English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 30 January 2012, 17:13   #441
olesio

gibs: like Bloodwych wrote = it is sad, but I hope maybe you change your mind in future. And I hope final version will have fast navigate feature which You show us on video sample.
Old 30 January 2012, 20:33   #442
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibs View Post
Thanks.
For some reasons (I can't explain here), I'm going to release the last version of Tiny Launcher.
Man that's really wrong. You shouldn't do this, I told you before.
Old 31 January 2012, 00:10   #443
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
For some reasons (I can't explain here), I'm going to release the last version of Tiny Launcher.
I do wish you'd change your mind about abandoning this project. Many of us here would be disappointed by that.
Old 31 January 2012, 22:23   #444
gibs
Banned

Here is the 2.0b01 : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1566495/Tiny...ncher20b01.exe

Olesio can you test it ?

If you have any problem, delete everything in S:TinyLauncher except TinyConfig.tl

I'm going to add the support for the ClassicWB directory structure and then...

Old 31 January 2012, 23:00   #445
nujack
Zone Friend

Quote:
Thanks.
Sad to hear that this will be the last version. I like that program very much.
Old 01 February 2012, 00:29   #446
olesio

Quote:
Here is the 2.0b01 : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1566495/Tiny...ncher20b01.exe

Olesio can you test it ?
Yes I can. Form my fast test everything is fine execpt one thing, when you select game or demo - you will see freen scrolling text again, it does not look to nice.

Quote:
If you have any problem, delete everything in S:TinyLauncher except TinyConfig.tl
It was not need it, but I delete it and test it for sure. Everything is fine.
Quote:
I'm going to add the support for the ClassicWB directory structure and then...
Probable Shoonay and others who have games and demos in letters subdirs will be glad But one important thins please include FastNav feature, which you mentioned before. Because maybe I'm doing something wrong, but pressing up key for longer while on first item do not show FastNav letters on top of the list. Probable you will include in new version when you add support for letters subdirectories. But please, if it is possible add FastNav also in support for old style directories (one directory for each category: ECS Games, AGA Games, ECS Demos, AGA Demos and one directory for modules. Because reorganize folder under Windows OS and WinUAE with harddisk mounted as directories is not such a big problem, but under real Amiga even with filemanagers available there is a little time-consuming for me and I do not want to take off cover from my Amiga to connect harddisk on CF Card to my PC.
Old 01 February 2012, 06:10   #447
gibs
Banned

FastNav is in this (2.01) version.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1566495/Tiny...%2029%2040.mov

2.02: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1566495/Tiny...ncher20b02.exe

Olesio: I just forgot to tell you that you need to update the database (F1)

Last edited by gibs; 01 February 2012 at 14:31.
Old 02 February 2012, 23:59   #448
olesio

Unfortunetly probable RAM in my desktop PC is damaged and I must take computer to service. I'm writing from my father laptop right now. This laptop is too weak to run latest WinUAE and I do not want to mess with configurations, so I will test it later, sorry. I will edit my post later and let you know.
Old 03 February 2012, 09:47   #449
ocean
Rookie Amiga user

Send a message via MSN to ocean
I'm really looking forward for that ClassicWB structure, that's what I was after in the first place...

I still have couple of guestions...

1) The "Games - Demos - Music" -text slides to the screen with flickering. Sometimes it remains black when the screen is in place, sometimes it's all coloured as it should be.

2) I think the scroller would be nice when it's shown only on the first screen. When looking infopage, the scroller is quite jerky on my unaccelerated A600 (with A604)...

3) I kind of liked the old "Loading" -screen, when it didn't slide across the screen but just faded. It looked a bit "pro", but that's just my opinion...

I still have to finetune my a600, because the infopage says that I don't have any kickstart images and the system is NTCS (when it should be pal), but this could be my mistakes, as I'm not very experienced Amiga user.

Thanks for the effort this far, I've been a huge fan of tinylauncher since it's started and I hope the developing doesn't end... Best wishes to you Gibs!
Old 03 February 2012, 12:38   #450
Bloodwych

Big fan too - and if Gibs can add looking in all sub directories in a given location or assign, I'd be honoured to add his launcher to the ClassicWB packs if he'd let me (but I'd fully understand if he didn't want it included).

If not, it would still be a nice feature for others to download and use with their Workbench games letter drawers.

Some people also have games on different partitions and ask to be able to add multiple locations (like search both DH1:Games, DH2:Games). I don't have proper support for that in the ClassicWB packs, I assume one location only, the assign A-Games:, but you may want to consider adding it to your launcher for completeness.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 03 February 2012 at 13:02.
Old 03 February 2012, 18:17   #451
gibs
Banned

Ocean,
I'm going to check the scrolling.
Actually I'm not using the minimig anymore to code but the A1200. (the palette isn't the same, and also the way it's displayed.
Are you sure that the scrolling isn't jerky because you're not using a 50Hz diplay monitor ? I'm going to check but it's supposed to run in 1 VBL (50fps).
"NTSC" option means that if you use a NTSC Amiga, you need to be switch TL into NTSC if you want to see all the screen. It means that you'll use 320x200 (50hz if you're using a PAL Amiga). You can have an Amiga PAL and use 320x200 but you'll have a black band in the bottom and will display less items. Switching the option to PAL will use the 320x256 resolution (full screen & more items are displayed). Check this video : [ Show youtube player ]

Bloodwych,
Of course you can use it in ClassicWB...But actually it will not work with your directories...
You are in a better position than me to know that it's impossible to do one 1 thing that work and please everybody. (that's the reason why there's 3 or 4 versions of classicwb).
My first goal was to make a simple & fast launcher to create a compilation with a small amount of games but the best ones without using a database. By using 1 subdir it allow to scan faster, the database is created everytime in memory which has faster access than HDD/CF access, so it's better for browsing (inside TL) with the slowest computers. This solution was perfect for 200-400 games (1 CD).
Then people wanted to add more games. It needed to reserve more memory to store the database, but if I reserver too much memory it would not run anymore on amiga with low memory. So I have created the database.
Now everything seems runing fine, but doesn't fit with mutliple subdirectories.
So it need another engine.
To me, a frontend is to make life easier. Why puting the games in differents subdir if you're not going to use the workbench anymore ? I use filemaster (thanks toni) and everything working fine.
Even by puting the games in differents directories will not be usable for the craziest ones that want to put all the Amiga collection on their Amiga.
So what is the best solution ?
Old 03 February 2012, 19:50   #452
Bloodwych

No problem gibs, it's your launcher and if it works best as a stand alone low mem game utility with a single directory then that's what it should be!

I didn't realize it would sacrifice resources supporting sub directories.

If people prefer to use your launcher in the ClassicWB, they can easily delete the letter drawers and everything in the ClassicWB will work the same (the letter drawers are not essential for anything in the ClassicWB, all current launchers work without them; they are just there for looks and organisation.)

So if it's easier for people to delete those and keep your launcher close to your ideals, then that is the best solution. I can easily write a script that either uses Letter Drawers, or removes them and supports your launcher for RAD: and early startup options depending on what users select when installing. Much, much simplier than you re-writing Tiny Launcher and a very satisfying solution.

Thanks for allowing it to be included. It's an awesome bit of work that really helps many of us out a great deal. I would place it in the multiboot/early startup menus which would be especially useful for low mem Amiga owners and also links in actual Workbench of course. I'd also put up a screen during the install with the option of Tiny Launcher support giving full credits to you and whatever else you may like mentioned.

I too would prefer it to use less memory than support subdirectories - your philosophy is a good one.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 03 February 2012 at 19:56.
Old 03 February 2012, 22:02   #453
gibs
Banned

What I meant about sub-directories is (maybe it wasn't clear) that : 1st TL was made for a small amount of games, and realtime scanning (on a stock CD32 about 3 seconds for 200 games on a CDROM seems ok).
I think that if you enter 2 more directories you can multiply this number (including access time).
The database was a solution when you don't want to scan everytime a huge amount of games, but it is obvious for few of us, but not for everybody example in this video, the guy wasn't aware about it : [ Show youtube player ].
some people doesn't want to read documentation, which I can understand

An example (and this is true) I never understood what to do in ClassicWB after putting the games in directories...
Old 03 February 2012, 22:31   #454
Bloodwych

Quote:
An example (and this is true) I never understood what to do in ClassicWB after putting the games in directories...
But, but ... I made a vid! http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/tutorials.htm

I see what you mean though. Many skip through fast when trying things. Thanks for clearing up your thoughts and explaining the situation.
Old 04 February 2012, 02:39   #455
gibs
Banned

Ok
Well I did a version that is working with classicwb surdirectories.
I think that you mix ECS/AGA right ? Do you support Demos ?

Do I need to do a special version ? (for the front panel)

Or do I need to set a mode "CWB" and if "CWB" is active TL jump in the 1st list at launch where there's only games (AGA/ECS mixed)?

hmmm I'm reflecting on the best way to do it, so Jim will just have to copy it.

Last edited by gibs; 04 February 2012 at 03:24.
Old 04 February 2012, 11:33   #456
Bloodwych

Wow, that was unexpected! Thanks gibs for doing that, I know it must have taken quite a bit of your time.

ClassicWB does mix ECS/AGA in one directory, in fact all WHDLoad games go in one single directory (with letter drawers).

Demos go in another separate directory (but again all types of WHDLoad Demos).

As for the best method, I’m not sure. You could have two versions, but then that’s twice as much work when you want to update anything.

Or you could have one version that detects (or has an icon tool type setting) as you said.
Old 04 February 2012, 14:13   #457
gibs
Banned

Ok I'm going to simplify the home screen : "GAMES - DEMOS - MUSIC".
No sub categories "AGA/ECS".

I hope everybody is agree
Old 04 February 2012, 14:14   #458
fgh

I agree
Old 04 February 2012, 14:24   #459
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
hmmm I'm reflecting on the best way to do it, so Jim will just have to copy it.
One more little dig like that and you get a month's ban.
Old 04 February 2012, 15:10   #460
gibs
Banned

Bye!