English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 16 October 2013, 16:50   #1
Amigaphile

Hello! An old Amigaphile returns...

I've been away in the Linux desert for a few years, and I've gotten tired of its many inconsistencies and user-unfriendlinesses; so now I've gotten my AmigaOne XE/G4 working again, and I'm poring over the various support resources out on the internet.
Right now I'm wrestling with MediaToolBox, trying to figure out which filesystem to use and such exoterica as the maxtransfer and mask values. (What fun!)

Old 16 October 2013, 23:12   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Amigaphile, and welcome back to the Amiga world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigaphile View Post
I've been away in the Linux desert for a few years, and I've gotten tired of its many inconsistencies and user-unfriendlinesses; so now I've gotten my AmigaOne XE/G4 working again, and I'm poring over the various support resources out on the internet.
Here's a good place to start:
http://www.intuitionbase.com/index.php
Unfortunately, the old news archive, which would have given you an interesting read, appears to have been removed, but there's a whole load of OS 4.x and AmigaOne info accessible via the menus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigaphile View Post
Right now I'm wrestling with MediaToolBox, trying to figure out which filesystem to use and such exoterica as the maxtransfer and mask values. (What fun!)
Well really, if you've been wrestling with the many inconsistencies and user-unfriendlinesses of Linux for the lsast few years, then maxtransfer and mask values should be a breeze.
Old 17 October 2013, 03:36   #3
Amigaphile

Thanks for the link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Well really, if you've been wrestling with the many inconsistencies and user-unfriendlinesses of Linux for the lsast few years, then maxtransfer and mask values should be a breeze.
Those are the two things about Amiga filesystem for which I've never found any explanations.

Anyway, I've gotten past that, and AOS4.1 is now on my hard disk. Now I'm wrestling with the network connection wizard. After a couple of attempts, interspersed with bouts of rummaging through DEVS: to remove previous efforts, the none of the interface maintenance tools works. I'm hoping that rebooting will clear whatever is blocking them.
But, progress is happening...