English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 23 March 2015, 21:29   #1
palaste

Uridium 2

I've lately been playing quite a lot of Uridium 2, thanks to the magic of WHDLoad and FS-UAE. There's a double layer of emulation here, FS-UAE is emulating my old A4000 (which doesn't exist any more, as its motherboard and processor broke), which in turn is using WHDLoad to emulate Uridium 2 booted straight from the floppies.

Now with a lot of practice, I've got as far as the fourth ship of the first fleet. It turns out flying recklessly is not a good idea, you have to be slow and careful, watch out for enemy ships and Uridimines, and destroy all cannons you see. (The cannons didn't exist in the original Uridium.) But still the game seems way too difficult.

How many fleets and ships are there in the game anyway? Is getting to the fourth ship of the first fleet good or bad progress?

I'd appreciate some general hints on the gameplay. No cheats though, I want to play honestly.

The fact that I have to use both a hardware USB cable and a software driver to use a real Atari-style joystick, where only the top fire button works and the auto-fire does nothing, isn't exactly helping. But still it's better than using the keyboard. (I wonder how people even manage to play contemporary PC games.)
Old 23 March 2015, 21:59   #2
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

There are six fleets with four dreadnoughts in each. I played through the game recently and mapped them all:

http://hol.abime.net/1821/gamemap
Old 24 March 2015, 21:45   #3
palaste

Actually, there is one thing, so far the only thing, I feel the original Uridium did better.

In the original Uridium, once you cleared a dreadnought, you could fly all the way back to your mothership, trying to blast all the surface elements of the dreadnought that had still been left over during the actual attack.

In Uridium 2, once you clear a dreadnought, you're automatically transported into a warp, without being able to do anything at all to the dreadnought any more.
Old 28 March 2015, 09:47   #4
palaste

This morning I decided to play Uridium 2 again and got as far as the second ship of the third fleet. I guess that makes the tenth ship over all. And that was without cheating of any kind. I found the second fleet actually much easier than the first, because the cannons are smaller and don't fire all the time.

I have an FS-UAE save state where I'm somewhere along the end of the second fleet with five Mantae remaining. If I can allow myself to resume this save state, the rest of the play should be much easier.

The manual says starting a new game allows starting from any fleet reached so far in a previous game. Is this information stored by WHDLoad between game sessions or is it for one game session only? Using WHDLoad saved information instead of FS-UAE save states would feel less like cheating.
Old 29 March 2015, 15:14   #5
pintcat

It should be saved by WHDLoad. You can access the fleet selector in the main menu which is opened by pressing one of the first function keys. Sadly, I can't check it myself since the old bug which was reported here: http://mantis.whdload.de/view.php?id=1563 and which was claimed to be "already fixed" still occurs with the latest slave version (at least on my machine - can anyone confirm?), so...

Old 30 April 2015, 21:32   #6
Y4nni

Slightly off-topic, but I would pay good money to see someone make a CD32 version of the updated SPS version of Uridium 2 (listed as "vP1.04-D1.03 (1993)(Renegade)[0276]").

Old 30 April 2015, 21:52   #7
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y4nni View Post
Slightly off-topic, but I would pay good money to see someone make a CD32 version of the updated SPS version of Uridium 2 (listed as "vP1.04-D1.03 (1993)(Renegade)[0276]").
What are the benefits/upgrades of this version?
Old 24 October 2016, 09:16   #8
PopoCop

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintcat View Post
It should be saved by WHDLoad. You can access the fleet selector in the main menu which is opened by pressing one of the first function keys. Sadly, I can't check it myself since the old bug which was reported here: http://mantis.whdload.de/view.php?id=1563 and which was claimed to be "already fixed" still occurs with the latest slave version (at least on my machine - can anyone confirm?), so...
When game is loaded press fire to start. Then press Help to pause and Esc to quit. Now you can press any function key and enter the menu.
Old 24 October 2016, 10:59   #9
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by palaste View Post
In Uridium 2, once you clear a dreadnought, you're automatically transported into a warp, without being able to do anything at all to the dreadnought any more.
Not true. Until you land on the runway in LAND NOW prompt, you can destroy whatever you want.
Old 24 October 2016, 12:51   #10
PopoCop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Not true. Until you land on the runway in LAND NOW prompt, you can destroy whatever you want.
I think that palaste wrote about the moment after landing and shooting the core (when dreadnought explodes).
Old 24 October 2016, 18:13   #11
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopoCop View Post
(when dreadnought explodes).
Since it explodes, there's no need for shooting anything else!
But if your target is points, you have to do as Predseda said, and stick around without landing while clearing up all you want. Nobody forces you to land when the voice starts saying "land now". I remember sticking around many times just to rack up points toward extra lives.

Also I ask again because nobody answered: what does the SPS updated version have compared to older versions that makes the game better? Or how is it updated/upgraded?