English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 24 May 2017, 23:58   #121
trixster
Guru Meditating

What is the difference between thr normal gl renderer and ref_glnolru? ref_glnolru Is 0.5fps faster on my system than ref_gl. Rather than 8fps with standard libraries I now get 10fps for demo1.dm2 using matthey's libraries.
Old 26 May 2017, 15:52   #122
Cowcat

trixster:

The difference is "ref_gl" removes textures & frees memory from time to time so lags a little, in comparison to "ref_glnolru" that only frees textures when changing levels. Just works OK for 68k versions.
Old 29 August 2017, 22:07   #123
trixster
Guru Meditating

Is it possible to get cd audio playing? I have it selected in the menu but no cd tracks play.
Old 01 September 2017, 13:09   #124
Cowcat

Some chip memory is used to allocate resources for cd, so something is doing (see if on ENV: exist a Quake 2 directory and a couple of vars about cd). Didn't check if really worked on my last beta.

Unfortunately my Frankenstein seemed to die yesterday (BlizzardPPC at least) so I need some time to RCP it if I'm lucky (doesn't look good).

So well, no more "another fucking quake port" for now.
And no, I'm not gonna join the "cult of vampires without floating point arithmetic" -Although kind of like vampires and all that monster stuff-

Fuck it. I'm pissed off.
Old 01 September 2017, 13:24   #125
trixster
Guru Meditating

Ah man, that sucks, I hope you get your machine fixed! Your ports are fabulous by the way, your work is massively appreciated! And I'm sure I speak for many people in saying I hope you can port more stuff to 68k and PPC!
Old 02 September 2017, 04:06   #126
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowcat View Post
Some chip memory is used to allocate resources for cd, so something is doing (see if on ENV: exist a Quake 2 directory and a couple of vars about cd). Didn't check if really worked on my last beta.

Unfortunately my Frankenstein seemed to die yesterday (BlizzardPPC at least) so I need some time to RCP it if I'm lucky (doesn't look good).

So well, no more "another fucking quake port" for now.
And no, I'm not gonna join the "cult of vampires without floating point arithmetic" -Although kind of like vampires and all that monster stuff-

Fuck it. I'm pissed off.
Well I'd be willing to contribute to getting you a replacement machine, for the time being you could temporarily switch to WinUAE for WarpOS development. Maybe we can get you a little higher spec than you had before. Anyone else want to donate hardware? Let us know what you want. Another BlizzPPC? An A4000 with all the bells and whistles?

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 02 September 2017 at 04:35.
Old 02 September 2017, 10:26   #127
trixster
Guru Meditating

I'd definitely donate some cash to get replacement kit.
Old 02 September 2017, 13:03   #128
Cowcat

Thank you guys

Still to figure out what's going on with my miggy. Yesterday it retaliated me by melting in seconds the old handmade 2,5" - 3.5" IDE cable that I was using in conjunction with an IDE splitter for years. Maybe using it solely with only the hard-drive was a bad idea (short-circuit by chance ? ) so pyrotechnics started, smoke, good finger scar from pulling out the cable but meanwhile the miggy started workbench from disk as nothing happend.

So I have to check out about the reliability of the system before taking decisions. In its vanilla state seems to work ok, but never saw IDE little cables melt in seconds
Old 02 September 2017, 15:52   #129
trixster
Guru Meditating

I had an idefix splitter on my A1200 do something similar a couple of years ago. One of the chips on the board fried itself, the ide cable on the second channel burnt too.
Old 07 September 2017, 03:40   #130
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Thank you guys

Still to figure out what's going on with my miggy. Yesterday it retaliated me by melting in seconds the old handmade 2,5" - 3.5" IDE cable that I was using in conjunction with an IDE splitter for years. Maybe using it solely with only the hard-drive was a bad idea (short-circuit by chance ? ) so pyrotechnics started, smoke, good finger scar from pulling out the cable but meanwhile the miggy started workbench from disk as nothing happend.

So I have to check out about the reliability of the system before taking decisions. In its vanilla state seems to work ok, but never saw IDE little cables melt in seconds
Did you make any progress on this?
Old 07 September 2017, 08:53   #131
Cowcat

Quote:
Did you make any progress on this?
Waiting for a meet with another Amiga owner to check my ppc before sending it to "boxes" for a hopefully revival. Forget about melted IDE cables: A pissed off mind leads always to do silly things...
Old 08 September 2017, 01:17   #132
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Waiting for a meet with another Amiga owner to check my ppc before sending it to "boxes" for a hopefully revival. Forget about melted IDE cables: A pissed off mind leads always to do silly things...

Don't know what kind of drives you're using but if you want I can send you a large CF (or two). Lots of developers had a hard drive failure end their Amiga adventures.
Old 08 September 2017, 15:42   #133
Cowcat

Got an IDE 44/40 converter so my HD (classic old Seagate I think) seems to be ok: Can't fully boot from it for obvious reasons, but probably all information is not damaged. Yep 2mg chip + floppy workbench + hd partitions lists can't go a lot further.

Nevertheless I have backups of my last source projects & a couple of brain cells left to deal with ongoing projects/ideas or past ones.

And well, here I use to upload the majority of stuff.
Old 08 September 2017, 16:32   #134
Cowcat

....Inside this old hard drive there's something like a future version of (non finished/non shared)...

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 September 2017, 18:46   #135
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quote:
This works for your blizquake port. You can set ENV:quake1/cd_device and ENV:quake1/cd_unit

but similar does not seem to be the case with quake2. Snoopdos does not seem to show quake2 searching for an ENV variable in the same fashion as blizquake.
Old 22 September 2017, 23:32   #136
trixster
Guru Meditating

One more random question - is it possible to get smooth hand/gun animation? The animation on the pc version is super smooth but the Amiga port seems to be deliberately slowed. I can't seem to find a console command for this.
Old 23 September 2017, 00:51   #137
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
One more random question - is it possible to get smooth hand/gun animation? The animation on the pc version is super smooth but the Amiga port seems to be deliberately slowed. I can't seem to find a console command for this.
How do you mean? I've never noticed this. Like on a grenade throw?
Old 23 September 2017, 00:55   #138
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Got an IDE 44/40 converter so my HD (classic old Seagate I think) seems to be ok: Can't fully boot from it for obvious reasons, but probably all information is not damaged. Yep 2mg chip + floppy workbench + hd partitions lists can't go a lot further.

Nevertheless I have backups of my last source projects & a couple of brain cells left to deal with ongoing projects/ideas or past ones.

And well, here I use to upload the majority of stuff.
Did you get any further with your Franken1200? Or get to test your BPPC?
Old 23 September 2017, 13:34   #139
Cowcat

According to Stachu blizzardppc is toasted, so...

Now getting used to crosscompiling, UAE, etc. Now it's a clumsy & slow process but will see if some new stuff can arise from my experiments.

Maybe a switch to Morphos & apple hardware can put me on the track again given the fact that is the cheapest solution & high compatibility with warpos.

My old 1.4.5 morphos powerup worked ok with BlitzQuake. Quake2 had some issue with sound/stuttering render & GLHexen2 didn't work at the time to start the level. Pretty odd compatibility issues, but couldn't check further. Maybe 15 years later that is no problem.

Pissed off but shit happens.
Old 24 September 2017, 01:04   #140
grelbfarlk

Quote:
According to Stachu blizzardppc is toasted, so...

Now getting used to crosscompiling, UAE, etc. Now it's a clumsy & slow process but will see if some new stuff can arise from my experiments.

Maybe a switch to Morphos & apple hardware can put me on the track again given the fact that is the cheapest solution & high compatibility with warpos.

My old 1.4.5 morphos powerup worked ok with BlitzQuake. Quake2 had some issue with sound/stuttering render & GLHexen2 didn't work at the time to start the level. Pretty odd compatibility issues, but couldn't check further. Maybe 15 years later that is no problem.

Pissed off but shit happens.
Well, if that's what you want to do. I'll start an initiative to get you a replacement BPPC if you'd like to go that route. Or an A4000 with some kind of PPC...