English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 December 2015, 17:44   #41
Amiga1992

THat video surely is a good teaser!
Loved the bullet rain that happens towards the end, but with that spaceship shape, it feels a bit hard to imagine how gameplay is.

If I may suggest something, I think it'd be great if you reduce sprite sizes a bunch and allow for more room. The sprites, especially the main one, look really too large, and not fitting of a Danmaku-type shmup.
Also use case studies to analyze bullet-rain patterns as the one in your prototype look prone to be impossible to pass unscathed, I'd recommend any game by Raizing or Cave from the late 90s.

Anyway keep it up! I am particularly excited that you are planning to have a CD32 version. Our CD32s need more love
Old 12 December 2015, 15:02   #42
buzzybee

Hi guys! Glad you like the video!

@Akira: sprites size is in discussion. It´s a matter of balance and therefore will be tackled when all technical issues are out of the way and "only" enemy attack patterns are left to do :-) As for bullet rain: I´m pretty aware of Caves shooters. Please keep in mind that I´m a sole developer, working on this project in my sparetime. No publisher paying for precious time, no years of experience in designing attack waves. Will do my best though to convince and surprise you! :-)
Old 12 December 2015, 17:17   #43
Amiga1992

I know back in the 90s we all wanted larger and larger sprites, but to be honest, I love low res games with small, well done sprites, they feel like they make better use of the screen. Look at Lazycow's Tigerclaw for an example!

My suggestion was in case you had not seen any of those. To be fair horizontal scrolling Danmaku-type shmups aren't my favorite, I usually think they don't work great (many times do suffer from sprite elephantiasis :P), but here's looking forward for you to change that view My CD32 is waiting anxiously
Old 13 December 2015, 01:40   #44
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

I want this for my a1200 when it's done.
I'd buy a physical copy for sure.
Old 13 December 2015, 01:54   #45
buzzybee

@Akira: Same here, I prefer Silkworm over Ikaruga if I had to choose. Or do I? Anyway, for RESHOOT I´m striving for a good mixture of traditional attack patterns we all have seen on the Amiga with Danmaku-type moments.

@Adrian: Good to know. A physical copy is exactly what I´m targeting too with RESHOOT. Let me tell you why: I developed an iPhone-game a couple of months ago. The digital-only release was such an underwhelming feeling – I´m really looking forward to finish RESHOOT and get my hands on it. Physically.
Old 13 December 2015, 02:29   #46
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quite impressive size for the big enemy sprites and the frame rate seems constant at all times even with large number of enemies and/or bullets. I note that most enemy sprites do not seem to use more than three colors so I guess the big ones must use hardware sprites (two of them for the largest ones)?
Old 13 December 2015, 03:23   #47
Marcuz

I just love what I see and hear in the video. I don't have a working Amiga anymore, but I wish you the best of luck completing the game, it has a great style!
Old 13 December 2015, 03:45   #48
buzzybee

@ReadOnlyCat: The framerate target is a full 50 Hertz on a real PAL-Amiga at all times, the emulator (which is used in the video) has trouble syncing / keeping up. Good guess about the sprites - but no. Sprites are used for bullets and player ship only. The big objects could be more colorful than they are in the video. Maybe in the next iteration of the game version some things look different :-)

@Marcuz: Thanks a lot. Cheers have to go to Kevin Saunders and Adam Morton too for fabulous pixels and music. You might want to have a go at the game with some kind of emulator ...
Old 13 December 2015, 11:24   #49
vulture

Impressive!
Old 13 December 2015, 18:48   #50
Reido

Very impressive!
Old 19 January 2016, 19:40   #51
Amigajay

Any update on this?, has to be my most anticipated Amiga game for quite a while!
Old 20 January 2016, 07:00   #52
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Any update on this?, has to be my most anticipated Amiga game for quite a while!
Easiest way to get updates: become a Patron via Patreon.
Just put $1 per month if you do not want to take any risks.

The more people do it instead of simply waiting, the higher the odds this project moves forward.
Old 20 January 2016, 08:24   #53
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
Easiest way to get updates: become a Patron via Patreon.
Just put $1 per month if you do not want to take any risks.

The more people do it instead of simply waiting, the higher the odds this project moves forward.
I was just asking if there was an update, if not then fine, im not paying for information.
I personally dont like these patron sites that seem to have popped up everywhere lately, id be willing to buy a complete game when done at a set price, but to put money say $25 or whatever a month and not know it could be another 12 months before its done, again fine if you want to, but dont come on here telling people to pay for information.
Old 20 January 2016, 10:33   #54
buzzybee

Hi guys!

Sorry for not updating a while. See, RESHOOT is being made in my sparetime. Christmas, new year and family took most of my attention the last weeks. But not all. The game makes good progress. It´s already running in a so-called "game-loop", which means titlescreen and gamescreen are working and handshaking. Also all basic engine stuff is working, things are exploding, score is counting etcpp. I intendo to shoot a new video in a few days.

Oh. And I did first tests on real hardware. Interesting stuff happens when one develops on an emulator and then tries to start the same code on an A1200. :-)

But of course, ReadOnlyCat is right: Any support via Patreon is very appreciated, even a symbolic Euro.
Old 20 January 2016, 10:54   #55
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
Christmas, new year and family took most of my attention the last weeks.
That's much more important than any Amiga game!

Quote:
Oh. And I did first tests on real hardware. Interesting stuff happens when one develops on an emulator and then tries to start the same code on an A1200. :-)
Indeed. Emulators are nice for fast development these days but you're in for a surprise or two when testing stuff on the real deal, I know that all too well.

Good luck with the game, sounds quite promising so far!
Old 20 January 2016, 11:01   #56
Amigajay

Quote:
Hi guys!

Sorry for not updating a while. See, RESHOOT is being made in my sparetime. Christmas, new year and family took most of my attention the last weeks. But not all. The game makes good progress. It´s already running in a so-called "game-loop", which means titlescreen and gamescreen are working and handshaking. Also all basic engine stuff is working, things are exploding, score is counting etcpp. I intendo to shoot a new video in a few days.
Sounds good, thanks very much for the update, look forward seeing the new video
Old 20 January 2016, 11:55   #57
DamienD
Banned

Looks very cool buzzybee. Well done and look forward to this being complete sometime in the future
Old 20 January 2016, 15:11   #58
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
I was just asking if there was an update, if not then fine, im not paying for information.
I personally dont like these patron sites that seem to have popped up everywhere lately, id be willing to buy a complete game when done at a set price, but to put money say $25 or whatever a month and not know it could be another 12 months before its done, again fine if you want to, but dont come on here telling people to pay for information.
Well. This is not what I said.

Paying makes the project move forward and thus increases the odds of it having news updates. Information just is a consequence of this.

And 25$? You can just put one dollar if you want.

If you prefer the classic way of producing games where you need to go through publishers/investors/editors/etc before a single penny reaches the actual developer then that is fine but I very much like the ability to pay directly to the person actually doing the work.

This comes with risks, of course but at 1$ per month, what do you risk exactly?
A sandwich per year?
Old 20 January 2016, 16:40   #59
Amigajay

Quote:
Well. This is not what I said.
Not in so many words no, but you did say "Easiest way to get updates: become a Patron via Patreon" which involves payment, so again, i'm not paying for requesting information on how a homebrew game is getting on

Quote:
Paying makes the project move forward and thus increases the odds of it having news updates. Information just is a consequence of this.

And 25$? You can just put one dollar if you want.
Not necessary true, it might spur devs on, but there is no guarantee on getting a finished product, or indeed any product.
And one dollar doesn't get you a game at the end, $10 a month is the lowest, but again who knows how many months it will take, again nothing against the guy doing the game, i just don't like the principle of this Patron platform.

Quote:
If you prefer the classic way of producing games where you need to go through publishers/investors/editors/etc before a single penny reaches the actual developer then that is fine but I very much like the ability to pay directly to the person actually doing the work.

This comes with risks, of course but at 1$ per month, what do you risk exactly?
A sandwich per year?
How is this related to publishing a game the classic way, the Amiga has long been dead, 99.9% do stuff on the Amiga for the love of it, they would be silly to think they will make any real money from it, just because its a game doesn't make it more worthwhile than other peoples work for the Amiga, be it software, hardware, maintaining websites etc etc

As i said i will gladly lay down 30-40$ on a finished product, but i will leave it to other people if they wish to put money down on something that is a unfinished project, just something i don't agree with, obviously you don't agree but there you go
Old 20 January 2016, 17:30   #60
buzzybee

As much as I´d like to concentrate on coding RESHOOT, may I add something to the money topic.

Developing a game like RESHOOT is sometimes fun and sometimes labour. It takes months and a fair amount of perseverance, believe me. Most of the time I´m heavily motivated, because the game grows and looks more promising each week. But on some occassions one just wonders: why?

But I feel obliged to deliver a convincing game, especially to Patreon-contributors, for obvious reasons. It´s their kind of real life support that enables me to reward not only myself, but also people around me who bear with me and my time-intensive work on RESHOOT.

See, these earnings from Patreon may not be much. That´s right for sure. But it´s something as opposed to nothing and it adds to the strong force called motivation. That´s why I appreciate supporters for my RESHOOT-project and all artists on Patreon.

Having said that, I can totally understand people who want to try (or at least see) before spending their hard earned money. Nothing wrong with that. A boxed CD-version is one of the targets for RESHOOT. Maybe even a diskversion, if people ask for it.