English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.aGTW

Old 16 August 2008, 02:52   #1
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

Starwoids - The story behind the full version...

After emailing the original artist involved in this starwars-meets-oids shareware classic, I got this reply:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

James,

The full version was never completed. Martin, the coder, was offered a job in the game industry soon after the demo was released, and then I got a job making TV commercials and lost my internet connection for a few months, and we never again had the time to finish it. Jobs suck.

We returned the registrations we had received. There weren't many.

I remember working on new tile-sets and maps (up to seven new maps, or I might be making that number up), and possibly some new sprites, but I don't think they they were ever playable in the game -- still just in the editors.

I liked StarWoids. I'm still embarrassed that we thought it was okay to ignore copyright and rip Star Wars like that, but we never received any Cease And Desist mail so I guess it got in under the radar.

Rowan.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps this is one that AGTW could follow up? Contact Rowan via his business forum at:

http://forum.liquenox.com/
Old 16 August 2008, 21:35   #2
JohnnyBeGood

thx for some nice read.
Always wondered why the full version never got completed.
Old 16 August 2008, 22:11   #3
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Thanks! I'll follow it up.
Old 07 December 2010, 22:27   #4
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

they didnt really need to worry too much about copyright, given that the game was done as a 'pastiche'
Old 08 December 2010, 20:40   #5
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

What if a level editor can be made to this stuff? The available version has mostly enough gfx and sfx to extend the number of levels, IMHO.
Old 29 October 2011, 05:49   #6
hvanderwegen

Old thread, I know - I was one (among few) who registered for the full version (lived in the Netherlands).

I loved playing the demo version, got hooked and carefully wrote a raving letter how much I liked the game. Folded the letter, attached a check, and sent it off in great anticipation.

...only to never ever hear a response back.

I do not recall whether the check was ever cashed, and I always wondered what did happen in regards to the final version. I guess that got cleared up! This would be great material for a remake, though.