English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 13 November 2002, 15:36   #1
Bobbin

An outsiders look at WinUAE

I don't know how you feel about it, but sometimes it seems like some people are thinking WinUAE is just developed for the last of the amiga freaks nowadays. There isn't that much of a buzz surrounding a new release of WinUAE, so it's easy to believe that there less and less people interested in still playing those old-farted games on a PC. That was also what I thought, being very glad that Toni still develops for our community (well, he probably would do it for himself only if no one else would be interested in it anymore . But I recently met with some friends for some network fun. And to my surprise they started swapping the amiga emulator and amiga games. They are pure gamers, but no hardcore gamers. Not interested in anything but the popular games. They also don't know what an emulator really does, but at least they know it and like it. They probably would never think of leaving a feedback on a board or via email.
What I want to say with this? I think a whole lot of people are using this emulator but we only see very few of them. Just wanted to post this to encourage Toni
Old 14 November 2002, 00:42   #2
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Re: An outsiders look at WinUAE

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobbin
I don't know how you feel about it, but sometimes it seems like some people are thinking WinUAE is just developed for the last of the amiga freaks nowadays. There isn't that much of a buzz surrounding a new release of WinUAE, so it's easy to believe that there less and less people interested in still playing those old-farted games on a PC.
Now now...
"old-farted" is not a nice word, because it reminds me of "fart".
Say "old-fashioned" if you insist, but I suggest you refrain from using the above word, if you please. It's far from being objective.

I don't think there are so few of them! A lot of them do use the emulator, but never post on forums! I think RCK is the first to tell you from the statistics HOW MANY people are visiting the EAB every day but never post anything! And because they aren't in need for ROMZ .. eh ADFs, they don't register because they don't need to access the zone!
They just want to read, because some of them are only interested in current gossip, scene news .. and the like.

And as a side-note: as soon as (Win)UAE 1.0 is out, there will be a HUGE interest for this emulator, because some people refuse to install ANY software on their PC that's still being in beta or development state! (You betcha!)
And (Win)UAE IS still in development state, this is a fact!
Hope this makes things a bit clear at least.
Old 14 November 2002, 00:59   #3
Djay
95th User

i doubt there will ever be a final edition of WinUAE...

its true to say that some people are into the scene in a big way, and some are not... a bit like... "i have a playstation, but don't really it use it, well only for a kick about on ISS"...

i would imagine alot of "Amiga emu users" are not "Amiga sceners"... back in the day there was a difference and that survives today!
Old 14 November 2002, 11:45   #4
Bobbin

Yes, that's true. My friends never were interested in anything but playing their game of soccer (no difference on the Amiga) or playing Hanse/Ports Of Call again. It's not like they are fascinated by the inner workings of an emu as we are.

@andreas: Don't take the term "old-farted" too seriously. It's meant ironically and it's also what those pure gamers say about them - and my thread is about these gamers.