English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 17 October 2010, 10:36   #801
pintcat

Did someone see "Walhalla Rising"? I really like Viking movies and I'm very curious if it's worth watching. DVD has just been released here in Germany.
Old 17 October 2010, 14:29   #802
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Firstable, Walahalla Rising is no typical Viking movie. Don't expect epic battles or an action story. It's more like some tough guys in the nature, the main charakter doesn't speak a word in the whole movie. Anyway, the landscape shots are very beautiful. Of course there are also some fights with brutal gore effects. If you can't stand a lethargic/depressive story, stay away. But it's definitely worth to watch this movie.

7/10 guts
Old 17 October 2010, 16:29   #803
pintcat

Mads Mikkelsen keeping his mouth shut? Surprises me a little! Since the DVD came out it was always out of stock in my video store. So the movie must have something exciting. I'm sure going to watch it as soon as I manage to rent a copy. Thanx for the small review.
Old 17 October 2010, 19:58   #804
skateblind
Village Idiot

Watched Zombieland this morning at about 3am. I loved it and would recommend it to just about anyone.
Old 20 October 2010, 20:01   #805
pubzombie

Yay Zombieland is great - I thought it was very well done, not as funny as Shaun of The Dead though.

Watching the Road atm - its very dark a dismal, Apparently the devs of fallout 3 read the book and used it to help design the wasteland. You can def see the similarities
Old 20 October 2010, 20:18   #806
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Hey pubzombie. Where ya been dude? Don't tell me that you were at the pub the whole time...
Old 20 October 2010, 21:28   #807
skateblind
Village Idiot

Law Abiding Citizen was fantastic. I was rooting for the bad guy through the whole film, even though he was killing people. O_o

Sign of a great story or mental illness?
Old 20 October 2010, 23:00   #808
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Hey pubzombie. Where ya been dude? Don't tell me that you were at the pub the whole time...
Hey buddy,
well I have been in the pub as much as i can be lol. Apart from that its been all work and house hunting
my miggies are all packed up in the loft ready to move.
will be glad when its all done and dusted now.
Gimbal - hope u well matey ,, hows things?
Old 21 October 2010, 10:55   #809
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
Hey buddy,
well I have been in the pub as much as i can be lol. Apart from that its been all work and house hunting
my miggies are all packed up in the loft ready to move.
will be glad when its all done and dusted now.
Gimbal - hope u well matey ,, hows things?
we'll take that to PMs
Old 31 October 2010, 02:25   #810
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

repo men. The story in this movie is next to ludicrous - apparently half the population of the city it takes place in need artificial organs and/or limbs and none, I repeat, NONE of them can actually pay for them.

So what do you do when your customers don't pay up? You send in the repo men, who cut the artificials right out of you and take them back home so they can be reused in the next sucker.

Seriously, that concept was created just to be a little different from the other ridiculous plots out there. And it works, somehow. Its actually an entertaining movie to see with all its bizarre events. If you cannot stomach blood and guts don't see this as it is quite gory, not in the classy "Sweeney Todd" way either. What prevents the movie from becoming too much is that it has an injection of humor among all the spraying blood.

But there remains that lingering "something ain't right" kind of feeling throughout that prevents you from really enjoying it. I pinned it down to the two main actors - Jude Law and Forest Whitaker. Fine actors on their own, but together they simply don't shine. It is probably because they are supposed to have a buddy relationship, while neither has the capacity to convincingly put that on film. They are best kept for loner roles.

Okay movie, good to see once. Don't waste money on a blu ray version, you'll feel sorry.
Old 08 November 2010, 10:30   #811
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Brooklyn's Finest. Lots of big names in this one; Ethan Hawke, Wesley Snipes, Richard Gere, Don Cheadle. Must be a good movie right? It even gets a decent score on IMDB.

It just didn't do anything for me. Basically it is another cop movie, but this time without story. What you get is three very, very thin storylines that have only one relation to each other; sometimes the characters meet so the camera can go follow the other. They each have their own problems in life that all revolve around not making it in society, but the acting is just so underwhelming that it doesn't do anything for you.

It just doesn't start anywhere and it doesn't really end anywhere either. In the meanwhile, it doesn't go anywhere. Its just... characters interacting, talking. Not really deep dialogue either, the standard cop/gangster talk. No real action anywhere so it should have suspense, but even that is severely lacking. The only really interesting part can be found in the last half hour - not great when the movie happens to be 2 hours long.

Don Cheadle acts like he always does - good enough to be entertaining. Wesley Snipes... I don't know, something is lost. He's supposed to be a gangster that just got out of prison, but he just lacks the menace to be any kind of drug dealer. Its far from convincing. Ethan Hawke is quite good, but his character has been recycled by too many movies to be entertaining. And Richard Gere? Nice to see him on the screen again, but unfortunately he was given a role that simply doesn't use his acting abilities - the retiring cop bit. What a shame.

Nope. I wasn't entertained Could have been a great movie, with just a little more story. That's all I ask, a little storytelling.
Old 13 November 2010, 14:33   #812
blade002
Zone Friend

[ Show youtube player ]

This movie scores 10/10 in my books It has a lot to say about cultures and attitudes in general.
Old 16 November 2010, 15:04   #813
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Just saw Skyline. It's not very good. The last five minutes in particular ruins the film entirely.

It's a shame, because, despite my reservations, I almost liked the film. Sure, the acting was wooden and the dialogue was cringeworthy, but I didn't expect much more from a film brought to me by the makers of Independence Day.

What I did like was the localisation of the events. In this film, an alien invasion of the planet is occurring, but the film chooses (quite smartly) to only follow the movements of a small group of people, whose only real goal is to escape their high rise apartment (hence the title of the film). I found this localised approach much more satisfying and hard-hitting than Independence Day's, which panned out and took a more global view of its invasion, which in turn reduced your connection with the characters and made the film less intimate as a result of such a grand scope on proceedings. I liked the magnifying glass on events that Skyline offered better.

Unfortunate, really, that this film just didn't deliver in the end.
Old 16 November 2010, 16:41   #814
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

yes, but Independence Day was a 90's action comedy. I don't think it was ever intended to be anything more than that (well, at the time the visuals were quite spectacular I can remember). I don't need to identify with its characters, I want them to make me laugh. They did and still do to be frank. To me, it was a complete success in what it tried to achieve.
Old 17 November 2010, 03:31   #815
ChrisUnionNJ
Amibay Mod/Staff

Tron Legacy looks awesome!!!

[ Show youtube player ]

Chris
Old 27 November 2010, 16:56   #816
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Machete. Its an incredibly fun movie. Violent of course, plenty of blood and guts, but it is never presented seriously so don't worry if you have a weak stomach. Do worry if you somehow cannot deal with full frontal nudity; the movie has plenty of that.

But still, I would have expected it to be even more over the top, to match the trailer in Planet Terror at the time. Most of the time it is actually a run of the mill action comedy with some Rodriguez tricks thrown in (grind house style), only at a few moments does it elevate to the idiotic. But who cares, its another great Rodriguez action flick.

Only one real gripe: why the hell is Steven Seagal in this movie? Is it a new trend to put one terribly misplaced actor in an otherwise great movie that throws the whole thing off?
Old 28 November 2010, 02:43   #817
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

And another. This time my attention went to Law Abiding Citizen.

Finally, a Hollywood movie that is actually clever! The story is not that original; guy is charged with murder and then goes to outwit everybody. But the movie is well executed, the acting is solid and the plot is not really that predictable. Its refreshing to see the impossible be made possible in a believable way.

If you haven't seen it yet, I can highly recommend it.
Old 28 November 2010, 02:56   #818
skateblind
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
And another. This time my attention went to Law Abiding Citizen.

Finally, a Hollywood movie that is actually clever! The story is not that original; guy is charged with murder and then goes to outwit everybody. But the movie is well executed, the acting is solid and the plot is not really that predictable. Its refreshing to see the impossible be made possible in a believable way.

If you haven't seen it yet, I can highly recommend it.
Did you root for the bad guy in the film? I did...
Old 28 November 2010, 17:29   #819
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

no, he is and remains a total self-absorbed prick, no matter what the circumstances are
Old 30 November 2010, 16:00   #820
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I'm undecided about the new Harry Potter film. The vast panoramic shots don't seem to suit it, the movie is overly dark and dirty, and the teenage sexual tension stuff feels out of place.

I was thinking about this, and now I realise what I don't like about the movie - it feels way too much like Twilight. Good grief! Please don't take this wonderful movie franchise in that direction.