English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 13 November 2010, 06:46   #1
MethodGit

Shadow Fighter tutorial doesn't seem to work.

I follow everything to the letter and as closely as possible, but even after inputting the patch code and saving the new bootblock, it still fails to get past the protection screen. It's as if that BRA instruction isn't getting through somehow.

I went through the whole procedure over and over, checking to see if any addresses turned out to be different from what the screenshots and tutorial indicate, but I couldn't spot anything odd. I'm using the SPS #1630 version, which as far as I can tell is the only ECS version of the game in their database.

I thoroughly checked all the instructions I inputted and found no mistakes nor misdirects to incorrect offsets. As far as I can tell, I've done everything the tutorial asked. So where exactly is it all going wrong???
Old 13 November 2010, 10:27   #2
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

That's the problem when you just blindly follow tutorials that don't tell you anything you have to do. What's missing in the tutorial is obvious and if you understand what's happening you should be able to figure it out. However, my impression is still that you don't really know what you're doing. Anyway, you have patched the bootblock and added the crack patch. Question: Where is this patch called? If you can answer that question you know what you have to do. Think about it.
Old 13 November 2010, 18:27   #3
MethodGit

Well, the patch is called at address/offset $100. I've looked at all the addresses it makes calls/references to, and as far as I can tell they're in the right spots. The MOVE.L (replace longword) and MOVE.W (replace word) commands give out the right numbers. The "replace-BEQ-with-BRA" instruction is pointing to the right address. It's JMPing to the right spots. So I'm not really sure what's making it ignore the "replace-BEQ-with-BRA" thing. It can't be that JMP 8000 instruction surely, as you're supposed to make it jump there before it can find the offset to change.

I've been looking at the code at 700c0 to see if there's anything wrong with that, but as far as I can tell it's transferring the patch to 100 and calling it from there as it's supposed to, and using the correct opcodes to change the JMP address. I can assure you I've not been following this blindly, I've come to understand more about the MOVE commands, the opcodes (and their similarity to hex modification) and what instructions they're associated with...... I'm just simply pointing out that there may be an error somewhere in the tutorial.
Old 13 November 2010, 19:17   #4
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post
Well, the patch is called at address/offset $100.
Are you sure that it is called?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post
I'm just simply pointing out that there may be an error somewhere in the tutorial.
And I'm simply pointing out that you don't really understand what is happening and WHY as otherwise you would have been able to solve that very simple problem on your own. And it is the reason why I don't give you the solution since you seem to be pretty confident of your skills. Besides, I want you to think about that problem yourself.
Check the bootblock code and try to understand it. If you can't solve it on your own you simply don't really know how to crack yet, as simple as that.

Cracking is not "read a tutorial and repeat every single step shown there", you need to develop your own way of thinking and solving problems. There is just a little thing that is not mentioned in the tutorial and you are stuck already.
Old 13 November 2010, 19:39   #5
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Agreement with Stingray here. Just blindly following a tutorial that someone else wrote is NOT cracking.

Sure the end result (in the end eh?! ) is to have cracked the game, but without someone elses work to show you how, you wouldn't be able to do it.

Cracking is as Stingray said, its problem solving, and thats part of the buzz of cracking that you are able to circumvent someone elses efforts to stop you, its the ultimate game of chess sometimes.

Instead of following a Flashtro tutorial which I've said in the past aren't good enough to explain everything (doesn't include Wayne before he chips in! ), go and pick a random easily protected game that isn't covered by Flashtro and PROBLEM SOLVE your way to cracking it.

Do that, and you'll find yourself developing REAL skills, that will benefit you, following a tutorial doesn't help you, it just gives you an inflated sense of achievement off someone elses work.

And no, thats not me having a dig, thats just the way it is, you'll certainly learn more that way.

You'll either take it on board like a mature adult, or do a -Rob- and have a massive hissy fit, delete all your posts and go running away because people didn't give the required 'adulation'!
Old 13 November 2010, 21:45   #6
skateblind
Village Idiot

How about just helping him guys? I'm sure he knows by now what you guys think he should be doing, but obviously he wants to do it his way.
Old 13 November 2010, 22:01   #7
MethodGit

Ah wait! The tutorial didn't mention to add a BRA 700C0 to 7005C. I think that's what's causing all this confusion. *goes off to test*
Old 13 November 2010, 22:03   #8
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateblind View Post
How about just helping him guys? I'm sure he knows by now what you guys think he should be doing, but obviously he wants to do it his way.
If we help him too much, he won't learn or understtand why it doesn't work.

Stingray has given him a pointer to help him, but its important for Methodgit to get to the answer himself, he'll feel a sense of achievement for doing it, and begin to understand what the problem was.
Old 13 November 2010, 22:04   #9
skateblind
Village Idiot

That's fine, I see SR has actually provided help, I just think all this 'you must learn it this way' stuff is getting nowhere.
Old 13 November 2010, 22:17   #10
Asman

@MethodGit -

1. Are you 100% sure that you have same game image as author of the tutorial ? Did you checked other game images ? Did you checked already cracked game images ?

2. Did you saw or have author cracked game image ? If you have then you can just compare images and check where is the mistake.

From my point of view such tutorial must have oryginal image to crack and cracked version + all necessary tools.

regards
Old 13 November 2010, 22:21   #11
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateblind View Post
How about just helping him guys?
How about you reading the complete thread before posting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateblind
That's fine, I see SR has actually provided help, I just think all this 'you must learn it this way' stuff is getting nowhere.
And your contribution to this thread helped exactly how? You can think whatever you want (and I won't post what I think about your contribution since you apparently only want to see "happy happy joy joy" posts here) but there is no one here who wants Methodgit to learn it "his way"! Besides, I totally agree with Galahad.
Old 13 November 2010, 22:26   #12
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asman View Post
1. Are you 100% sure that you have same game image as author of the tutorial ? Did you checked other game images ? Did you checked already cracked game images ?
The image is fine, I would have told him already if the image was the problem. The problem is just that a little detail is not mentioned in the tutorial.
Old 13 November 2010, 22:27   #13
MethodGit

Okay, turns out changing 7005c isn't the answer. Then I remembered the boot code includes a JMP 7A000 instruction, so I changed that to JMP 700C0. Still no dice! It's strange because the game boots like normal still, so it obviously acknowledged the new JMP 7A000 moved elsewhere.

StingRay is right about one thing - the patch isn't getting called for some reason, despite the code in 700C0 transferring it to $100/70100, and I even checked that the code was exactly $26 in size (which it is). I also checked 7A0D0 (after going into AR at start of disk booting) and it still reads JMP 8000 instead of JMP 100 like it should do.

If it still turns out to be one more simple instruction I'm missing (that the tutorial conveniently leaves out), I'll kick myself to kingdom come and back! So far I can determine one of two issues:
A) there's something wrong with the code at 700C0 so that it isn't jumping to 100, or
B) the game needs to be given a reference to 700C0 at startup so that it can actually patch stuff (and 7005C and 7002E are not the places to add a reference).

You know, I could just do things the hard way, and rip the appropriate RNC block from the disk and hard-patch it, then recompress and rewrite it back to disk. But I guess the bootblock patch was designed specifically to avoid all this extra effort - how ironic then that it isn't working right-off-the-bat at the moment!
Old 13 November 2010, 22:50   #14
MethodGit

Folks............... it pays to remember not to get certain instructions mixed up.

I had it bang on the dot with the "change 7002E" brainstorm. It's just it's supposed to BRA, not JMP.

Thank you for enjoying this mental trainwreck, ladies and gentlemen. You've been a marvellous audience!