English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 March 2013, 20:52   #1
endre1952

Best screwdriver for CDTV

What kind of screwdriver works best to open up a CDTV? I've tried and tried, but was unable to unscrew one of the side ones. Perhaps it's too late now, but I may try again with the proper screwdriver. I would like to install a PAL/NTSC switch and another one to turn off the extended ROM...
Old 04 March 2013, 09:27   #2
roy bates

maybe its either the wrong screw if it spins and dont come out or threads are gone.

as for what screwdriver,well its just a philips scewdriver either a size 1 or 2 bit,just try a size so its snug in the head and undu the screw,if its realy tight try wd40 and afetr a few minutes.
just be careful not to spin out the head.and try not to use a bit in a drill,just do it by hand its easier.
Old 04 March 2013, 10:12   #3
Kitty

if you have rounded the screw off just drill it out instead.
Old 04 March 2013, 10:27   #4
s2325
Zone Friend

You may just use plastic pen refill + fire.
Old 04 March 2013, 11:25   #5
pandy71

use drill but left type (rotating in opposite to clock direction) - normally Amiga use Philips 2 (sometimes 1) size and Torx.
Old 04 March 2013, 11:31   #6
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Or if your able to, just apply pressure to the screw, it should turn then if your lucky.
I have used this method hundreds of times, when customers decided they wanted to play inside their tvs, dvd, hifis.

Also best screw driver to use is a possy driver. Philips sucks, possy is much better.
Old 04 March 2013, 12:28   #7
endre1952

Thanks for all the suggestions. Drilling it out seems to be my only option now. I've tried applying pressure to it and it didn't help. I was able to loosen the 3 other side screws.
Old 04 March 2013, 14:36   #8
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Also best screw driver to use is a possy driver. Philips sucks, possy is much better.
Please only use the right driver for the screw.

The illustration below should outline why:

Last edited by Jope; 04 March 2013 at 14:46. Reason: Was needlessly blunt.
Old 04 March 2013, 14:46   #9
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Phillips drivers for phillips screws, pozidriv drivers for pozidriv screws. Please don't suggest that they are interchangeable, even though you can usually use a phillips driver for a pozidriv screw without too much damage to the screw head.
Ive been using a pozidriver for philips screws for over 11 years without issue.
Not sure what you mean, they are interchangable.

It was just my thoughts, as I have done that way for years. Never had one issue using a pozidrver for philips screws.

Think you should try it, before commenting. You will find it even fits the screw better.
Old 04 March 2013, 14:48   #10
Jope
-

Ah, you managed to quote me before I revised. :-) Apologies for my wording. You managed to hit a pet peeve of mine.

The ridges on the sides of the pz tip stop it from fitting into the ph screw head and basically the driver will never sit properly in the screw, unless the screw head is much too large for the driver.

The tip + head are designed to fit together so that the cam-out is minimized.

The reason why a ph tip shouldn't be used in a pz screw even though it fits is, that the slope of the tip is different and it will not sit properly.

It's a free world, but using the right tip for the right head makes opening even those tight screws so much easier. Also you should use the right size tip for the right size head, even though a smaller one will work, you'll just needlessly damage the screw and driver if the screw happens to be a tight one, or if thread lock compound was used.
Old 04 March 2013, 14:52   #11
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Ah, you managed to quote me before I revised. :-)

The ridges on the sides of the pz tip stop it from fitting into the ph screw head and basically the driver will just cam out of a tight screw.

The tip + head are designed to fit together so that the cam-out is minimized.

The reason why a ph tip shouldn't be used in a pz screw even though it fits is, that the slope of the tip is different and it will not sit properly.
To be hoenst in all my years of repairing electronics, I have never come across a philips screw deep enough to make the stupid ridge design effect the pozidrive.
As I said give it a try, we dumped philips drivers after discovering how good / better pozidrivers were with philips screws.
Old 04 March 2013, 15:26   #12
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Got an idea but dont want to teach you how to suck eggs lol

I seem to remember these old CDTV's had quite good screws on the sides and one or two little ones on the back...

The side screws will come out but you need to use something non-destructive to pry the screw against the metal as you undo it! Dont go mad just enougth to help it catch on the threads so it will have more chance to come out. Drilling is the last resort on this... I would be right gutted if this was me

EDIT: Quick correction here! Pry under the screw head if there is enougth of a gap present! Ive even used my fingers, plastic, credit card etc! last thing you want is to damage the case or paintwork.

Last edited by ElectroBlaster; 04 March 2013 at 15:34.
Old 05 March 2013, 15:44   #13
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Ive been using a pozidriver for philips screws for over 11 years without issue.
Not sure what you mean, they are interchangable.

It was just my thoughts, as I have done that way for years. Never had one issue using a pozidrver for philips screws.

Think you should try it, before commenting. You will find it even fits the screw better.

No - Philips and Pozidrive are totally DIFFERENT - using incorrect can damage bolt head.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pozidriv#Pozidriv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroBlaster View Post
Drilling is the last resort on this...
Left turn (hand) drill is fine and allow to extract almost any bolt with broken head.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_bit#Left-hand_bit

Last edited by pandy71; 05 March 2013 at 15:55.
Old 05 March 2013, 16:40   #14
roy bates

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BROKEN-DAM...item1e76775984

only works if the screw/bore still has a thread though.
Old 05 March 2013, 18:11   #15
endre1952

Again, I appreciate all the suggestions. Apparently I've rounded the screw, so drilling seems to be the only option.
Old 05 March 2013, 22:10   #16
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by endre1952 View Post
Again, I appreciate all the suggestions. Apparently I've rounded the screw, so drilling seems to be the only option.
gently but firmly catch bolt head with good pliers or wire cutters and try to unscrew - should be OK too.