English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 June 2010, 22:35   #1
gogoac

Soviet (Opera Soft)

Does anyone know, if the game "Soviet" by Opera Soft (1991) was released for the Amiga?
I found an Amiga entry in spanish game instructions (->here), but I can't find any further informations about it.

Last edited by gogoac; 06 June 2010 at 23:13.
Old 06 June 2010, 22:40   #2
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
the game must be very rare. It's a spanish game only, we did not even have it in france.
Old 06 June 2010, 23:38   #3
Amiga1992

We might need to contact people involved in this to see if it was ever released.
Old 06 June 2010, 23:39   #4
dirk_the_daring

Perhaps it was planned, but think never was launched, I had no news about it in Spain, no Amiga, no Atari, sorry.
Old 06 June 2010, 23:47   #5
SyX

The only versions published were CPC, msx, pc, pcw and zx, how you can see here. The Amiga, c64 and st versions don't exist and i don't remember to read any review in micromania or another spanish video games magazines.

The presence of these versions in the game manual is because the first two paragraphs (game controls and loader instructions) were "standards" for all game manuals of Opera Soft games in the 90s. You can see a few examples of an Amiga reference in the next manuals and neither of these games had got Amiga version, neither c64 (inclusive appears a cartridge version, but opera never made a cartridge game in any machine :P) or st:
Golden Basket
Mundial de Fútbol
Poli Díaz
Sirwood

Last edited by SyX; 07 June 2010 at 00:09.
Old 07 June 2010, 12:21   #6
gogoac

Thanks for the information, Lionheart. I was just wondering why I couldn't find anything about an Amiga version. Strange thing that Opera did this standard for all instructions...maybe the other versions were planned but never released.
Old 07 June 2010, 18:28   #7
SyX

Well, maybe it could say that a few Amiga versions were planned but never released... but i must say that mistakes were not rare in the adverts or the screenshots in the game boxes of the Opera Soft products in the 90s.

For example, in the advert of the game Sirwood appears an Amiga version, but i didn't see any picture or read any reference of an Amiga version (neither in reviews, previews or tricks sections). Other example, in the game box of "Mundial de Fútbol", there are pictures of the Atari ST version (the Amiga version it would be identical), but the magazines only previewed or reviewed cpc, msx, pc y zx.

The only Opera Soft Amiga game that i can not sure it was released or not is "Jai Alai", because i remember to read an Amiga preview in Micromania (in an article about 16 bits spanish games with Megaphoenix and others), and the adverts and the game boxes of others systems include Amiga pictures.

In that time, Micromania (you can get here all the numbers of Micromania 1º Epoca -8 bits computers- and 2º Epoca -16 bits- ), the most important spanish video games magazine, had an Amiga, Atari ST and PC section with mini-reviews (one paragraph and one picture) of games ported from 8 bits to 16 bits, but in the case of spanish games it would be one or two pages with the review, because that i remember these things.
Old 07 June 2010, 18:49   #8
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
The only Opera Soft Amiga game that i can not sure it was released or not is "Jai Alai", because i remember to read an Amiga preview in Micromania (in an article about 16 bits spanish games with Megaphoenix and others), and the adverts and the game boxes of others systems include Amiga pictures.
I have that issue and wondered about Jai Alai myself!
Old 07 June 2010, 19:17   #9
SyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I have that issue and wondered about Jai Alai myself!
Hi Akira,

Opera and Amiga is a mystery over a mystery , the first version of "Sol Negro" for Amiga had graphics by Ricardo Cancho, he made the FANTASTIC Atari ST graphics and converted and improved them for Amiga using a 32 colours palette for better dithering... but the idiots of opera thought that he did not use a more colouring palette and replace them by the horrible graphics of the final version, they looks made for a 4 years kid (sorry for the 4 years kids, i didn't want to offend you ) in his first try with his first computer and an new scanner.
Old 12 June 2010, 09:40   #10
dirk_the_daring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
The only versions published were CPC, msx, pc, pcw and zx, how you can see here. The Amiga, c64 and st versions don't exist and i don't remember to read any review in micromania or another spanish video games magazines.

The presence of these versions in the game manual is because the first two paragraphs (game controls and loader instructions) were "standards" for all game manuals of Opera Soft games in the 90s. You can see a few examples of an Amiga reference in the next manuals and neither of these games had got Amiga version, neither c64 (inclusive appears a cartridge version, but opera never made a cartridge game in any machine :P) or st:
Golden Basket
Mundial de Fútbol
Poli Díaz
Sirwood
Yes, I have all Micromanias and they never talked about it. They usually cover almost every spanish (althought not all), but Opera was a BIG house in Spain, so probably game does not exist.
And about the manual this kind ot things are sometimes usual... In the CD-i release of Lost Eden, there are credits for the CD32 version... (both in manual and ingame credits)
But sadly there isn't any CD32 version too
Old 18 June 2010, 01:59   #11
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Poli Diaz and Golden Basket are so awful, it would make no sense make such games for a 16 bits sytem.

Mundial de Futbol had its charm, though it was far from good too.

Soviet, in the other hand, was excellent. Probably their best game ever, and an Amiga version of it would rock.
Old 18 June 2010, 11:06   #12
SyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
Poli Diaz and Golden Basket are so awful, it would make no sense make such games for a 16 bits sytem.

Mundial de Futbol had its charm, though it was far from good too.

Soviet, in the other hand, was excellent. Probably their best game ever, and an Amiga version of it would rock.
I agreed totally!!!

But well, the inability of "spanish video games industry" to make the transition at 16 bits ideas (themes or concepts, because the best Amiga games are not only better graphics or music), it's the real demostration of the inexistence of a true "industry" in spain in that period.

If you are very sad or have depression, you can cure it reading old spanish videogames magazines , i always will remember the articles about Viaje al centro de la tierra, where they said that this BULLSHIT was the spanish answer to the Lucasfilm graphics adventures

I think that Risky Woods is the only interesting spanish Amiga game between 1989-1992, but it's only a good 8 bit conversion to Amiga from the second part of Capitan Trueno.