English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.aGTW

Old 24 November 2010, 21:46   #481
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Even if John Twiddy would still have the game, he still couldn't make it available without System 3's permission. I think you should have gotten what they think about it by now.
Old 24 November 2010, 23:37   #482
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

@ TCD

Judging from their first response to me, I already knew which way the wind was blowing about this, but I thought I might have got them to admit that they didn't have it. It's deader than a very deceased thing, with dead things sprinkled on the top.
Old 24 November 2010, 23:45   #483
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Well, let's just say that I'm pretty confident about them having access to the full version and let's move on from there
Old 25 November 2010, 14:56   #484
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Big grin

OT-Hey guys, did anyone else notice this thread has clocked its 7th Birthday? It's like the EAB evil snowman,keeps returning every year!

As BippyM & co. have stated,as much as it would've been nice to have seen the original rereleased in ADF form as a means to promote their new-age dlc iphone/psn etc remakes,its been quite clear from previous comments from Mark Cale & co. its not going to happen even if the source code still existed. Obviously, the "remakes" are viewed as too close gameplay-wise to their original counterparts to be released as a freebie.

As has been alluded to with Amiga Snow Bros., it just comes down to the attitude of the IP owners sadly. Kind of reminds me of the reviewed & much chased (but unreleased C64 Murder by US Gold). Putty Squad similarly had those expectations from the reviews of the time driving it ever since here.

And yes to the couple of oldtimers here who may still remember me,I'm still alive & lurking,hope you're all well too!
Old 25 November 2010, 17:49   #485
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Going back to that time, if i'd developed a game only for it not to then be released, i'd find it very hard to just sit on it.Personally i would consider is somewhat rude not to at least try something- me personally i would feel it my duty to get this game in people's hands because otherwise all you've done is to essentially shaft them .Fair enough Putty Squad was theirs to do what they wanted with so you can't really argue much here, but morally i'd not be too happy with that type of situation- shit does happens but still

We can all understand how the Amiga was maybe dropping off quite a bit but to just let people hang there is pretty mean regardless of it being a business decision

Last edited by Adropac2; 25 November 2010 at 18:04.
Old 25 November 2010, 23:28   #486
Mequa

Someone needs to bribe System 3 to finally release an AGA version. I'm sure Cloanto would like it to include with their Amiga Forever.
Old 26 November 2010, 01:50   #487
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Arrow

Heh, Mequa jumps in again after a long wait; that must mean the discussion is back to normal again

(same with me, since I too prefer to keep outta here when it gets too emotional, and above all, unobjective. As that helps virtually no one.)

Something that Chandra doesn't think of is:

- she (or he? since the Chandra given name is unisex in India, like e. g. English "Sandy") doesn't realize that simply playing it on other hardware "just for the sake of being more modern" is NOT quite the same.

Chandra must also consider that a real AMIGA is a real computer, NOT a console! (Referring to the guys playing on the real thing, in particular.) Thus ... you have a real AMIGA with a (portable) TV-like monitor. Gaming fun in full 320 x 256 resp. 320 x 200.

But what would this be on an iPhone?
In my book: crap! (Probably)
Since this tiny display (compared to, say the trusty 1084's one) won't even convey 20% of the gaming feel as it would on the AMIGA.
Let alone sound!! Like the C=64, the Amiga is notorious for its great sound, which cannot be reproduced in an instant on another machine - not even nowadays!

In a nutshell?
Well, it's as if you compared the sound in Pinball Dreams (Amiga) to the noisy-screechy squeal emitted by a Pentium PC speaker (DOS)!! I did play them both - and while the Amiga sound felt like FM in radio, the PC sound really felt like medium wave or short wave!
Barely comparable.
(Now don't you add insult to injury by saying I'm biased! )

Last edited by andreas; 26 November 2010 at 15:41.
Old 27 November 2010, 22:47   #488
Mequa

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas View Post
But what would this be on an iPhone?
In my book: crap! (Probably)
Since this tiny display (compared to, say the trusty 1084's one) won't even convey 20% of the gaming feel as it would on the AMIGA.
It should also run on the iPad. If an adapter is available for a wireless gamepad/joystick, so much the better.

I'd prefer a HD Windows version though. On a 50" plasma
Old 29 November 2010, 11:57   #489
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
LOL
(Didn't I expect that!)
Old 30 November 2010, 00:49   #490
Paul_s

Maybe Wikileaks could investigate Putty Squad? They think the America story is big? Putty Squad is MUCH bigger!
Old 12 December 2010, 15:37   #491
hitm4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
Yeah it might be worth contacting (or trying to) the authors of the reviews, they'll at least be able to stop this thread from going on for another 3 years
LOL. Quite a read this thread eh? haha. Oh that post was from June 07 btw.

Now, the reason i'm here actually is the sudden appearance of Putty Squad avatars on PSN. Is a PSN version of the game coming ?
Old 12 December 2010, 23:46   #492
wilshy

Yes.

http://www.system3.com/index.jsp?i=817&s=1111
Old 13 December 2010, 04:26   #493
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Well, to hell with buying any of these releases if they are going to deliberately suppress the Amiga version. Obviously they know nothing about how not to piss off their supporter base.
Old 13 December 2010, 09:49   #494
BrooksterMax

Hmmm says PS3 version Q4 2010, so only a few weeks left of the year.
http://www.system3.com/index.jsp?i=813&s=1111

LOL at using Amiga magazine reviews for the game advert, hmmm think some of the Playstation generation may not remember Amiga Format
Old 13 December 2010, 12:35   #495
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksterMax View Post
Hmmm says PS3 version Q4 2010, so only a few weeks left of the year.
http://www.system3.com/index.jsp?i=813&s=1111

LOL at using Amiga magazine reviews for the game advert, hmmm think some of the Playstation generation may not remember Amiga Format
There are now Putty Squad avaters available on PSN!
Old 13 December 2010, 18:21   #496
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I loved the Putty Squad demo and would love to have the full game.Hardly the most impressive brand though but the devs seem to think it of worth.- not sure why unless they think there is a flood of people that will go nuts for it on a newer platform.Enough perhaps for them to consider chasing after it and i guess they don't wish to risk failing with some new IP

My advice to the devs would be not be to rely on this fairly forgotten game like it's some sort of safety net for them and just work on something else.It's not like we're talking of a cherished classic like Sensi Soccer here or Speedball
Old 13 December 2010, 21:38   #497
JohnnyBeGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Well, to hell with buying any of these releases if they are going to deliberately suppress the Amiga version. Obviously they know nothing about how not to piss off their supporter base.
It's plain business.
Giving you a free (amiga) version, means one less potential sale.
Old 13 December 2010, 21:39   #498
BippyM
Global Moderator

I'll take a look if it is based on the Amiga version, and it isn't too expensive.
Old 15 December 2010, 00:27   #499
Mequa

Why aren't they doing a Windows or Mac version, I wonder? Not everyone has a locked-down expensive toy.
Old 15 December 2010, 01:03   #500
RMK

I haven't read all of this thread but I had a very quick scan through this months Retro Gamer and there is an interview with System 3 on Putty Squad. I didn't read it as I didn't have time but they did state that they only released it on the SNES. However, the reason for the article was because it is being released for the iphone? and it is based on the Amiga version.

I'll have to get a proper read when I have time but is someone else is passing WHSmiths pop in and have a look.