English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 16 August 2008, 17:03   #21
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I used to borrow tapes from a fat fuck who was very rich. I always returned them, but he never missed them from his massive Apple IIe coolection. ALMOST all of which was pirated!
Old 16 August 2008, 17:13   #22
Rebel/FairLight

I nicked two SNES-games at the ECTS show in London back in ... hm was it 94? Anyway... around the corner they were handed over to Gaston and Splatt and then we split. Half a minute later two security guards walked up and told me to empty my pockets and threatened me with all kind of things unless I revealed where the games were. I denied everything and of course tried my best to look like a living questionmark. While arguing with the guards, Gaston and Splatt walked by looking quite worried about my situation. Luckily they were smart enough to keep walking so in the far background I could see them leave the building.

At that point I didn't care wether they had proof I nicked them or not, I was more "Phew... cool, two more releases in the house". I expected an interrogation and my pic taken but apart from that I didn't care too much except for the fact I was leaving for Sweden the very same day and would risk to miss the plane if I was taken into custody. Fortune favours the brave (lol), security found and had nothing on me and agreed to let me go.

Gaston and Splatt waited for me outside but in case I was being followed I put on a face saying "stay away guys...". Headed straight for Heathrow and then returned home.

And yes, the SNES-games were released that same evening among with a brief background story.
Ah, those were the days

Ps. My first post here btw. Hi everyone!

Old 16 August 2008, 17:19   #23
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hi Rebel! Welcome to the EAB

Cool story Always wanted to know how you guys got your releases so fast back then Good to hear it worked
Old 16 August 2008, 17:34   #24
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel/FairLight View Post
I nicked two SNES-games at the ECTS show in London back in ... hm was it 94? Anyway... around the corner they were handed over to Gaston and Splatt and then we split. Half a minute later two security guards walked up and told me to empty my pockets and threatened me with all kind of things unless I revealed where the games were. I denied everything and of course tried my best to look like a living questionmark. While arguing with the guards, Gaston and Splatt walked by looking quite worried about my situation. Luckily they were smart enough to keep walking so in the far background I could see them leave the building.

At that point I didn't care wether they had proof I nicked them or not, I was more "Phew... cool, two more releases in the house". I expected an interrogation and my pic taken but apart from that I didn't care too much except for the fact I was leaving for Sweden the very same day and would risk to miss the plane if I was taken into custody. Fortune favours the brave (lol), security found and had nothing on me and agreed to let me go.

Gaston and Splatt waited for me outside but in case I was being followed I put on a face saying "stay away guys...". Headed straight for Heathrow and then returned home.

And yes, the SNES-games were released that same evening among with a brief background story.
Ah, those were the days

Ps. My first post here btw. Hi everyone!
I did much the same thing with BC Kid for Dual Crew.

Can't remember which computer show it was but they had it running on an Amiga on the Hudson Soft stand, playing quite a bit of it, and realised it was the full game.

The Amiga was in a cabinet that was turned backwards so the doors were supposed to be out of reach.

The guys from Binary Emotions (naughty boys!!) crowded around the cabinet as I whipped the disk out.

Got it home, trained it and played it right through to discover it was the full game.

Released a few days later.

Then some bunch of lamers called Fairlight released it again some months later
Old 16 August 2008, 17:36   #25
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Oh yeah, and Core Design fucked up over Blob as well.

It was the full game minus the introduction sequence and have a guess where that came from?

A magazine 5 level coverdisk. Removed the code that stopped the game after 5 levels, and all the other levels were still there.

Silly sods!
Old 16 August 2008, 17:58   #26
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

Back in 1984 I had no money and so to learn to program basic in my Timex Sinclair 1000 and, a year later, z80 assembler in my Spectrum, I used to steal magazines from some newsagents near my home and school. I still have some of them like the French mag. ORDI-5 and the Spanish MicroHobby to remember that hard and adventurous times
Old 16 August 2008, 18:12   #27
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

I use cheat, solves and faqs to end games. I hacked many games of C64/Amiga/PC. I have also shoot my parents with a water rifle when I was 5...
Old 16 August 2008, 19:59   #28
Rebel/FairLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I did much the same thing with BC Kid for Dual Crew.

Can't remember which computer show it was but they had it running on an Amiga on the Hudson Soft stand, playing quite a bit of it, and realised it was the full game.

The Amiga was in a cabinet that was turned backwards so the doors were supposed to be out of reach.

The guys from Binary Emotions (naughty boys!!) crowded around the cabinet as I whipped the disk out.

Got it home, trained it and played it right through to discover it was the full game.

Released a few days later.
Hehe sweet. Wonder if you ever credited the Binary Emotion guys in the release...

XXXX/FairLight was another talented guy. The year after I nicked those SNES-games we visited ECTS in London again and found some game which - unfortunately - I don't remember the name of. We walked by a couple of times and thought it was worth a try. XXXX sat down, played and played (for half an hour or so, pretending he was real astonished etc).

Thing is that the staff was way more aware that year and so kept a close eye on pretty much everything in and around their booths. XXXX kept playing and I thought we should assist him the same way the Binary Emotion-guys did to you, but Splatt told us not to worry as he was so confident XXXX would take care of it. He was right, five mins later XXXX turned up with the disc in his hand and another release was secured.

Memories...

XXXX was a major FLT UK trader. I've deliberately changed his nick but it began with a "C" ...

Quote:
Then some bunch of lamers called Fairlight released it again some months later
Band of thieves!

How noobish, they probably just rereleased your vrs

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 16 August 2008 at 20:06. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged

Old 16 August 2008, 20:18   #29
BippyM
Global Moderator

I borrowed a friends modem and erm never sawe him again for 5 years. When he did see me he asked me for it, and I promised to return it.. that was 6 years ago *cough*
Old 16 August 2008, 20:37   #30
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
XXXX was a major FLT UK trader. I've deliberately changed his nick but it began with a "C" ...
Nah, crediting the Binary Emotions guys would have been problematic as they were doing a game for Team 17 at the time, so that could have been embarrasing!

Was this trader fat, from the north of England?

Magnetic Fields/Digital ring a bell?
Old 16 August 2008, 21:40   #31
Rebel/FairLight

Quote:
Was this trader fat, from the north of England?

Magnetic Fields/Digital ring a bell?
Nah, this bloke was a londoner. His nick began with a "C" and ended with an "i" ... four letters.

You ought to know who he was by now

Last edited by Rebel/FairLight; 17 August 2008 at 00:01.

Old 17 August 2008, 00:11   #32
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Nah, this bloke was a londoner. His nick began with a "C" and ended with an "i" ... four letters.

You ought to know who he was by now
You sure it doesn't end in 'Y'

Clue: Nice and snug and warm
Old 17 August 2008, 00:43   #33
BippyM
Global Moderator

c o d y (-d+s)?
Old 17 August 2008, 00:54   #34
Eclipse
Turpentine

I think that no original games and skipped school to play (insert game here) is a common theme.
I admit to having a large pirated collection but bought originals if I liked the game enough. I also spent the last year of school playing Sensible World of Soccer, F1GP, Monkey Island 1 and 2.

I never realised that the Fairlight guys were the real deal on this forum. I have fond memories of the cracktros. Is Galahad the real one i.e. one of the founders?
Old 17 August 2008, 01:42   #35
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
I think that no original games and skipped school to play (insert game here) is a common theme.
I admit to having a large pirated collection but bought originals if I liked the game enough. I also spent the last year of school playing Sensible World of Soccer, F1GP, Monkey Island 1 and 2.

I never realised that the Fairlight guys were the real deal on this forum. I have fond memories of the cracktros. Is Galahad the real one i.e. one of the founders?
I'm not one of the founders no, I'm Fairlights 2nd Galahad 1994-1997
Old 17 August 2008, 03:07   #36
Rebel/FairLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
I never realised that the Fairlight guys were the real deal on this forum. I have fond memories of the cracktros.
I wouldn't know, I joined this site 2 days ago lol.

Appreciate the compliment btw, makes it worth the effort and long nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT
I'm not one of the founders no, I'm Fairlights 2nd Galahad 1994-1997
OT: Technically you're the first as Kristian changed from Galahad to Black Shadow when FairLight was founded 21 years ago

Old 17 August 2008, 03:18   #37
ausPPC

Skipping school to play games? A friend and I discovered that if we didn't sign up for any of the weekly sports day activities our names wouldn't be listed in any of the attendance rolls so we could just hang out at his place instead. We were eventually caught out but we just laughed at the dork of a teacher that tried to shame us for this deception. We were then forced to join the only activity that wasn't already 'full' - boardgames, which was just supervised goofing around in a classroom.

Old 17 August 2008, 13:04   #38
Leffmann

Quote:
OT: Technically you're the first as Kristian changed from Galahad to Black Shadow when FairLight was founded 21 years ago
Long time since I heard that name Back when I was 13-14 or so there was a rumor going around that BLACK SHADOW HIMSELF was working at a local computer store (M.A.S.T in Malmö if any locals might remember). Back then when you were of that age and almost idolized the sceners that was like being told there was a god working at the computer store, and I remember going there several times just to get a glimpse of him. I never found out if it was really him or just a rumor.

Speaking of sins I also recall one of their A3000's or A4000's had some impressive graphical demo running with ASM-One and accompanying source code in the background. I changed some numbers and stuff, reassembled and wrote the executable back, and obviously the demo crashed. In a lame attempt to not seem conspicuous I told one of the employees something like "that one's not working anymore" and pointed to the Amiga, and left.
Old 24 September 2008, 01:46   #39
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
  • I've been sharing via emule/edonkey network for ages
  • I used some parts of Gamebase Amiga for something it was not intended for
  • I might have violated EAB rules once or twice, although I keep pretending I never had
  • more recently : I managed to piss off a member of Fairlight

I sometimes indulge myself into considering all that would define me a "Lawful Neutral" character; Wouldn't it be cool to be able to discuss one's alignment along with one's sins ?
( See AD&D reference here.)
Old 24 September 2008, 09:14   #40
lucadip
Where is my mind?

I had to bring back the Speed-Dos I bought for my C64 because it would not fit in (had the "new" version back then) and managed to get the money back twice! Also stole a few games from that shop as well...

From 1985 to 1996, my C64 and amiga years, I _never_ bought an original game and only invested in pirated copies.