English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 09 March 2013, 18:21   #1
pkersey

Commodore 1084S-DII monitor problems

Greetings from Brazil! I'm new to the board.

I got this 1084S-DII monitor manufactured in Brazil with some problems I think related to horizontal sync, but I'm not well experienced with monitor and TV repairs so I'm seeking for advice before taking any further steps towards getting it fixed.

Fixed some parts already but I still see there are some problems.

When I put my Amiga in PAL mode, there's distortion at the top as you'll notice on the video. Distortions are worse at higher resolutions. Any advice on where I should start looking at? Thanks in advance!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 10 March 2013, 16:10   #2
Shadowfire

What you have there is a classic case of "capacitors in the horizontal deflection circuitry going bad".
At this point, you should go and replace every electrolytic capacitor in the monitor. Look for someone selling "cap kits" for the monitor, it would include every capacitor needed as well as a sheet of paper detailing where each capacitor goes. If you can't find an appropriate cap kit, get a copy of the schematic, open up the unit, mark each electrolytic capacitor with a sharpie on the unit & highlight it on yellow on the schematic, until there are no more unmarked electrolytic capacitors, then purchase them.
Soldering experience is needed to fix the issue.
Old 10 March 2013, 16:52   #3
pkersey

Thank you very much, @Shadowfire! That confirms my suspicions. One bit of info if I may ask: should every 1084S work conversely either as NTSC or PAL, or would that depend really on whether it's manufactured in Europe or USA?
Old 10 March 2013, 16:56   #4
roy bates

ive got one that works in pal or ntsc,obviosly mains end is different 240 volts vs 120 volts.
Old 10 March 2013, 16:59   #5
pkersey

Thanks, @roy bates!
Old 12 March 2013, 03:34   #6
pkersey

Fixed!

Hi all! Fixed the distortion. The monitor is up for about an hour now.

I did the solder work at the LOPT ("flyback") all over again, both in the CRT neck board and the main board. I just didn't spill more solder, but sucked the older one and replaced with new. Then I got solder happy and went all over the neck board re-soldering everything.

Here's the video after the fix:

[ Show youtube player ]

Here's again the video of the now solved problem, just for convenience:

[ Show youtube player ]

There are still some problems:

- the Color and Hue buttons are useless. Checked the pots and they look fine, it's something else.

- for some reason the front controls look like working the other way round, too: for instance, "volume up" goes when winding the pot to the left,
shouldn't it be working counter-clockwise? Or Is it supposed to be like that? It's nothing I did, it was like that when it's got to me.

Last edited by pkersey; 12 March 2013 at 03:53.
Old 12 March 2013, 04:56   #7
roy bates

if your moving your finger on the knob to the left? then thats right,the knob will turn clockwise.
Old 12 March 2013, 12:57   #8
pkersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
if your moving your finger on the knob to the left? then thats right,the knob will turn clockwise.
Weird. The expected behaviour would be, if I want to turn the volume up, I would have to pull the knob right.
Old 12 March 2013, 13:43   #9
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkersey View Post
Weird. The expected behaviour would be, if I want to turn the volume up, I would have to pull the knob right.

if you watch the rotation of the knob,it does.

just think of it as moveing clockwise.