English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 December 2007, 10:39   #1
ST Dragon

2D Shoot Em Up with these specific characteristics?!

2D Shoot Em Up with these specific characteristics?!

I was wondering if there is a 2D Shoot Em Up (Horizontal or Vertical), where you start off with all weapons maxed up and as you progress your primary weapons’ power / ammunition gradually decrease?!
So in this fashion you’re forced to kill off everything fast and complete each level before your primary weapons are completely depleted?!

The closest to this scenario I can think of are 2 Shooters:

Carrier Airwing / U.S. Navy (Arcade/ Mame)
Where your energy bar / fuel tank is gradually decreasing (especially even more if you’re shot)!

Macross 2 (Arcade / Mame).
The levels have a timer pushing you to finish each level and boss fast before it runs out.

I would like to try something different more challenging and more adrenaline oriented than the classic 2D Shmup formula.
It can be on any system, as it’ll do just fine
Old 24 December 2007, 11:47   #2
Photon

You are going to make such a game? Worst idea I've heard in a while. The reward for making progress is getting robbed of energy?

There might be a reason this idea is not in any game, you know.

If you want to make a game with a new idea, innovate in the "satisfaction of just blowing stuff up". If it's a 2D SEU, then you might find it's hard to find new ideas.

If you've made up your mind and would like a penalty, check out X-Out, where the price to upgrade your ship is "paying" for it with a hefty chunk of your score (score=cash).
Old 24 December 2007, 12:18   #3
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
You are going to make such a game? Worst idea I've heard in a while. The reward for making progress is getting robbed of energy?

There might be a reason this idea is not in any game, you know.

If you want to make a game with a new idea, innovate in the "satisfaction of just blowing stuff up". If it's a 2D SEU, then you might find it's hard to find new ideas.

If you've made up your mind and would like a penalty, check out X-Out, where the price to upgrade your ship is "paying" for it with a hefty chunk of your score (score=cash).
I don't know, maybe if its implemented well enough, it could work quite well and its an original take on an old formula

Seen you mention X-Out here too, now THERE'S A SHOOTER !!!!... Love that game!, and it comes close to being my all time Amiga favourite, although a lot sit on par with it, but X-Out has class, it simply oozes it