed . Thank you for the info, now that I know
they are trying to fix it I'm happy. I use w2000 at work but
I prefer 98 since I still use some msdos based apps, like
RealSpectrum for instance . I'll consider to install w2000 (never XP) provided that any of you claim that works better than with 98

Old 21 June 2002, 19:56   #13
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Well I use windowsXP not to be the latest kid on the block! Its because it works better for me than 98/ME!
I still have a dualboot system running 98se for old apps and dodgy games that wont run.
Winuae works 100% with sound and picasso96 screen modes on my setup... the only problem i get is opengl wont work??? even tho my card is opengl and even listed as compatible with amithlon?
I thinks its true about the 1ghz cpu thing with uae. We have two setups based around Amd athlons! one has a 1ghz cpu and the other has a 900mhz cpu which seems just a tad slower with sound on uae...
This problem will go away completely (I hope) with all this new hardware thats coming in the next few months!
Then we will see mega powerfull amiga's! wonder if the 68060 could be emulated? wishfull thinking LOL
Old 23 June 2002, 16:34   #14
Noo_Noo

Re: 1ghz and less

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryan_clemens
1.0 Ghz and less CPU's cannot handle emulated amiga games all that well.
errrm, my celeron 900mHz runs the latest winUAE (23/6/02) very well...almost perfectly,in fact. the only problems i get are the sound breaking up slightly on occasions when i play Eye Of The Beholder. Here are my specs:

celeron 900
win XP proffesional ed.
GeForce 2 Ti
Soundblaster Live!

Old 25 June 2002, 19:01   #15
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Quote:
errrm, my celeron 900mHz runs the latest winUAE (23/6/02) very well
yeh so does our 900mhz athy! but the same thing happens as yours! the sounds breaks up a bit...

but the main system thats got the t-bird1.4 never kicks off unless i move the emulation screen around. in picasso96 full screen mode its 100% no problems!
Old 25 June 2002, 19:28   #16
Bloodwych

My friend runs the latest WinUAE on a K6-III 400, 128MB SDRAM and a sblive! with no problems in the sound department. He gets full speed emulation, full sound and no frame skip. It works 100% fine.

With my Duron 933, I can get 400MIPS with JIT enabled and 12 MIPS disabled for the CPU. Overall emulation has games and demos running sweet, including the very intensive ones.

I don't know what causes people to have these sound issues, but it's not lack of CPU power in most cases. I've seen people complain about this problem with the top rated intel/XP cpu's so it's something else causing the grief.
Old 25 June 2002, 23:57   #17
Drake1009

I'm still thinking the sound problem is the motherboard and conflicts between units.

Earlier I had extreme problems with it, until I got an upgrade (faster CPU and new motherboard). Before that the problem could easily be solved by replacing the GeForce graphics card with a TNT2 graphics card. My guess (which isn't worth much) is that the units in the pc overload the bus. On not good motherboards this would pose a problem. For me it was also apparent when it kept losing connection to my USB devices as soon as I tried going over a certain speed.
Old 26 June 2002, 16:43   #18
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Question

Hmm, but why then does the flakey sound issue only seems to be particulary apparent on Win9x, machines?
Before I upgraded to a Geforce 3 card,I had a TNT card,& I was still experiencing patchy sound on releases after 08.8r8/9.
Perhaps one of the WinUAE coders could enlighten us?

BTW-Electroblaster, did you use an upgrade version of XP, & more to the point,is your Windows 98 version an OEM version?
I've been debating about possibly getting XP home,but I had been a little unsure if you needed the retail version of Windows 98,(When the XP install will demand the old Win 98 disk for verification),or if a OEM version of Windows 98 is sufficient?
Old 26 June 2002, 16:59   #19
Paul
RIP Friends

Quote:
Originally posted by 7-Zark-7
I've been debating about possibly getting XP home,but I had been a little unsure if you needed the retail version of Windows 98,(When the XP install will demand the old Win 98 disk for verification),or if a OEM version of Windows 98 is sufficient?
Well I have XP Home and when I Installed it, XP setup never asked for 98 CD, I have the full install version though.
Old 26 June 2002, 17:30   #20
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

The full version of which, Windows 98, or XP home? As for not being prompted for the CD, I think that is only supposed to apply if you are upgrading that partition to XP (From Windows 98). If I understood things correctly, on a multi-booting setup,you'd need the older Windows 98 disk during the installation setup.

BTW-Paul, if you have the "full" version of XP, then you wouldn't need Windows 98 Cd either. What I'm actually asking about is people whom have bought the "upgrade" (ie:cheaper), version of XP home,& whether if they've done it successfully via having an OEM version of Windows 98.
I have read of instances where some OEM versions of 98SE,(Not of Win98 1st Ed, which I have though),could not be used with the "upgrade" version of Xp home.
I was less surprised users of the "Restore CD's" type of O/S's couldn't upgrade,(ie:your Compaq's,HP etc.), but I was a tad concerned that normal OEM versions,(with CD key/booklet etc.), may not be able to be used as an upgrade path. I'd be surprised if it were true, but it'd be reassuring to hear if anyone's done a multibooting O/S setup with '98 & Xp using an OEM 98 & the "upgrade version" of XP all the same.

Sorry to drag this off-topic,incidentally. PM,if need be. And if anyone can explain why the choppy sound issue exists for '9x PC's but not Win2K/XP, that'd be interesting too!

Last edited by 7-Zark-7; 26 June 2002 at 18:09.