English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 15 October 2010, 09:05   #1
daznic

set up workbench 2 with winuae

I`m trying to install workbench 2.05 on a CF card with winuae, to then fit into my Amiga A600.
The installation was succesful, but I have a small DH0 folder with the system files on, and a large ( 3.7gb ) work folder as a Floppy Icon, It shows as being 100% used and cannot be written to. - I tried to format this in workbench ( took 6 hours, then failed ! )
I think I may have slipped up in the partitioning stage maybe ?
So before I install workbench, how exactly should I set up my 4GB CF card in HD Toolbox ? - step by step please !
Thanks
Old 15 October 2010, 10:14   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Dont use such a big partition with this version of workbench, to use this size partition without problems you would need to install a file system like SFS but this is no use in a 68k amiga. If you have a copy of PFS3 you could use that but if you will stick to FFS I suggest splitting the 3.7 into two equal size partitions <2gb.

Steve.
Old 15 October 2010, 10:14   #3
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

sorry typed on phone hence poor grammar!
Old 15 October 2010, 10:20   #4
thomas

6 hours - you have a lot of patience. You should always use quick format on harddrives, complete format is unnecessary. And you should *never* do a complete format on flash memory, it only reduces its life time.

You probably have not enough memory for that big partition. The format program wants to assemble the entire bitmap in memory, this needs a lot of memory. Make smaller partitions, then it should work.
Old 15 October 2010, 10:38   #5
daznic

Thanks for your tips guys, as I`m new at this I`m a bit confused with HD Toolbox, what is the prodeure for preparing / formatting / partitioning my CF Card ready for workbench install ?

Thanks
Old 15 October 2010, 11:41   #6
thomas

- run HDToolbox
- select the new hdd
- "Change Drive Type"
- "Define New..."
- "Read Configuration"
- change the File Name to "ram:drive definitions" (this prevents the useless file "drive definitions" from being written to your floppy disk)
- "Ok"
- "Ok"
- if a message tells you that FastFileSystem could not be found, click on "Continue"
- "Partition Drive"
- click on the small blue arrow and drag it to the left until the size says 200 Meg.
- drag the second partition to the left and change its size to 1900 Meg
- click on "New Partition" and then click into the empty space. Make sure that the new partition is not bigger than 1900 Meg.
- change "Partition Device Name" to some reasonable value, for example DH2. Press Enter or Tab to make the change active. (Always press Enter or Tab when you change an input field, otherwise the change will not be taken.)
- enable "Advanced Options"
- click on the first partition
- change Buffers to 100. (don't forget to press Enter!)
- click on "Change".
- change Mask to 0x7ffffffe and MaxTransfer to 0x1fe00 (don't forget to press Enter!!)
- "Ok"
- now click on the second and then on the third partition and do the same as above. Change buffers to 200 for the lager partitions.
- click on the first partition again and make sure that "Bootable" is checked.
- "Ok"
- "Save Changes To Drive"
- "Exit"
- if the disk had Amiga partitions before, you are prompted to reboot.
- if the disk did not have partition before, you can run DF0:System/Format and select the new partitions from the list to format them. Or just reboot and wait until the "dh0:unformatted" icons appear, then select one at a time and choose "Format Disk" from the menu.
- when formatting harddrive partitions, always select Quick Format.
Old 15 October 2010, 11:43   #7
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Sticky!!!!!
Old 15 October 2010, 12:04   #8
daznic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
- run HDToolbox
- select the new hdd
- "Change Drive Type"
- "Define New..."
- "Read Configuration"
- change the File Name to "ram:drive definitions" (this prevents the useless file "drive definitions" from being written to your floppy disk)
- "Ok"
- "Ok"
- if a message tells you that FastFileSystem could not be found, click on "Continue"
- "Partition Drive"
- click on the small blue arrow and drag it to the left until the size says 200 Meg.
- drag the second partition to the left and change its size to 1900 Meg
- click on "New Partition" and then click into the empty space. Make sure that the new partition is not bigger than 1900 Meg.
- change "Partition Device Name" to some reasonable value, for example DH2. Press Enter or Tab to make the change active. (Always press Enter or Tab when you change an input field, otherwise the change will not be taken.)
- enable "Advanced Options"
- click on the first partition
- change Buffers to 100. (don't forget to press Enter!)
- click on "Change".
- change Mask to 0x7ffffffe and MaxTransfer to 0x1fe00 (don't forget to press Enter!!)
- "Ok"
- now click on the second and then on the third partition and do the same as above. Change buffers to 200 for the lager partitions.
- click on the first partition again and make sure that "Bootable" is checked.
- "Ok"
- "Save Changes To Drive"
- "Exit"
- if the disk had Amiga partitions before, you are prompted to reboot.
- if the disk did not have partition before, you can run DF0:System/Format and select the new partitions from the list to format them. Or just reboot and wait until the "dh0:unformatted" icons appear, then select one at a time and choose "Format Disk" from the menu.
- when formatting harddrive partitions, always select Quick Format.
Wow thanks very much - fantastic !!