English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 May 2012, 20:58   #1
Leandro Jardim

How to make a Linux/UAE System

Hi, I have seen some packages that boot Linux directly into UAE, and are installed in CDs and USB sticks, and I am thinking to do the same for my USB stick but with my own hard-file. This way I dont need Windows anymore in my HD to play with it (I dont will throw Windows out, it is useful yet).

I dont know if this is a easy thing to do, or if there is any ready-made cd/usb installable distribution to me hack into it (Knoppix?)...

Anybody can say to me how its done, where are the bits and pieces that I would need? There is a guide on the net about how to make it?

I have some experience with Linux from 2000 when I installed it on my computer, and compiled the kernel, but I dont know what has changed since then. Since that time I didnt used it anymore.

For example, at that time, the framebuffer was slow and unstable, and I could not use X-Window with it, but and now? UAE can run on the framebuffer directly or need to be used with an X-Server? What is the best option for size/performance/compatibility?

Is there a simple way to copy the contents of the Knoppix distribution to a USB stick with 4 GB, without the need to burn a dvd of it first?

There are so many questions, I know, but somebody can help me?

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 22 May 2012 at 21:43.
Old 23 May 2012, 10:28   #2
gilgamesh
Linux snob

I've never tried this, but here is what I think should work.

Get a Knoppix CD and boot it.
Use the tool flash-knoppix to install the system on a stick. That system will be persistent (changes will stick).
Boot from the stick.
Install the uae flavor, Kickstarts and games of your choice.
Configure uae config file.
You can put a line "uae &" into the .xinitrc in the standard user's home folder. UAE will be started automatically.

The problem is that fs-uae and plain uae can't be configured with popup dialogs atm. If you want to start it in full screen mode you will need e-uae or p-uae.
Old 23 May 2012, 10:48   #3
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
The problem is that fs-uae and plain uae can't be configured with popup dialogs atm. If you want to start it in full screen mode you will need e-uae or p-uae.
I did not understand what you meant here. I don't know of any problems starting FS-UAE in full screen mode

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 23 May 2012 at 10:56.
Old 23 May 2012, 10:59   #4
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Don't get me wrong, fs-uae is really great.

But you can't do configuration inside the gui atm. (Do you remember my question about this?) Therefore you can't use your PC as an Amiga media center with fs-uae where you can entirely skip the whole Linux stuff and boot directly into the emulator. You still need to edit configuration files. p-uae and e-uae have a mask where you can select Kickstart version and such without ever leaving the program, just like WinUAE.
Old 23 May 2012, 11:12   #5
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, fs-uae is really great.

But you can't do configuration inside the gui atm. (Do you remember my question about this?) Therefore you can't use your PC as an Amiga media center with fs-uae where you can entirely skip the whole Linux stuff and boot directly into the emulator. You still need to edit configuration files. p-uae and e-uae have a mask where you can select Kickstart version and such without ever leaving the program, just like WinUAE.
OK, I understand what you meant know -I thought there was some link with the "popup dialog" sentence and the one about fullscreen. (I.e. you cannot start in fullscreen because...). But anyway, starting also FS-UAE in fullscreen should be unproblematic.

But yes, you are correct about the configuration thing, you would rather have to boot to a launcher if you want to change settings such as Amiga model or kickstart. Of course, there is the new launcher (development version, in progress), and G-FS-UAE. So you could start one of those instead...

If you want to start the Amiga automatically with a default configuration, and still have the possibility to make hardware adjustments, you could start:
Code:
fs-uae
<launcher>
So when you quit FS-UAE, Linux starts the launcher (of your choice), and you can from that one re-configure and start FS-UAE again. Not saying this is the perfect solution, but it would work more or less like opening a popup dialog in (other)UAE and resetting the Amiga.
Old 23 May 2012, 11:20   #6
gilgamesh
Linux snob

I see. Very UNIXish solution.
Old 23 May 2012, 12:20   #7
tero

i would just copy the live system from the amiga forever dvd
mount and unpack 'knoppix' file
change contents to my needs and repack file
mkisofs and done.

i don't remember everything (did this for a knoppix cd) but:
- Mount the compressed KNOPPIX file.
insmod cloop file=home/KNOPPIX
mount -o ro /dev/cloop compressed/
- Copy the knoppix source to your working directory
mkdir source
cp -Rupv compressed/* source/
- Umount the compressed KNOPPIX image
umount /dev/cloop

iirc you need a prog to repack knoppix file, which i can't remember.
maybe someone know better
Old 23 May 2012, 22:31   #8
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Im a windows user and all that sounds a bit um ...different ...So for me i think out of the box for this sort of thing.

But in laymans terms as amiga forever boots to workbench from the DVD drive even without a HDD....Wouldnt it be possible to just copy that to a HDD and boot from that ?

I know many hate Amiga Forever but for a quick easy setup is it possible maybe ?

Or of course download the free Commodore OS and run it from that ...It aint half bad for a freebie !!
Old 23 May 2012, 22:38   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchro View Post
But in laymans terms as amiga forever boots to workbench from the DVD drive even without a HDD....Wouldnt it be possible to just copy that to a HDD and boot from that ?

I know many hate Amiga Forever but for a quick easy setup is it possible maybe ?

Sure, http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=63922

but it's not without its problems.
Old 23 May 2012, 23:11   #10
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

OOOKAY...Not quite as easy as i thought
But possible so i wasnt to far off
Old 24 May 2012, 04:26   #11
clauddio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchro View Post
Im a windows user and all that sounds a bit um ...different ...So for me i think out of the box for this sort of thing.

Or of course download the free Commodore OS and run it from that ...It aint half bad for a freebie !!
can you explain a bit more about the amigaforever dvd that boots into workbench? which version of dvd you have?
runs winuae ? which OS is runing...winxp?
thanks
Old 24 May 2012, 20:42   #12
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi clauddio,

Every version of the AmigaForever CD from version 6.0 up will boot into Workbench (I have tried no earlier version).

They boot Knoppix Light and then load E-UAE (IIRC).

Note that it is not the DVDs which boot; they contain mostly videos.
Old 24 May 2012, 21:03   #13
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Prowlers right....I meant the Amiga forever CD disk of course...Not the DVD's that come with the package....when i tried it i ran from the CD...I did not even have a HDD in the machine at the time so OS is irrelavent from that perspective.....Worth purchasing for what you have in mind
Old 25 May 2012, 01:30   #14
Leandro Jardim

I would love to make a Linux/UAE System, but only if I could make one like a real Amiga 1200. I see AmigaForever, for example, but it not looks like one, its very different really. For example, one with a launcher that mimics the gadtools gadgets and the early setup and with a boot sequence like of 3.0. With a version of UAE exclusively made for running one single model (like a A1200, the most generic) and a simple gui for switching disks, configuring memory and toggling some few options and running with all its glory in fullscreen on X server or directly on the Linux framebuffer.

Ah, and a cool NTSC/PAL screen filter, why not?

But I think that UAE needs a generic linux distribution for anyone that want to try it, and see your PC turn into a Amiga 1200. Well, more or less.

I am not saying I will do it... I really cannot finish even my own programs, what to say about an UAE fork. I am only dreaming...
Old 25 May 2012, 10:33   #15
gilgamesh
Linux snob

You really don't need to fork UAE to do this.
Old 25 May 2012, 21:25   #16
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
You really don't need to fork UAE to do this.
Could YOU make a cd that could be just copied to a HDD thats pretty universal ?

Just in case your reading this wrong its not sarcasam it would be brilliant if you could so we could download the ISO ?

Even i would be interested in having one
Old 25 May 2012, 22:43   #17
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Installing UAE on an existing Linux and configuring is a matter of minutes. Getting it on a Live CD that everybody can use is a different matter. I have neither time nor resources to do this all by myself atm.

But now that you've mentioned it I see an EAB distro in the near future.

It could be based on one of those ultra slick Linux distros like SliTaz or Porteus
  • tiny, about 100MB
  • install to ramdisk, extremely fast and convenient
  • boot in seconds
  • support modern hardware
Old 26 May 2012, 17:27   #18
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

All sounds brilliant and definatly pheasable I wish i was more into linux now cuz i would have a crack at it myself

Windows launchers etc no problem for me...But this as you state this is a different ball game....I suppose the bootable AROS is kind of similar. Hopefully theres someone out there that could give it a go.
My Amiga Tribute II DVD (B) Disk did boot directly to workbench on the old Xbox but i cant even remember how i did that now.

Last edited by synchro; 26 May 2012 at 17:36.
Old 26 May 2012, 19:25   #19
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Maybe we can get a project started.
Old 27 May 2012, 23:06   #20
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

I think its a great idea !! but not being familiar with linux im not sure what i could contribute but if i can i will...