English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Demos

Old 12 May 2010, 08:39   #1
4mat_
Demoscene musician

Looking for an old Slipstream musicdemo

Hello,

First post on EAB, nice place. I was a scener in 89-92 called 4mat, doing music for Slipstream and then the Anarchy demogroups. I was wondering if anyone had come across a Slipstream musicdemo called 'Chipmusic'? (or a similar title) It was released in mid-1989, coded by Marc and a singlepart. I vaguely remember the design using a lot of red graphics on a black background, and the tunes would have included an Axel F cover, possibly Popcorn, and some other tracks like 'Knighthawk' and 'Autumn' which I've found the modules for.

The main reason I want to find it is it had the first chipmodules I did.
I've had a look through pouet and amigascne but I think as Slipstream weren't so well known in '89 it might be lost forever.

Anyway, thanks in advance. I'm off to read some forum posts here and get nostalgic.

cheers, 4mat
Old 12 May 2010, 09:29   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

This one : http://bitworld.bitfellas.org/demo.php?id=5539 ?
Can't find any 'chipmusic' disk by slipstream. Any other info, like the coder or gfx guy?
Old 12 May 2010, 09:41   #3
4mat_
Demoscene musician

Thanks for the link. It's not that one but probably looked a bit like it. (I remember that logo was used a lot) The coder was Marc (who later became N.O.M.A.D iirc) and he likely did the gfx as well because he did all the art for the cracktros back then. Over the years I've had the occasional look for it but it's probably lost unless there's some demopack with it on. I seem to remember Slipstream were good friends with Excel UK, found some of their demopacks but no joy unfortunately.
Old 12 May 2010, 09:57   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Maybe the module you're looking for is at least preserved. Have a look here : http://amp.dascene.net/detail.php?de...odules&view=10 and good luck
Old 12 May 2010, 10:09   #5
4mat_
Demoscene musician

I've found 'Autumn', 'Knighthawk' and 'Space Journey' so far, will keep looking. Thanks.
Old 12 May 2010, 10:26   #6
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Welcome Mat, was a great admirer of your music for demos and games.
Old 12 May 2010, 10:27   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You're welcome 4mat and welcome to EAB
Old 13 May 2010, 11:00   #8
4mat_
Demoscene musician

Hey Galahad, nice to see you on here.
Old 13 May 2010, 17:44   #9
Crown
Demoscener

Hi 4-Mat,

Nice to see you here.

Well, I'd love to see that musicdisk too. Would you remember the first+last names of Marc/Slipstream? I could try contact him

cheers
Old 13 May 2010, 18:46   #10
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown View Post
Hi 4-Mat,

Nice to see you here.

Well, I'd love to see that musicdisk too. Would you remember the first+last names of Marc/Slipstream? I could try contact him

cheers
You've got ZERO chance of getting hold of Marc.

He was better known as N.O.M.A.D. and is a very private bloke that didn't give out his details to just anyone.
Old 13 May 2010, 18:52   #11
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mat_ View Post
Hey Galahad, nice to see you on here.
Not many people say that about me!

I remember very vividly, a penis by the name of Justin Scharvona of Arc Developments slagging your music off in Grapevine, and I wrote a counter article defending you.

It wouldn't have been so bad, but his music generally was exceptionally shit to listen to, it always mystified me why he bothered to comment in the first place.

You were a big part of the UK and Euro scene Mat, its nice to have you here.

I certainly have more respect for you work, than the stuff I did.

Still listen to Starworx, The Lost Chords, Phantasmagoria and the mod chip tune from the Skid Row cracktro for Lemmings!

Good memories mate.
Old 13 May 2010, 21:47   #12
pmc
gone

Agree with Galahad 4-Mat. Your music rules. Along with stuff by a few other guys, I've walked around humming your tunes to myself long after the demo ended.

Good to have you here.
Old 21 May 2010, 15:03   #13
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc View Post
Good to have you here.
I second that.
Plus, another guy from the real scene unlikely to get into a scener vs. scener fight with Galahad too soon. (we really did have enough of these here, trust me)
Old 21 May 2010, 15:12   #14
deicidal
Registered Insane

Yeh I thought about trying to see if I could find Quarterback/Slipstream on FB to see if he could help, then spent about the next halk hour trying to remember his name before giving up.
Old 22 May 2010, 08:05   #15
Crown
Demoscener

Hi guys,

Galahad: I did not know that Marc was that secretive but as he obviously also was N.O.M.A.D then this can be understandable.

4-MAT: Do you remember who did the GFX of the musicdisk?

Deicidal: I think you're having the right approach, finding old Slipstream members.
Old 22 May 2010, 13:55   #16
4mat_
Demoscene musician

Crown: I'm pretty sure the gfx would have been by Marc as well, this is the real early 1989 edition of Slipstream. My vague memories of it make me think the screen would be mostly text (track listing, scroller) and the old 'Psygnosis'-style Slipstream logo.

deicidal: yeah I know what you mean, haven't seen any of the Slipstream members on the net either. There was a facebook group with old english sceners on (amiga scene reunion 2010) but it hasn't been updated for a while.
Old 13 June 2013, 16:57   #17
DarkStar

Hi,

DarkStar from Slipstream here.

I might just have that disk!

I have three boxes of disks to go through and there should be a load of Slipstream stuff there obviously. I'm sure Andy gave me a load of your modules and stuff as he wanted me to replicate your stuff 4Mat but I never had the skill to do it, causing much shouting at from him back in the day... lol

My A500 lacks a screen so I've ordered one of those adapter kits that sucks the disks from the Amiga to a PC. If there is anythign pertinent then I will repost, but this will be a couple of weeks at least as I've not resurrected anythign yet!

Kind Regards

D.S.

Old 16 June 2013, 16:43   #18
4mat_
Demoscene musician

If you do find anything that'd be great, thanks. I notice Marc's early demos don't seem to be on the net either.
Old 17 June 2013, 02:19   #19
Djay
95th User

Can I just

Gotta say that back-in-the-day demosceners opened my mind to alternative forms of art...

...it's crazy to think that demos are a often missed computer subculture, personally I prefer listening to demo tunes rather than 'proper' music and I often have demos (new and old) running on a screen somewhere in my house!

Old 11 July 2013, 21:18   #20
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
I have three boxes of disks to go through and there should be a load of Slipstream stuff there obviously.
Hi!

Please submit any released stuff that's not visible in the databases at break's or bitworld.

You can do it via me if you don't want to figure out who to contact. And if you don't want to look through the material to see whether something is already there or not, it doesn't matter if you submit them all. We'll go through them in that case. :-)

Thanks!

http://www.arabuusimiehet.com/break/amiga/
http://bitworld.bitfellas.org/demos.php?images=no