English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 November 2013, 02:55   #41
SS454
Banned

That is the dreaded German A2000 motherboard, the earliest and worst of all possible kinds.

No buster chip, missing signals on CPU and Video slots, Crap Agnes instead of Fat Agnes, and a whole bunch of problems.

Do not buy this machine.

Last edited by SS454; 16 November 2013 at 03:00.
Old 16 November 2013, 04:41   #42
Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
That is the dreaded German A2000 motherboard, the earliest and worst of all possible kinds.

No buster chip, missing signals on CPU and Video slots, Crap Agnes instead of Fat Agnes, and a whole bunch of problems.

Do not buy this machine.
Doing some research, it seems you are correct. The 4.0 motherboard seems like much more work than it is worth. I am still thinking of asking the guy if he would sell me the monitor, however.

Anyone in Canada got a 1200 for sale? I was so hyped up about getting this system, I now need my amiga fix!

Old 16 November 2013, 05:31   #43
commodorejohn
Shameless recidivist

Definitely get the monitor if you can, that'll get you a quality display for whatever Amiga you do get and save on shipping.
Old 16 November 2013, 07:19   #44
Critic

I might be able to get a really good deal on the system, and may buy it anyway (useful to have the monitor and all the extras that come with it) and i was wondering: Is it possible (feasible...) to replace the DIL angus on the 4.0 board with a fat NTSC 1mb angus chip? Would that fix the PAL/NTSC problem (or am I crazy?). Also, would the fast ram board kipper sells still be functional on these slots? It seems they are very incompatible with most accelerators and upgrades in general.

Old 16 November 2013, 11:10   #45
SS454
Banned

You know I've no idea if you can make an adapter for the different angusses... There's only 512k on the German motherboard anyway.

Kipper's ram board doesn't use the processor slot. You've got to pull the old CPU out, plug the board in its place, then plug the CPU on top of that.

But given it's a 2000, and a weirdo 2000 at that, we dunno if it'd physically fit.

Still, if you want the monitor and all the stuff it comes with, go for it. You might drop onto a decent motherboard later, or find another cheap machine...

But you've still never told us exactly what stuff it comes with. A monitor, and...?
Old 16 November 2013, 11:44   #46
Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
You know I've no idea if you can make an adapter for the different angusses... There's only 512k on the German motherboard anyway.

Kipper's ram board doesn't use the processor slot. You've got to pull the old CPU out, plug the board in its place, then plug the CPU on top of that.

But given it's a 2000, and a weirdo 2000 at that, we dunno if it'd physically fit.

Still, if you want the monitor and all the stuff it comes with, go for it. You might drop onto a decent motherboard later, or find another cheap machine...

But you've still never told us exactly what stuff it comes with. A monitor, and...?
Keyboard, mouse, hundreds of disks (many originals according to the guy) couple joysticks, extra uninstalled floppy drives (working). Nothing too special, but stuff that would really cost to ship and would likely be useful for any other system. That's interesting about the ram board - is the physical issue the case or the shape of the mb itself?

Old 16 November 2013, 12:35   #47
SS454
Banned

If there's a lot of games on disk then I'd go for it. Only thing that's bugging me is there's supposed to already be a 512k fastram card in the German 2000's CPU slot, which isn't in those pictures.

It might be the case or motherboard that might stop kipper's ram board from fitting. The only way to know is to try it.

If it doesn't fit, a simple adapter can be made easily enough, if you want to solder. Just a veroboard, some wires, a socket, and two rows of pins. Like $5-10 of parts.

Or you could just buy it for all the stuff, and not bother with the actual A2000 unit.
Old 16 November 2013, 14:46   #48
tesla

Hello,

May I remind you that Scart is non-existent in North America?

Oh, and so is PAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
An A2000 would make an exciting project if you enjoy tinkering with old Computers but for Gaming I highly recommend an A1200 and one of the ACA12xx cards. It will serve you well for 99% of WHDLoad Games and will work via RGB-Scart with most CRT/LCD TV's depending on your preference.