English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 September 2008, 16:19   #1
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quake Level Editors?

Wow, there's a lot of Quake talk here at the moment.

Do any of you have experience editing Quake levels, only I was thinking of trying to do some stuff specifically for Quake on my Amiga.

I'm interested in any recommendations regarding editing software, with ease of use being my top priority. I assume I'll need to use a pc (or mac?) to do this, although somebody said there was a Miggy Quake level editor.

p.s.
Anybody wishing to say that running Quake on an Amiga is a complete waste of time, let alone trying to edit levels please assume that I am already fully conversant with that point of view.
Old 19 September 2008, 16:23   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Here you find a nice site about Quake editing : http://www.quaketerminus.com/tools.htm
I would go for BSP and Worldcraft They are both quite easy to use.
Like you said : Please forget about editing on the Amiga very fast Angus
Old 19 September 2008, 16:30   #3
girv
Mostly Harmless

FWIW Angus, the original Quake level compiler tools were ported to the Amiga, but are very slow and not very friendly to use even if you're prepared to wait.
Old 19 September 2008, 16:33   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

@girv
Do you remember when you had to edit the map files with a text editor and then run manually through the programs? That was a funny time... not
Old 19 September 2008, 16:37   #5
girv
Mostly Harmless

@TCD yep

I was writing a program that converted AB3D map data to the Quake textual .map format, then compiling them with QBSP. Compared to compiling the map on the A1200 060, it was quicker to copy the .map file to the PC via floppy to compile and test it there! I think it was a K6-450 at the time.
Old 19 September 2008, 16:40   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Oh yes I remember when running vis and light with the highest settings on my Pentium I 200 Mhz it could take 6 hours for a quite simple map
I found this about the map format : http://www.gamers.org/dEngine/quake/QDP/qmapspec.html
Oh these memories
Old 19 September 2008, 16:45   #7
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Here you find a nice site about Quake editing : http://www.quaketerminus.com/tools.htm
I would go for BSP and Worldcraft They are both quite easy to use.
Like you said : Please forget about editing on the Amiga very fast Angus

Thanks! I just had a quick look.

How much flexibility is there though? I know there's a Quake Rally mod for the pc, and I would love to try something similar for the Amiga, but would it be possible to produce a Mechwarrior style level?

...or a WW2 tank level with hills and valleys?
Old 19 September 2008, 16:47   #8
girv
Mostly Harmless

It should be as flexible as the PC version, I'd think. The "mods" use a language called QuakeC that is interpreted by the Quake game engine itself. If the engine has been fully ported to the Amiga, then you should have no problem. I think.
Old 19 September 2008, 16:52   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by girv View Post
It should be as flexible as the PC version, I'd think. The "mods" use a language called QuakeC that is interpreted by the Quake game engine itself. If the engine has been fully ported to the Amiga, then you should have no problem. I think.
Since most of the ingame AI and interaction logic is coded in QuakeC (you see that when unpacking the .PAK files) there should be no difference to the PC version. You should know that executing QuakeC code consumes some precious CPU cycles Don't make your code too complex or it slows to a crawl
Old 19 September 2008, 16:55   #10
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by girv View Post

Well, no - I think I'd be steered by what you said about the speed issues and use a (stinking) pc for the job - but attempt to keep things limited to the point where an Amiga could achieve a reasonable (relatively speaking!!!) framerate.

But this QuakeC thing, is it something a non-programmer like me could make some progress with, without having to "go to college"?
Old 19 September 2008, 17:04   #11
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
But this QuakeC thing, is it something a non-programmer like me could make some progress with, without having to "go to college"?
Not really. Even if it is 'just' a script language it's requires a basic understanding of C to produce some special effects. There should be some useful tutorials out there though.
Old 19 September 2008, 17:05   #12
girv
Mostly Harmless

QuakeC is a cut down, inconsistent and unreliable a**e of a language that bears some syntactical resemblance to proper C.

It's a lot easier than C as I recall, you may have some luck.