English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: Name the OS which changed your experience with emulators, plz
Windows XP 22 66.67%
Other flavour of Windows 4 12.12%
Windows Vista 3 9.09%
MacOS X 1 3.03%
Linux 3 9.09%
Other (Unix, MS-DOS, BeOS...) 4 12.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 December 2008, 13:36   #21
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
depending on hardware I use

winxp pro
win for legacy pc`s
win2k

cant` realy say which is best or brought me to emulated systems
and the only plus point that i can find fo vista is that Toni uses it personaly I`d rarther do more with less
Old 13 December 2008, 18:11   #22
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
OT
You can't fool Vista activation with a stupid crack (I am reffering to the WPA patch that works on XP). Activated Vista computers are untampered with, even pirated copies.

Also, it is not because YOU secured XP that it is a secure OS. XP computers, with firewalls on and updated antivirus programs, were targeted by two or three massive Trojan waves (SoBig...) worldwide, and this was a premiere in computer history, allowed only by the vulnerable nature of this crappy OS, and I am not even speaking about its amazing infestation with spywares, via IE 6.
/OT

Last edited by NewDeli; 13 December 2008 at 18:17.
Old 13 December 2008, 18:17   #23
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

What a strange question?!

I've not considered the OS to have any influence on my Emulator experience.

I'm a Windows XP Pro 32-bit user (isn't everyone?) but Win98 was just as much fun. Cept crashes were a bit more fatal back then

I tried Vista Ultimate Edition when it came out but it was considerably slower on the same hardware as XP and offered no enhancements on the user experience (for the hardware I had) so I reverted back to XP

Last edited by alexh; 13 December 2008 at 18:25.
Old 13 December 2008, 18:41   #24
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
Well, to a varying degree, emulators evolved with subsequent OSes, just consider Toni gave up supporting Win98 with the newest WinUAE versions.

At the very least, it seems hard to deny the merging of mainstream OSes and NT was a major breakthrough in terms of stability.

Also, take the example of Fedora, the developers of SDL mame lobbied to include their emulator, at least to make its installation with all the necessary libs as painless as possible.
Old 13 December 2008, 19:34   #25
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
OT
Also, it is not because YOU secured XP that it is a secure OS. XP computers, with firewalls on and updated antivirus programs, were targeted by two or three massive Trojan waves (SoBig...) worldwide, and this was a premiere in computer history, allowed only by the vulnerable nature of this crappy OS, and I am not even speaking about its amazing infestation with spywares, via IE 6.
/OT
Well I'm using XP since 2001 and NEVER had a virus or trojan on my home computers.
It depends how you protect yourself and specially how do you interact with potential threats by your behavior. I've seen a good deal of seasoned IT managers opening emails and their attachments from unknown sources and just by reading to the subject of the email we all knew that it was a phony. These same IT managers deactivated the update notifications and didn't made any security update for months, because they said that "not updating made the computer faster".

I did see my brother install XP three times in a row, when i told him before that he should install the antivirus before connecting to the internet (sasserworm times).

I think people know but don't care taking some basic security measures.

I use Firefox since ver 0.7. Never liked IE but had to use since was no real alternative.

I use free products for my security besides Zone Alarm Pro. For years AVG + Spybot Search and Destroy + Zone Alarm Pro with the combination of Firefox+NoScript makes my day.

But you have to be proactive with your security, not relying that you OS can make everything for you on that matter.
Old 14 December 2008, 00:43   #26
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I started using emus on XP and it was all fine. I now use Vista and it is all fine.
Old 14 December 2008, 04:13   #27
Avanze
Amiga User

I have to say Windows 95a or b, whichever because I had my copy patched to hell. PSEmuPro and Ultra64 emulators rocked me on that system back in the day. Those emulators took me totally by surprise. I don't recall updating to Windows 98, I might have, bit fuzzy recollection, but 95 was just so stable for me, as is XP now. Which is just solid for emulation/gaming purposes.