English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 December 2013, 02:57   #21
Mark Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
I'm starting up a kickstarter campaign myself to write a "History of Tiertex" book, pre-orders are being taken now. Galahad has already indicated he'll want several copies to read on the bus, toilet etc...

It will detail the history of the company and interviewing all their TOP programmers, especially Donald "Rolling Thunder, Street Fighter, Human Killing Machine" Campbell and Dr John "Strider, Dynasty Wars" Prince who released their most memorable titles
Put me down for one please, but I do worry that I'll be in such a hurry to pay just before the deadline that I'll fumble the transfer and pay the money into the wrong account, just to get it done in time. Maybe if that happens, you'll re-open the Kickstarter for me (maybe call it the US Edition?) and let me have another go at getting it right.

Any plans for a Kindle version? To keep costs down, you could just make a WAP version for Nokia phones then port it over? I don't mind if the pages jerk while turning, or if it's still typset in a crude Nokia WAP font. Hey, even lose one of the chapters in the port-over too if there's isn't room! I've never been fussy about this sort of thing! Who cares!? To get it done is the main thing.

As you can tell, I'm a life-long fan of Probe. Oops, sorry, just switched sides for a second there (while turning a bend) I meant Tiertex. Obviously.
Old 15 December 2013, 03:43   #22
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wright View Post
Put me down for one please, but I do worry that I'll be in such a hurry to pay just before the deadline that I'll fumble the transfer and pay the money into the wrong account, just to get it done in time. Maybe if that happens, you'll re-open the Kickstarter for me (maybe call it the US Edition?) and let me have another go at getting it right.

Any plans for a Kindle version? To keep costs down, you could just make a WAP version for Nokia phones then port it over? I don't mind if the pages jerk while turning, or if it's still typset in a crude Nokia WAP font. Hey, even lose one of the chapters in the port-over too if there's isn't room! I've never been fussy about this sort of thing! Who cares!? To get it done is the main thing.

As you can tell, I'm a life-long fan of Probe. Oops, sorry, just switched sides for a second there (while turning a bend) I meant Tiertex. Obviously.
It wouldn't be an accurate Tiertex book if entire chapters weren't missing. The teaser stuff on the back cover will relate to a different version of the book, but imply it's the book you're reading.

The UK version of the book will have the bottom fifth of each page completely blank.

There will of course be a thorough contents section, but at the end of the book there will be a "please turn to page 1 to continue reading" so you can never finish it.

I'm thinking 250 pounds is a fair price for this piece of history.
Old 15 December 2013, 04:04   #23
Mark Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
It wouldn't be an accurate Tiertex book if entire chapters weren't missing. The teaser stuff on the back cover will relate to a different version of the book, but imply it's the book you're reading.

The UK version of the book will have the bottom fifth of each page completely blank.

There will of course be a thorough contents section, but at the end of the book there will be a "please turn to page 1 to continue reading" so you can never finish it.

I'm thinking 250 pounds is a fair price for this piece of history.
I'd only pay that sort of money if it needlessly came as two books - with maybe 20 pages of text in the second book, the other 180 pages blank. Of course, only one book would be necessary if you find a way to use all of the available space and remove that massive Tiertex logo from the top of each page.

In other news, looking forward to my copy of the Ocean book arriving. I wonder though will it cover any of the things I'm interested in that have gone largely undocumented so far, namely (1) the use of Jon Dunn's GB "Robocop" tune in the Ariston TV advert; (2) the real story behind the Robocop 3 dongle debacle; (3) Ocean's 8-bit tapes were famously commercially bootlegged/pirated - were the culprits ever caught?; (4) a sense of the atmosphere at Central Street during the botched development of Street Hawk and Knight Rider that almost caused another Imagine-style crash; (5) an explanation of just how JW/DW managed to disuade the *entire* popular computing press from exposing the unfair/unethical monopoly/strangehold on the market that linking up with Geoff Brown's Centresoft/US Gold created - the answer here is doubtless the £1000s spent on advertising each month, but there was definitely something very iffy about the relationship between Centresoft/Ocean and the editorial of several respected magazines at times. Does the book dig deep into this, or is it just filled with deferential backslappery? Time will tell :-)

Last edited by Mark Wright; 15 December 2013 at 04:23.
Old 21 December 2013, 14:09   #24
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

I received my book this morning. I have been slowly flicking through the book (starting from the back) and it is excellent. Some computers/consoles are pictured that I never knew about, loads of pictures of the staff and artwork, plus loads and loads to read which I will try to do over christmas.
I'm glad I bought this
Old 26 December 2013, 04:48   #25
amuleth

Why are all amiga related books' prices too high (esp. Kickstarted ones)? For the only elite people or this is standart book price in the UK? I don't live there sorry, and with our currency it is beyond my league.
Old 26 December 2013, 16:27   #26
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by amuleth View Post
Why are all amiga related books' prices too high (esp. Kickstarted ones)? For the only elite people or this is standart book price in the UK? I don't live there sorry, and with our currency it is beyond my league.
I'm not familiar with the currency of Karamoon?

I guess these kinds of books are pricey due to the low-ish demand they generate (printing costs, R&D etc).

For £25 posted in the UK i think it's a good price
Old 07 January 2014, 21:45   #27
boyo

You can now buy the PDF of the Ocean book on a new site here : http://www.oceanthehistory.co.uk

If you have bought and received the book, then please do leave your views of the book in the new forum. Thanks.
Old 11 January 2014, 03:31   #28
Mark Wright

I bought this before Christmas and it was delivered promptly in pristine condition.

First impressions are that you really do feel you're getting your money's worth - embossed glossy cover, glossy photo-filled colour pages throughout, glossy Bob Wakelin artwork section, glossy profiles of ex-Ocean staff with glossy photos of ageing, balding men.

It's largely typo-free, well-written and sensibly organised, with an interview-driven chronological history of the company occupying the first section, the remainder largely dedicated to anecdotal stuff from Ocean's various luminaries. It will take you several days to read. You'll enjoy the snippets of dark humour (typical of 1980s software development) scattered through the second section. For non-Retro Gamer readers and/or non-visitors to The Ocean Experience website/forum, you'll learn some new stuff.

All in all, it does the job required of it.

However, my main criticism is that, given the intention was presumably to provide a definitive tome, the book represents a missed opportunity as there is so much left unanswered. It's clearly a labour of love and is very detailed, but either the compilers shyed away from certain topics so as not to upset the contributors, or they were not well-informed to start with, relying upon interviewees to drive the narrative.

It's more of a "One Show" account of such a controversial company, rather than an intense "Newsnight" interrogation. I suppose the book is meant as a celebration of Ocean, so that's perhaps understandable. Still, I would have liked more depth.

Ultimately, it's fantastic to be able to own such a quality item, focused on such niche subject matter. What an age we live in! Yet, I suspect hardened nerds such as myself will be disappointed by the shallow yield of exclusive juicy gossip, due largely to the obsequious approach. On the other hand, if you're the sort of person who constantly marvels at those glossy £10 Retro Gamer Bookazines, you'll treasure this. Either way, but it!

"Absolutely Brilliant!!!!" - Gary Bracey
"Burn all your other books, this is the only one you need!" - A. Historian
Old 11 January 2014, 14:08   #29
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyo View Post
You can now buy the PDF of the Ocean book on a new site here : http://www.oceanthehistory.co.uk

If you have bought and received the book, then please do leave your views of the book in the new forum. Thanks.
i have bought the book as PDF, and i got nothing, is it normal ?

EDIT : even worse, i have registered myself, and now it says that i'm unknown !

I have the paypal recept of what i have bought, can you do something about it ?

Last edited by dlfrsilver; 11 January 2014 at 14:29.
Old 11 January 2014, 19:30   #30
manic23
Only Amiga!

Dam this website for costing me so much money! This book looks awesome, I have just ordered it.
Old 11 January 2014, 21:36   #31
boyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
i have bought the book as PDF, and i got nothing, is it normal ?

EDIT : even worse, i have registered myself, and now it says that i'm unknown !

I have the paypal recept of what i have bought, can you do something about it ?
The new site had to be rebuilt - sent you the PDF and link to the digital version.
Old 25 January 2014, 20:04   #32
manic23
Only Amiga!

How long does this take to come, ordered mine on the 11th Jan, no sign of it yet. Thanks.
Old 26 January 2014, 03:44   #33
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Looks like Ill have to order this next month. Ive already ordered the history of sega book.
Old 26 January 2014, 21:25   #34
boyo

Guys, the first batch of books sold out quite quickly. The second batch were slightly delayed from the printers, but should be with me Wednesday - I can then send them out. Thanks for your patience.
Old 27 January 2014, 13:58   #35
manic23
Only Amiga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyo View Post
Guys, the first batch of books sold out quite quickly. The second batch were slightly delayed from the printers, but should be with me Wednesday - I can then send them out. Thanks for your patience.
OK no prob, thanks for letting us know
Old 05 February 2014, 19:37   #36
manic23
Only Amiga!

I received the book today. Thanks, it is a lovely book very good quality with nice embossed logo on cover and colour pictures. I will enjoy reading this.
Old 05 February 2014, 23:52   #37
boyo

I have 30 or spare from this batch - so if anyone would like one quick

http://www.oceanthehistory.co.uk
Old 06 February 2014, 09:23   #38
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Just ordered mine. Looking forward to it
Old 06 February 2014, 09:39   #39
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wright View Post
I bought this before Christmas and it was delivered promptly in pristine condition.

First impressions are that you really do feel you're getting your money's worth - embossed glossy cover, glossy photo-filled colour pages throughout, glossy Bob Wakelin artwork section, glossy profiles of ex-Ocean staff with glossy photos of ageing, balding men.

It's largely typo-free, well-written and sensibly organised, with an interview-driven chronological history of the company occupying the first section, the remainder largely dedicated to anecdotal stuff from Ocean's various luminaries. It will take you several days to read. You'll enjoy the snippets of dark humour (typical of 1980s software development) scattered through the second section. For non-Retro Gamer readers and/or non-visitors to The Ocean Experience website/forum, you'll learn some new stuff.

All in all, it does the job required of it.

However, my main criticism is that, given the intention was presumably to provide a definitive tome, the book represents a missed opportunity as there is so much left unanswered. It's clearly a labour of love and is very detailed, but either the compilers shyed away from certain topics so as not to upset the contributors, or they were not well-informed to start with, relying upon interviewees to drive the narrative.

It's more of a "One Show" account of such a controversial company, rather than an intense "Newsnight" interrogation. I suppose the book is meant as a celebration of Ocean, so that's perhaps understandable. Still, I would have liked more depth.

Ultimately, it's fantastic to be able to own such a quality item, focused on such niche subject matter. What an age we live in! Yet, I suspect hardened nerds such as myself will be disappointed by the shallow yield of exclusive juicy gossip, due largely to the obsequious approach. On the other hand, if you're the sort of person who constantly marvels at those glossy £10 Retro Gamer Bookazines, you'll treasure this. Either way, but it!

"Absolutely Brilliant!!!!" - Gary Bracey
"Burn all your other books, this is the only one you need!" - A. Historian
From that I gather there won't be much about RoboCop 3, its copy protection bragging and its lightning fast demise as a tool to beat crackers?
Old 06 February 2014, 10:07   #40
Higgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
From that I gather there won't be much about RoboCop 3, its copy protection bragging and its lightning fast demise as a tool to beat crackers?
Ah yes, I remember in the day Amiga Format(?) or another mag going on about how the 'dongle' was the best. Then a cracker group very soon afterwards, posted a copy of the game to them working without the dongle! DOH!

I really liked that game. Really made me feel like you were in a virtual world.