English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 January 2017, 00:08   #101
dax

Guys, please upload games from BTTR (if anyone has it on disk), because FS-UAE supports these games. And some of us would be very grateful for these.
Example games: Superfrog, Slamtilt....

PM request sent also to Thalion
Old 14 January 2017, 00:55   #102
DamienD
Banned

I haven't checked but surely most, if not all BTTR disks are in TOSEC these days? They may not have the same filenames as what you may be searching for but the CRC32s should match.
Old 14 January 2017, 01:17   #103
DamienD
Banned

...just to add to my last comment, the only stuff I grabbed from BTTR back in 1999 / 2000 / 2001 is stored on an old HDD in a folder named "Save Disks".

I have "92" files in the folder but I'm positive (without running a CLRMamePro scan) that these are all in TOSEC these days

@Dax; can you provide CRC32s for the "BTTR" disks that you believe are missing?
Old 14 January 2017, 09:32   #104
dax

I copied all of files from:
Commodore Amiga - Games - [ADF] (TOSEC-v2015-12-28)
Commodore Amiga - Games - Public Domain - [ADF] (TOSEC-v2015-12-28)

to FS-UAE directories and the "BTTR" editions not recognized. Used "Update file database" of course.

I can't export CRC32 through FS-UAE. No such options via GUI.
As for quick search no "Superfrog BTTR" and "SlamTilt BTTR".
But for sure it would be more

Will You upload these files for me to test?

Last edited by dax; 14 January 2017 at 09:43.
Old 14 January 2017, 13:45   #105
DamienD
Banned

Besides the BTTR game disks already in TOSEC I only have the Save Disks. I can upload them but probably not much use...
Old 14 January 2017, 14:29   #106
dax

Understood. So conclusion is: they in Tosec and FS-UAE don't recognize it. That's why I see it as missed.
No need to upload Save Disks - they in Tosec too.

I Appreciate Your answer.

Last edited by dax; 14 January 2017 at 23:56.
Old 25 January 2017, 17:10   #107
SunChild
EAB Noobie

The real shame of BTTR gone isn't its ADFs (which as said are now all in TOSEC), but the loss of its extensive FTP section which included many many shareware and CD-ROM PD collections (the full Fred Fish series and many more)... Unfortunately the site vanished before I could manage to grab all that.

Allegedly Thalion (EAB user, not the company, duh!) did, but if he ever took action to share/upload anything with fellow EAB members I haven't heard about it.
Bobic (cofounder of BTTR with Hippie2000) stated more than 2 years ago that he intended to do sth about bringing the site back online someday, but there again nothing ever followed suit that I heard of.
Then there's ReadOnlyCat that stepped in to suggest (since he seems to live in Norway) he could contact the University whose server used to host BTTR... 3 times in a row, without actually ever doing it (isn't it better to just shut the hell up then?). After reminding him 2 times, people here just gave up asking him about it (actually it feels more like he was just having fun with people here than actually meaning to ever do anything about it, but it may be that he actually IS that much forgetful and unable to keep his word, who knows...).

Now, I have given up following the matter much, and if ever the FTP collections of BTTR are available anywhere I don't know (but pointers would always be welcome, sure! ^_-)

That's the state of things as of today AFAIK. Gosh, that thread is an ever-flowing spring of disappointments and frustration...
Old 28 January 2017, 08:42   #108
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Besides the BTTR game disks already in TOSEC I only have the Save Disks. I can upload them but probably not much use...
True, but i bet the difference would be BTTR collection would be playable across the board.. TOSEC is always "hit and miss" Less likely to know what works and what doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunChild View Post
That's the state of things as of today AFAIK. Gosh, that thread is an ever-flowing spring of disappointments and frustration...
Ya, but it's a good way to kill the afternoon

Last edited by DamienD; 29 January 2017 at 12:31.
Old 28 January 2017, 11:54   #109
DamienD
Banned

Hey amiga_Forever,

That second quote in your post above isn't from me!!! (so removed my name)

It's from the seemingly "Mr. Positive" <add sarcasm> SunChild.

Last edited by DamienD; 29 January 2017 at 12:31.
Old 29 January 2017, 01:37   #110
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Hullos everyone.
I have obtained from a Norwegian Oslo friend the contact info of an ex colleague who now works as a professor at the University which hosted BTTR. This was several months ago and I have been very busy with other projects since I mentioned my Oslo contacts earlier in this thread but I will do my best to contact him to ask if he can try to obtain information about what happened to the data hosted on their server.
I won't promise this will be fast but we should at least be able to have more information soon-ish.
Sorry for the horribly slow progress but life is quite busy and I have had little time for anything Amiga related these past months.
Old 29 January 2017, 02:00   #111
MagikGimp

Send a message via ICQ to MagikGimp Send a message via AIM to MagikGimp Send a message via MSN to MagikGimp Send a message via Yahoo to MagikGimp
Floppy disk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunChild View Post
The real shame of BTTR gone isn't its ADFs (which as said are now all in TOSEC), but the loss of its extensive FTP section which included many many shareware and CD-ROM PD collections (the full Fred Fish series and many more)... Unfortunately the site vanished before I could manage to grab all that.

Allegedly Thalion (EAB user, not the company, duh!) did, but if he ever took action to share/upload anything with fellow EAB members I haven't heard about it.
Bobic (cofounder of BTTR with Hippie2000) stated more than 2 years ago that he intended to do sth about bringing the site back online someday, but there again nothing ever followed suit that I heard of.
Then there's ReadOnlyCat that stepped in to suggest (since he seems to live in Norway) he could contact the University whose server used to host BTTR... 3 times in a row, without actually ever doing it (isn't it better to just shut the hell up then?). After reminding him 2 times, people here just gave up asking him about it (actually it feels more like he was just having fun with people here than actually meaning to ever do anything about it, but it may be that he actually IS that much forgetful and unable to keep his word, who knows...).

Now, I have given up following the matter much, and if ever the FTP collections of BTTR are available anywhere I don't know (but pointers would always be welcome, sure! ^_-)

The Internet Archive Wayback Machine has a lot of it archived. I don't know how much is "a lot" but the directory listings seem sound enough at a glance and I've just downloaded a DMS from there.
http://web.archive.org/web/201207160...ack2roots.org/
The Fred Fish (RIP) Archive seems intact too:
http://web.archive.org/web/201312080...ack2roots.org/

I was also very sad to see that this site had died. It's been a good few years since I last visited but I loved it for the more obscure stuff you could find while browsing there. I'm more of an ST guy (boo, hiss!) and it had some fantastic disks and such there for the rival machine too.
Old 29 January 2017, 02:04   #112
MagikGimp

Send a message via ICQ to MagikGimp Send a message via AIM to MagikGimp Send a message via MSN to MagikGimp Send a message via Yahoo to MagikGimp
The main problem with browsing the site itself (http) is that it was designed around listing search results when you click on each thing and of course search functions no longer work at all on archives. That's why the FTP storage is so important. I guess you could still browse parts of the site on the archive if you knew the exact URL but when I just went to see everything by Razor1911 it wouldn't work. Still, there's Pouet et al for that I guess...
Great lists of links though on B2tR. Most of which I expect you require the archive to see too these days sadly. :/
Old 29 January 2017, 02:21   #113
MagikGimp

Unhappy

Unfortunately it would seem that "a lot" is turning out to be me saying "shit, not there" the more I browse but at least it can be seen what was there even if the files themselves are gone.
Old 01 February 2017, 23:20   #114
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagikGimp View Post
Unfortunately it would seem that "a lot" is turning out to be me saying "shit, not there" the more I browse but at least it can be seen what was there even if the files themselves are gone.
I downloaded a lot of the CDs and have them on my PC.

I'll carry out a check over the weekend and see if I've got any that are not on the EAB server.
Old 08 February 2017, 14:31   #115
Thalion
Amiga Collector

Hi friends, i'm back. I was unable to respond to anything as i was in hospital over the last weeks but when i'm able to access my files again i will gladly share everythin i can with you.
Old 08 February 2017, 15:19   #116
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalion View Post
I was unable to respond to anything as i was in hospital over the last weeks but when i'm able to access my files again i will gladly share everythin i can with you.
Hope all is ok now Thalion?
Old 08 February 2017, 16:51   #117
Thalion
Amiga Collector

i'm stll recovering and it goes slowly. i hope i have defeated the cancer now.
Old 08 February 2017, 16:54   #118
DamienD
Banned

OMG

I sure hope so my friend and all the best.
Old 08 February 2017, 17:03   #119
Thalion
Amiga Collector

thanks friend. i hope i will be able to help with bttr stuff next week.
Old 14 February 2017, 19:23   #120
Thalion
Amiga Collector

Good news. I have access to my files now and can fullfill your wishes.

I was asked to upload the demoscene stuff and games so i will start with that. Find the files (later) on the EAB FTP in my DIR.