English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 December 2023, 12:54   #5761
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I just checked: Sigil 2 is now available from the Bethesda launcher.
Old 16 December 2023, 18:17   #5762
Nobby_UK

Just (sorf of) installed 'Fable - The Lost Chapters'

Some files were not detected ---
but were there, so copied across manually

Cab4 was corrupt so one of the files is truncated
IE scriptdialogue2.lut
Old 17 December 2023, 07:16   #5763
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Played just a bit games for RGL:

1. Zookeeper (Arcade)
2. Chronos (ZX Spectrum)
3. Qix (Arcade)

Who said that side scrolling is impossible on Speccy?

Played bit Greedfall (nice RPG, playing on PC) and Horizon Zero Dawn - Forbidden West (PS5)

Also just got 2 new toys - one micro PC that I am planning loading Recalbox on it, and another one is ANBERNIC RG35XX Plus that just was released last month. (looks like gameboy) It came loaded with bunch of games, waiting for Recalbox to release new optimized version.
Old 24 December 2023, 21:17   #5764
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I like (especially at Xmas) watching a film on TV then playing the game, mainly console games under emulation on my phone but my god have you ever tried the Home Alone games. There all pretty terrible
Old 26 December 2023, 11:28   #5765
kremiso

infinite guessing vgames by covers mode, with parents, on gamedle.wtf

the database is not so big, btw really funny when in company

Last edited by kremiso; 26 December 2023 at 11:36.
Old 26 December 2023, 14:07   #5766
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Started God of War yesterday and the opening is a good example of storytelling without exposition. The mechanics work fine (the 'press A to jump' one feels a bit restrictive though) and the setting is great. Will have to see about the 'villain' setup. So far it was a bit trope heavy.
Finished God of War today and it's a really good game. They did left quite a few things 'hanging' for the next part in the series.

Will try out Guardians of the Galaxy next. Looking forward to it
Old 26 December 2023, 16:36   #5767
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Playing and enjoying Zoomania on C64.

Played quite few races with Epic free game - Horizon Chase Turbo. ]

It reminds me of mix between Nintendo's Cruis'n World series and Sega's OutRun.It has that Arcade feeling.
Old 01 January 2024, 15:21   #5768
MrAnthony2021

So to finish off what games I beat since my last post I'm going to group them by platform and talk about each one
Arcade
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles -Had never played the original Arcade game and both this was fun. Not the largest TMNT fan out there but man what a blast to play. Beat on 11/25/2023
1000 Miglia: Great 1000 Miles Rally - Picked at random to fill my 1 Arcade game a week for last year. Surprisingly I enjoyed this one. I'm not super use to isometric racing games but this was a fun to one play. Beat on 12/2/2023
Real Bout Fatal Fury - While I had played the original Fatal Fury games before this was one that I had never played for some reason. Its a good game and one that I happy I got play and beat. Beat on 12/9/2023.
R-Type - Its R-Type what more is there to say. Hard but a good time. Beat on 12/16/2023
Cosmic Cop - Part of the R-Type franchise so what more is there to say. Banger of a game and hard as well. Probably on of my favorites I played this year. Beat on 12/23/2023
Alien Challenge - This was a game and my lowest rated Arcade game I beat this year. I know this was IGS's first fighting game but I did not like it at all. Beat on 12/30/2023.

SNES
Chester Cheetah- Too Cool to Fool - Something I picked at random one night to play to completion. Not a terrible platformer at all and I did enjoy it but it was nothing special. Beat on 12/10/2023.
The Combatribes - I saw that it was a Technos game and I generally like their games but this was one that I didn't like. The enemies felt like tanks for taking damage and the bosses were cheap AF. Not something I'm going to play again. Beat on 12/22/2023
Hook - I needed something to play on Christmas so I didn't have to be around my family and this game just happened to be it. Not an amazing platformer but it was fine and did what I needed it to be. Beat on 12/25/2023

NES
Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - Just picked it at random and it wasn't too hard of a game. I quite liked it and hope to play and eat its sequel this year. Beat on 12/23/2023.

PS1
R-Type Delta - I needed something to do on Christmas Eve and this was what I choose to play. Never played it before and it took me a few tries to beat it. This was awesome to play everything about it was great and I'm so glad now that I beat it. Beat on 12/24/2023.

Genesis
Grand Stormer - Needed another game to beat on Christmas on this was what I choose. This was a hard one as I'm not wholly used to bullet hell games and took me a few tries to get there but yea absolutely worth it to play. I don't think I ever played the Arcade version of the game but I might have to change that this year. Beat on 12/25/2023.

Gameboy
The Castemania Adventure - I decided I wanted to end 2023 by beating just one more game to give me a nice even number of games beat and this was it. I like Castlemania and I had only ever played Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge before on the Gameboy but not the first one. My thoughts? Not a bad game but the movement was a little too slow for my taste. Probably try to beat Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge this year. Beat on 12/31/2023.

So that brings to 94 games I beat last year. My goals for this year are going to be different as while I am glad I did meet my goal of beating 1 arcade game a week for last year I don't want to do that again. So this for this year I have three goals.

1. I want to beat at least 2 games a month. The first two games I beat cannot be from the same console but any games I beat after that each month can be from the same console.
2. I want to beat at least 1 game from every system that I own so I am looking at a minimum of 29 games to beat. This is one I struggled a bit on what to consider. I have a Sega Genesis but I don't have a Sega CD but I own a flashcart that lets me play Sega CD Games on them, same with the Atari Jaguar. I decided that since I don't actually own the attachments they will not be included. I am also not including mini consoles (The C64 and the A500 Mini) as I don't own a real C64 or Amiga computer.
3. Beat at least 5 long games. A long game is anything that takes over 10+ hours to beat so something like an RPG for example.
Old 02 January 2024, 09:57   #5769
kremiso

completed Dead Cells for the first time, just the Castlevania path (Dracula final form)
Old 02 January 2024, 10:30   #5770
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Will try out Guardians of the Galaxy next. Looking forward to it
Played it during the last days and it's a very interesting game. As you would expect you visit a lot of different locations and the cast of 'supporting' characters is fascinating. Already planning to playing it a second time which is quite rare for me.
Old 06 January 2024, 16:05   #5771
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Finished Guardians of the Galaxy today and damn, it's a good game. Make sure you grab it for free from the Epic Games Store.
Old 06 January 2024, 16:32   #5772
Gzegzolka

Castlevania Symphony of the Night on SSF, Saturn version with latest translation and other enchantments.
Old 06 January 2024, 21:28   #5773
Nobby_UK

Had a go of 'Castlevania Lords Of Shadow' (Xbox 360)
but the demo failed me coz I didn't do exactly as told.

I keep buying 360 games (they cheap)(I have 60+).

But still have trouble with the controls.
Old 08 January 2024, 14:06   #5774
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Finished Far Cry 3, sadly before I finished FC2. (still somewhere ~60% on that one)

Last night played Arcadia for a first time (RGL - nice vertical shooter)
Old 13 January 2024, 13:57   #5775
MrAnthony2021

So on new years day I beat TMNT 2: The Arcade Game on NES and I thought it was a good port of the Arcade game for NES. On Jan 5 I beat Tiny Toon Adventures: Babs' Big Break for the GB. I had only ever played the first Tiny Toon Adventures game on NES so this was one that I wasn't familiar with and and it was pretty fun game. Wish it has just been tad longer but still overall pretty solid.

On Jan 7 I beat Final Fantasy VI(or FF3 for us in West) on SNES. I've have been playing this little by little since December and really what is there to say, its a fantastic game and one of the best games on the console. I've only beaten two FF games this one and IV(II) so I can't say its the best yet I've only beaten two but its easily one of the best games I have ever played and up there as one of my favorites of all time.
Old 13 January 2024, 14:33   #5776
lesta_smsc

@MrAnthony2021 how are you completing all these games so quickly! Are you playing and using save states?

I still haven't completed new Return to Monkey Island
Old 14 January 2024, 19:37   #5777
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Not sure about him, but I did something similar with save states, finishing couple of games each week. NES and SMS games are usuallyu 30min-2 hour to finish, SNES and MegaDrive/Genesis games are a bit longer. Arcade games you can finish 2 different ways, with save states and/or unlimited coins.

Sometimes I watch Arcathlon (Arcus' marathon) and just find the game that I like to do after watching him speed run it. (he does the same games over and over )

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1644919549
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/2004579748
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1997825253
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/2005290911
Old 14 January 2024, 20:55   #5778
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby_UK View Post
Had a go of 'Castlevania Lords Of Shadow' (Xbox 360)
but the demo failed me coz I didn't do exactly as told.

I keep buying 360 games (they cheap)(I have 60+).

But still have trouble with the controls.
a big disappoint for me that game
very distant from the serie

figure i liked more the N64 chapter

---
here im playing some old c64 stuff on the Amiga
emulators

also completed again Dead Cells, different path and final boss, increased difficulty (2)
Old 14 January 2024, 22:51   #5779
MrAnthony2021

@lesta_smsc yea I do use save states but its not with everything I play. I mostly just use save states for longer games that I play with emulators. Its a combo of being unemployed and having some days like I did with FF6(3) where I would put in time when I wasn't studying or looking for work. Right now I am just trying to limit myself to gaming on Friday-Sunday after I am done studying for the day.

Not working has given me more time to play games but I was always putting in the time to learn new skills for jobs and looking for jobs.
Old 15 January 2024, 08:07   #5780
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Started playing the Resident Evil 4 remake on Saturday. I only briefly started the original release on PC a few years ago, so I'm pretty much playing it 'blind' and it's really interesting how it differs from the earlier parts. The graphics look even more impressive than the RE 2 & 3 remakes due to the setting. So far it's both creepy and fun to play.