English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 10 May 2019, 12:01   #1
Brick Nash
Prototron

Protracker loads song but not the samples

Hey folks, if this question is in the wrong section please feel free to move it.

Protracker is being really awkward and isn't loading the samples for my song when I load it up. All the note data is there when I open the song and it loads the sample names, but says "can't open file" when it tries to fetch the actual sample.

It seems to be having trouble reading the drawer with the samples in it, because when I navigate to it within Protracker it says "Can't open dir" when I try to open it, but all the samples are definitely there as I can see them when I navigate to the drawer in workbench.

I had to load a duplicate drawer with the samples on it onto the main workbench screen and then manually load the samples in one by one to get the sounds to work, but it doesn't save that way and I keep having to go through this method to get any sounds every time I load up my song.

As you can probably tell this is super tedious and annoying, but I don't know what's wrong or how to fix it as there seems to be very little documentation on Protracker, so any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Windows 7
WinUAE
WB 3.1
Protracker 3.15 with ST-04 Sample pack.
Old 10 May 2019, 13:55   #2
daxb

Does having samples and song in the same directory work for you? In the past it worked (only?) this way for me. I don't know if PT supports samples in a different directory then the song file. With PT2.3d I get the same error like you.
Old 10 May 2019, 17:23   #3
Steffest

Just save it as "Module" instead of "Song"?
Then all samples are included in the .mod file.
Old 11 May 2019, 01:11   #4
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Are the samples prefixed with things like st-01: (or anything before the colon) ? I copied my songs and sample disks to hd but forgot to assign the locations originally.
Old 12 May 2019, 12:53   #5
Brick Nash
Prototron

Thanks for the replies folks.

daxb, I tried having them in the same directory but that didn't work.

Steffest, I'll give that a try, although I thought that saving it as MOD would be like some sort of final un-editable mixdown.

Coagulus, there's no prefix but it does sometimes as for me to insert volume ST-01 when I choose "Sample" and then I click on the samples folder, but most of the time the samples just don't show in the Protracker navigator window (but as stated, they are there).
Old 12 May 2019, 13:43   #6
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Nash View Post
Thanks for the replies folks.

daxb, I tried having them in the same directory but that didn't work.

Steffest, I'll give that a try, although I thought that saving it as MOD would be like some sort of final un-editable mixdown.

Coagulus, there's no prefix but it does sometimes as for me to insert volume ST-01 when I choose "Sample" and then I click on the samples folder, but most of the time the samples just don't show in the Protracker navigator window (but as stated, they are there).
Save as a mod, you can still edit the samples and change them in a mod, just means instead of having to find all your associated sample disks, the samples you used are in the mod ready to be reused.

My advice would be to have snoopdos in the background to see why it won't load the samples, I suspect its to do with it looking for ST-01: type directories which is the naming convention for sample disks when Soundtrack/Protracker was first released.

Have you checked the settings?
Old 12 May 2019, 16:20   #7
daxb

If you haven't a very special reason to use song instead of mod then use/save your modules as module. As the others wrote, mod is the usual easier way to go with full control to your music. The only reason for song I can think of is if you want to release a game or music disk on floppy disk and many modules share the same samples. Then you can save disk space by using songs. Seldom today.