English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 August 2020, 20:15   #1
rjd324

Mediator PCI 1200: Network Card

I have tried to refrain from posting about this issue and have tried to search for information but could use some help. Before going any further, I suspect that the network card I have is the issue.

- NIC: 8319 Fast Ethernet with two leds: ACT and LINK ; revision 6 is written on the board

- Mediator PCI 1200
- OS3.9 + BB3.4
- Mediator S/W installed + Update 2.6

I am unsure, but I think whether you have configured a NIC correctly or not, you would still expect to see some network activity (LEDs flashing) once you plug in the cable? This is not the case for my card: I have a constant RED LED for the Activity light and there is no light at all for LINK.

If the above is true, then trying to diagnose incorrect setup is academic: since it is clearly the controller that is at fault.

Anyway, I also set up MIAMI:
- MiamiInit
- Select "Ethernet, cable/ADSL modem (leave default "Internet" and "DNS" selected)

- The next screen says "choose equipment" and the only option I have is "---other---"
- Choose "other" and manually type in the full path to "fastethernet.device" but the file cannot be opened because it is possible in use.

The NIC sits in slot 2 below the Radeon card which is working fine. I have also tried slot 4.

"pciinfo" detects the card fine.

I do not have another machine with PCI slots to test on.

This is not a new card, I bought it with a mediator bundle some years ago.

I have also tried different ethernet cables - the first one works for sure with a Plipbox in a different machine.

Also, the router status page shows nothing at all for the port when I browse for connected devices.

Also, the port seems to be a little fragile: sometimes I need to reposition the cable that is snapped in or there is no RED light at all.

Thank you all.
Old 08 August 2020, 19:56   #2
johnnybarker

Yes, I think the light would normally blink when connected to a router/switch. May be worth getting another card as they are so cheap.

If that doesn't work then I would probably advise buying Roadshow. I spent a while with other software (easynet I think?) but struggled to get it to work despite having used it successfully in my a1200 via PCMCIA network card. Roadshow on the other just worked immediately with little set up required.
Old 08 August 2020, 20:15   #3
thomas

For Fast Ethernet on the Mediator (FastEthernet.device) you need a supported PCI graphics card and Picasso96 software installed.

Without gfx card memory you can only use 10MBit Ethernet (MediatorNET.device)
Old 04 February 2023, 22:33   #4
rjd324

Hi,

I come back to this thread after some years. The setup described in the first post is relevant again here. I have the Radeon 9250 128Mb installed and I am using RTG / setup Picasso.

RadeonMem is set to 8.

This time, I am using roadshow. The relevant parts of the configuration are:
Network/8139_mediator (copied from ariadne orignally), where I have set up the networkmask and static IP address.

routes/name_resolutions: the route goes to the IP of my router, the DNS server are inserted into name_resolutions with "prefer static" uncommented.

I was failing to get a connection at all when invoking "addnetinterface 8139_mediator". So, I decided to go back to the 8139_mediator file and change the device from "fastethernet.device" to "FastEthernet.device".

So, after doing that I was able to successfully run "addnetinterface 8139_mediator". When I run ShowNetStatus I get read-out I would expect. But, I cannot ping my router, and, from another machine in my house, I cannot ping the Amiga. On the Amiga I can ping myself as expected 127.0.0.1/ and the set static IP address.

I also see that in my router's status page, it detects the Amiga as connected with the static IP address.

So, I cannot figure out why I am unable to ping the router / ping the Amiga from other machines.

env: mediator/fastethernet is set to "0" out of a possible 4 (or 3, cannot remember).

I have also tried to re-arrange the PCI cards in my mediator and use a different 8139 card version - but the same thing happens.

I am hoping I just forget to enter something obvious.
Old 05 February 2023, 17:25   #5
rjd324

Removed pcmcia card and now it works fine.