English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 03 March 2010, 12:17   #1
Lorfarius

Dreamweb - A revisit

Been spending my time playing through some games from my younger years and came across Dreamweb again thanks to WHDLoad and the KG packs. It didn't come with the "Diary of a mad man" but a quick trip to Google for a reread wasn't difficult and I was pretty much all set to go.

The diary itself sets the whole game world and story in a much better way than the game itself manages and hints at something far greater that could have been. The game itself has many faults for sure suffering from having too much interactivity with items and the inventory never being clear what specific bits you need to pick up along the way which can cause all sorts of problems causing you to become stuck in some areas without the right tools.

These days I just don't have the time to sit around for hours on end poking and prodding every corner of the game world especially with the amount of games I've got sat on my Amiga HD so it was a case of using a solution from GameFAQ's and wondering at points to explore the game world.

It really is magnificiently done with the numerous places you can visit having lots of dark seedy people to talk to, stuff to play with and pick up. The main story about a guy descending into madness is barely covered in the game story but the diary supplement tends to fill in the gaps with brilliant conversation pieces to folk in the world. Sadly they didn't see fit to give you any sort of options in dialogue so its all one way.

It's also extremely violent and I went for the AGA alt cut version which restores some of the more questionable scenes. In particular one point where you have to kill a naked rock star who is being ridden by a hooker where a quick shot of your gun leaves his brains all over the bed spread. God knows why this didn't receive any comments in the press for extreme violence at the time as the game is riddled with it. Some tasteful but most gory as hell.

I will probably do a vid for my Youtube channel at some point but I just wanted to have a little natter about the game and urge people to give it a try. Not fantastic by any means but you can almost feel the lost potential of the game world as you walk around, just how many times have you been mugged for your trainers in a game before?

Bit of a mad ramble I'm sure but for some strange reason the game has really stood out in my mind over the years and it's a shame there was never a sequel.
Old 03 March 2010, 23:54   #2
mancalledSun

I loved Dreamweb. Quite young at the time it came out and I remember having to check over a walkthough a few times to finish it.

Replayed it on DOSBox one Sunday about 10 years later. Finished it in one afternoon sitting without gamefaqs!

Old 04 March 2010, 10:24   #3
Paul_s

Good game, shame it was presented in such a small screen!
Old 04 March 2010, 10:50   #4
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I really enjoyed Dreamweb - great game - I remember that it did get criticised at the time for being a bit too short.
The opening music was very atmospheric and it did have an unusual and interesting storyline.
I have replayed it a few times since and it still holds up well - if you have never played it definitely give it a go.
Old 04 March 2010, 11:10   #5
Lorfarius

I was so excited I did a Youtube vid:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 04 March 2010, 11:28   #6
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Excellent video - anyone who watches that will definitely be downloading Dreamweb and playing it!
I'm actually quite envious of anyone who hasn't played it... it is a game that should feature more often in people's top 10 Amiga games.

Enjoyed watching that!
Old 04 March 2010, 12:46   #7
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorfarius View Post
I was so excited I did a Youtube vid:

[ Show youtube player ]
Great! I'm going to enjoy that one this evening.
Old 04 March 2010, 13:46   #8
Lorfarius

Thanks guys I can't stress this enough but if you are going to play the game then make sure you pick up a copy of the Diary. Adds so much more to the experience
Old 05 March 2010, 09:49   #9
StarEye
Zone Friend

Loved that game, one of my favourites in the genre, despite being short and linear. I was so proud when I solved one of the puzzles by translating english into latin (I don't really speak latin, it was just informed guessing really). It kinda is obvious now, but it was a good feeling to manage that, back when I was a teenager.
Old 15 March 2010, 21:44   #10
kolorabi

Dreamweb is one of those games I really wish they'd launch on www.gog.com, and it's a bit annoying because they had a deal with Empire Interactive, but then Empire went bust and I've no idea if any more of their games are coming or not. Seems not, ATM.

I remember loving it back when I played it originally. Very, very atmospheric and unique. I've been replaying a lot of adventure games from the nineties lately, mostly FMV-stuff like Gabriel Knight 2 and the Tex Murphys, but the more I'm thinking about Dreamweb, the more I want to play it again. Thanks for bringing it up, Lorfarius.
Old 15 March 2010, 22:31   #11
IFW

By the description of the game, you may like this movie, called Franklyn:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0893402/
Old 16 March 2010, 10:14   #12
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Also Dark City:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118929/