English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 11 May 2016, 17:51   #41
Anubis
Retro Gamer

What is best way to keep uae4arm up to date in RetroPie? Just run update/upgrade and run update of emulator scripts from RetroPie menu?
Old 11 May 2016, 18:44   #42
trixster
Guru Meditating

Yes. That should update the setup scripts to direct to the latest Chips version of uae4arm on his GitHub. After that You might have to choose build from source for uae4arm. It won't install the jit2 version as chips has not compiled that yet. The binary for that can be dloaded from the thread on the rpi forum.
Old 16 May 2016, 14:32   #43
Anubis
Retro Gamer

OK, here is my latest experience with RetroPie 3.7 and UAE4ARM:

* Installed RetroPie 3.7 version
* Run update, upgrade and script update
* Placed kickstarts to appropriate bios folders
* Copied few ADFs and ClassicWB full
* Tested some games (Alien Breed, Lionhart, Premiere) All work fine except Lionhart, which has copper running in background... not so easy to emulate.
* Tried ClassicWB and WHDload - added HD1 as folder on Pi - games seems to run fine - no issues - tested Pinbal Dreams/Illusions, Rick Dangerous, Alien Breed and few others.
* Noticed uaem files in folders (Windows creates those if you use directory for HD) - UAR4ARM did not use them at all - removed them.

Now, this is where I start having bit of issue - unable to create HDF file - every time I create one, file size is 0. Created 2GB HDF to use for games on windows, moved it to RPi, attached and still not recognized.

Is there file size limit for HDF??

Another issue is playing Pinball games - noticed left control was not working as well right shift not working properly. This seems more like configuration issue.

Anyone created SH script to start UAE4ARM with configuration file without showing GUI?

BTW, great job with on screen status bar.

I can see this as full amiga replacement, with little changes I made to samba (I can move stuff from windows without much of issue to Amiga folder on RPi and even attach folder on windows emulator and move data that way).

So far, very positive experience. Great job!
Old 16 May 2016, 22:47   #44
Chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Now, this is where I start having bit of issue - unable to create HDF file - every time I create one, file size is 0. Created 2GB HDF to use for games on windows, moved it to RPi, attached and still not recognized.

Is there file size limit for HDF??
Someone entered a issue in github saying HDD work up to 1GB but not above:
https://github.com/Chips-fr/uae4arm-rpi/issues/15
Note that i always tested smaller HDD than 1GB and never get any pb...
So looks like we are limited to 1GB..

Quote:
Another issue is playing Pinball games - noticed left control was not working as well right shift not working properly. This seems more like configuration issue.
Which pinball game ? Which key is used for left ?
I just tested pinball dream: left shift is working but right shift is moving both side. I just found why so I will surely push the solution for this one...
This is inside some custom control/mouse/pandora code... indeed the source code is a mess in this part and I'm scratching my head to understand it

Quote:
BTW, great job with on screen status bar.
Well the first number should be cpu usage and is not working (stuck around 100) and the 2nd should be framerate but do have some small jitter... anyway other are working well

Last edited by Chips; 16 May 2016 at 23:01.
Old 17 May 2016, 14:42   #45
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chips View Post
Someone entered a issue in github saying HDD work up to 1GB but not above:
https://github.com/Chips-fr/uae4arm-rpi/issues/15
Note that i always tested smaller HDD than 1GB and never get any pb...
So looks like we are limited to 1GB..
That is good to know. I tried 2GB and 2100MB. Will play with it, as it might inherit UAE issue with cylinders being unassigned 2bit integer.

Quote:
Which pinball game ? Which key is used for left ?
I just tested pinball dream: left shift is working but right shift is moving both side. I just found why so I will surely push the solution for this one...
This is inside some custom control/mouse/pandora code... indeed the source code is a mess in this part and I'm scratching my head to understand it
Pinball dreams and pinbal illusions - both use left ctr and left shift to control left flipper, while right shift and right control move right flipper. I find right control and left shift working fine, while left control was missing, and as you noted, right shift moves both flippers.

Quote:
Well the first number should be cpu usage and is not working (stuck around 100) and the 2nd should be framerate but do have some small jitter... anyway other are working well
I could not care less for CPU usage, sound and framerate, but to know that there is something going with HD or floppy, every computer emulator should have something like that.

It serves purpose in my opinion. It would be nice to be able to move it to right side, if your screen is wide, and you like to have 1:1 with amiga screen. Something like column of lights, rather then horizontal.

How hard would be to make it possible to change what each key on gamepad does? (like button 0 - autofire, button 1 - regualrd fire button, button 2 - space... etc.)

Not so good with C++ (made few projects back at school long time ago), but if I can help with anything, please let me know.

Oh, one more question, is there documentation regarding any key combinations?
Old 17 May 2016, 21:57   #46
Chips

Quote:
Pinball dreams and pinbal illusions - both use left ctr and left shift to control left flipper, while right shift and right control move right flipper. I find right control and left shift working fine, while left control was missing, and as you noted, right shift moves both flippers.
Looks like more alt than ctrl according to the documentation:
Code:
Right SHIFT/ALT/AMIGA  - flip right flipper cycle lit/unit lights clockwise Left
SHIFT/ALT/AMIGA   - flip left flipper cycle lit/unit lights anti-cloc.
Following latest push in github I just made, now all the key are working well for pinball dream/illusions...

Quote:
How hard would be to make it possible to change what each key on gamepad does? (like button 0 - autofire, button 1 - regualrd fire button, button 2 - space... etc.)

Not so good with C++ (made few projects back at school long time ago), but if I can help with anything, please let me know.

Oh, one more question, is there documentation regarding any key combinations?
Just take an issue which looks important to you... you will always give more energy in this case
I got two improvement from other peoples lately which are nice addition: reset using ctrl+left amiga+right amiga and joystick dead zone... they were quite simple but interesting....
I think there is no key combination in current code...
Old 20 May 2016, 13:36   #47
Anubis
Retro Gamer

So after bit of instructions from Chips and following couple YT videos, I was able to implement this on my RPi and now keyboard works correctly!!

I've tested few more games last night and everything works great.

As I tested WHDLoad, haven't need much to change floppy disks. It would be nice if this combination form WinUAE exists: END+ F1 - F4 - change disks df0 - df3 and if SHIFT+END+F1 - F4 - removes floppy from disk unit.
Old 28 May 2016, 06:03   #48
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Chips,

after someone on youtube asked me to test Xenon2 on RPi, I've tried it, and every time after intro it would error out - and last time I got message that hi-res is not supported by UAE4ARM. Can you test it on your setup with raspbian?

This was using WHDload and ClassicWB Full setup. Will try ADFs bit later tonight.

Thanks!

Last edited by Anubis; 28 May 2016 at 06:08.
Old 28 May 2016, 06:33   #49
ransom1122

Quote:
Chips,

after someone on youtube asked me to test Xenon2 on RPi, I've tried it, and every time after intro it would error out - and last time I got message that hi-res is not supported by UAE4ARM. Can you test it on your setup with raspbian?

This was using WHDload and ClassicWB Full setup. Will try ADFs bit later tonight.

Thanks!
Yeah test Xenon 2 on a Rpi2 overclocked on the retropie menu, with ClassicWB and Whdload version of the game and its slow. Haven't tried the ADF's of the game yet.
Old 28 May 2016, 08:17   #50
Mark36

Quote:
Chips,

Thanks!
Not sure why but the whdload 1 disk version of xenon 2 works fine on uae4arm. I have created a hdf using uae4arm 999mb and boot directly in to Tinylauncher or Xbench. Another game that has the hi-res problem with uae4arm is Super Stardust AGA but you can still play the game if you quickly press fire button on the intro screen which skips it. Batman the movie 1 disk version works as the 2 disk version bombs out too.
Old 01 June 2016, 02:10   #51
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Just to confirm, 1 disk does work even when started from ClassicWB. No other version, including CDTV does work.
Old 01 June 2016, 02:50   #52
ransom1122

Quote:
Just to confirm, 1 disk does work even when started from ClassicWB. No other version, including CDTV does work.
Does it work at normal game speed?
Old 01 June 2016, 15:37   #53
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I did not play lots of Xenon 2, but it appears to work at decent speed. I did test it with RPi3, tho, and I believe you have RPi2. I can test that one tonight, but in my opinion, it should work at full speed.

Make sure your CPU speed is set to 14MHz and processor to 68020 when emulating A1200 and using WHDLoad.
Old 10 August 2016, 03:27   #54
steveh

Anyone tried Amibian yet?

Its very good, and is everything I have waited a long time for.

Last edited by steveh; 10 August 2016 at 03:34.
Old 10 August 2016, 03:34   #55
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Anyone tried Ambian yet?

Its very good, and is everything I have waited a long time for.
Ambien?
Old 10 August 2016, 03:42   #56
steveh

Sorry Amibian

My bad

I did correct the spelling mistake.
Old 10 August 2016, 04:03   #57
ransom1122

Cool I'll have a look.

Looks like it also works on overclocked pie 2's.

How does one get their whdload games and kickstarts into the image?

Last edited by ransom1122; 10 August 2016 at 06:52.
Old 10 August 2016, 08:46   #58
portarinos

You can always boot in Linux and copy all the stuff you need in the respective directories. This is the easiest and most straightforward solution
Old 10 August 2016, 13:12   #59
steveh

Darn it I never thought of doing it that way via linux.

there are already a few folders in root/amiga for kickstarts,floppys

I used Midnight commander to make a DH0,DH1,DH2 Folder in root/amiga, again using MC I copied the kickstarts from a usb stick to the kickstarts folder and the same with WB floppys to the floppys folder.

Due to the pi only having a 1GB of ram its a bit pointless using HDF images.

anyway the linux method suggested by portarinos would be best and quickest.

I got P96 installed and it looks really nice running an 040 and getting 160mips

Last edited by steveh; 10 August 2016 at 14:48.
Old 10 August 2016, 15:02   #60
steveh

Hmm I tried to gain access to the root folder of the sd card where the amiga folder is and I get a warning i do not have permission as I'm not the owner.

Trying to access it via a linux distro, and its been a long time since i used linux.