English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 March 2009, 19:15   #41
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
i personaly never liked the c64.... having to choose between colors and speed, ouch !

Prefer CPC hands down
Ditto!

The C64 remains objectively still better than the ZX Spectrum. I appreciate the latter now only out of rose tinted glasses of nostalgia, whilst at the time I looked down at its poor graphics and sound abilities.
Old 22 March 2009, 19:33   #42
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
to quote someone else round here

PMSL
Old 22 March 2009, 19:44   #43
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

I had the Commodore Plus/4 - Better graphics and BASIC than both C64 and Speccy... Trouble was to keep compatability with C16 most games were shite
Old 22 March 2009, 20:39   #44
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0jaws View Post
Taa Daa!

wish granted.

Old 26 March 2009, 12:20   #45
asm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze View Post
wish granted.

Class

Well I had a BBC Micro *snigger*. Never owned/used a C64, although I "borrowed" a 48K Spectrum (rubber keys ftw!) for a month or so one summer.

J *Symbol Shift* P P Enter ... never forgot that
Old 26 March 2009, 12:31   #46
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

This is the only 'vs.' war worth reading...

http://home.earthlink.net/~markstewart/kirk.index.html
Old 26 March 2009, 13:13   #47
pmc
gone

I can clear this one up boys.

Is the Speccy better than the C64?

No.

End of thread!
Old 26 March 2009, 15:19   #48
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc View Post
I can clear this one up boys.

Is the Speccy better than the C64?

No.

End of thread!
And C64 is not better than Speccy.
Old 26 March 2009, 15:22   #49
pmc
gone

Sensi, I'd have to agree.

Had both, used both, enjoyed both.

For me personally though I think I love the C64 a little bit more for a couple of reasons:

VIC-II & SID

I love demos and appreciate demo coding so, for me, custom chips rule OK.
Old 26 March 2009, 15:27   #50
Sensi
Unregistered User

But C64 or Speccy are better than CPC or Atari No, stop it.
Old 26 March 2009, 19:34   #51
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
The reason for which C64 has not worked here in france is that the CPC was easier
to use (best 8 bits basic hands down), some unequaled games (Iron lord, AMC, after the war to name some star names) on a technical point of view, graphical point of view, etc...
Old 26 March 2009, 19:45   #52
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
The reason for which C64 has not worked here in france is that the CPC was easier
to use (best 8 bits basic hands down), some unequaled games (Iron lord, AMC, after the war to name some star names) on a technical point of view, graphical point of view, etc...
I would assume the marketing for the CPC was better in France. There were no plausible reasons for buying a CPC, if we are talking about games. AMC? Are you kidding?
Old 26 March 2009, 19:47   #53
tomcat666
Retro Freak

I wouldnt really mention technical point of view, since most games that used scrolling even on spectrum (and definetly on c64) couldnt use it on CPC because the CPU would have to shift around WAY too much data to be fast enough. Graphically it was about the same as c64 with brighter (and therefore more unrealistic) colours. Games that you mention might look better on CPC (Iron Lord is more or less static, AMC uses 8x8 scrolling which was the same on spectrum and looks awfull, After the war was probably the worst beat-em-up ever on any platform, but there are some gems that you could mention like Gryzor (which lacked scrolling but made up with possibly the best coloured graphics with CPC palette), Chase HQ, Get Dexter, Prehistorik 2 (again no scrolling) and a few others) but when comparing games all-around the c64 wins without any doubt... There are some that will be better on CPC (and ZX) like the ones I mentioned - Chase HQ, Wec Le Mans, even Super Hang-On, isometric stuff like Head over heels, BatMan, etc. but those are really in the minority.
Why did CPC sell so well in France - no idea. I have a vague memory that it had something to do with it being made there and there were less taxes to pay or something like that, but I might be completely wrong.
Old 30 March 2009, 21:47   #54
Hurrah Brother
Caution, Buffoon Posting!

The C64 was better than the spectrum, but I wanted an Atari 800, but could only afford a spectrum. These days, I still own a couple of Spectrum and Atari 8bitters. I liked the Atari 8 bit enough to follow the design team to their next product (the Amiga), but the speccy, it gets me all misty eyed and rose tinted.
Old 30 March 2009, 22:05   #55
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
I would assume the marketing for the CPC was better in France. There were no plausible reasons for buying a CPC, if we are talking about games. AMC? Are you kidding?
Yeah Astro Marine Corps mate ! Just so good ! Or even Gryzor ! Yes the marketing was strong, but here is the facts :

Best basic of 8 bits machines ; great ability to get more colors on screen ; a huge load of games from the best publishers (Guess why Ocean has made so many blockbusters on it) ; The sound is quite nice for what they made with it ;

The reason why the C64 didn't made it there is because of the kind of display used ; the overall aspect of the computer itself ; it was not sold with a screen (so many parents
here didn't want to get their kid stuck on the family TV => lack of monitor screen) ;

This computer was not adapted to the french market / to what most french were wanting to get their grip on. Later we will get it with the amiga => colors + speed + sound.

Last edited by dlfrsilver; 30 March 2009 at 22:12.
Old 30 March 2009, 22:10   #56
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Yeah Astro Marine Corps mate ! Just so good ! Or even Gryzor !
Well AMC isn't a good game in general, still wonder why you mention it here. For Gryzor: Giant pixels, no scrolling. Sure, better than the crappy C64 game but far away from decent the NES/MSX ports.

The Atari 800 XL was technically good enough, sadly they didn't ported enough 8-bit classics for this machine.

For the "better" CPC colors: A lot of machines were sold with a green monitor.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 30 March 2009 at 22:21.
Old 30 March 2009, 23:25   #57
humble worm

just found it - in 1985 group of polish astronomers used zx spectrum and an own constructed device to hack tv signal - they put some anti-government slogans on screen during news : [ Show youtube player ]
(0:12 evidence number 2 LOL)
Old 31 March 2009, 00:48   #58
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble worm View Post
just found it - in 1985 group of polish astronomers used zx spectrum and an own constructed device to hack tv signal - they put some anti-government slogans on screen during news : [ Show youtube player ]
(0:12 evidence number 2 LOL)
So it's a FACT: the ZX Spectrum was "revolutionary" indeed!
Old 31 March 2009, 03:47   #59
Adropac2
Zone Friend

From a technical point of view(not movement of most 3d poly stuff obviously) the C64 was obviously much better but the feel you got from both machines was really rather different and not really comparable in how it asthetically all felt of course

If i'd grown up owning a Spectrum then the games i remembered would feel entirely different to those on the C64 - almost always more dream like muddy experiences when i now think back to my time on the Spectrum - almost abstract at times due to it's generally monochrome limitations

C64 was definitely a superior arcade style delivering machine but i love the spectrum's quirks and just general warmth you got - C64 by comparison was like playing on a cloudy day and a little cold an experience - not in any way a bad thing though

For me though, i love the C64's cold atmosphere from it's colours and this probably explains why i love a good dull cloudy day(not the very dark grey mind), but then i grew up on the machine for a good chunk of time

Very lucky of course to have grown up with what were pretty much the most important of games machine in our history, and i think that makes us all basically part of the same club anyway if you were in any way involved with playing or using them

Magical era and i don't like to talk bad about these great machines and times

Last edited by Adropac2; 31 March 2009 at 03:53.
Old 31 March 2009, 04:23   #60
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
So it's a FACT: the ZX Spectrum was "revolutionary" indeed!
Those eastern european Spectrums!
Red october blood in them :P