English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 December 2007, 13:16   #1
Dave_wb

scandoubler flickerfixer blues

Hi guys,
Merry Xmas and all that and everything....er, oh yeah, can anyone out there in the ether help me please. I was using my A1200 last night using DPaintIV when the monitor gave me the frequency out of range screen.No worries I thought and rebooted.
My external scandoubler which is from Computertechnik in Germany now refuses to work.I know this by the fact that on the box I have two green lights, one for bypass and one for FFmode and I am not getting any illumination from them at all and the PC monitor screen is asking for the monitor to be plugged in..... but it already is.
Does anyone out there know if my scandoubler is dead or if it is possible to repair and if so where?
Yes I have WinUAE and it's great but it aint like using the real thing!!
Yours in hope
Dave
Old 12 December 2007, 16:52   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Is the A1200 RGB port operating correctly? Do you have another Amiga to test it with?

I'm not familiar with this scandoubler, can you provide a photograph?

I suspect it is a clone of the Toast Scan / Indivision. They run exceptionally hot.

If we cannot diagnose and repair the fault over the net, you can always send it to me here in Oxford. No promises and it may take a while for me to look at it fix and return (specially at XMAS). You'd have to provide the postage and packaging both ways, and if you included stamps, rather than money you'd get it back much faster.

Last edited by alexh; 12 December 2007 at 17:00.
Old 13 December 2007, 12:04   #3
Dave_wb

scan doubler

Hi Alexh,
I have tried it with another A1200 and the external scandoubler/flickerfixer is up the creek without a paddle. I will be more than happy to pay for repairs as well as postage etc. I f I contact you after Xmas would you be willing to repair it for me please? I live in hope!!
Dave
Old 13 December 2007, 12:15   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I will take a look at it, that's all I can promise.

I wont accept payment, even if I fix it, but you will have to include the return postage in the form of stamps (otherwise you wont get it back until I can find time to buy stamps which could take weeks!).

Use a reasonable quality Jiffy envelope which can be re-used.

Some photo's of it (in focus) up front would be good.

LED's not coming on is a very good sign, probably means it's salvageable.

If they were on and it didn't work I probably wouldn't be volunteering to look at it.

Last edited by alexh; 13 December 2007 at 12:22.
Old 13 December 2007, 15:59   #5
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

I have 3 2nd hand a1200s, and my external toastscan/ez vga only works on one of them. It also works fine on the NOS a1200 i have. When it doesn't work, neither of the lights show.

Just suggesting it could be your a1200 motherboard itself not able to supply the power on the rgb port no more. Of course, I assume you have never plugged/unplugged it while the miggy is on. Never know what previous owners have done.

Though I will say it still would more likely be the scandoubler at fault. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 13 December 2007, 16:11   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

That's what I figured in my first post. Shame you probably dont have a multi-meter to buzz out the power pins.