English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 June 2012, 15:42   #41
rampartsagain

yes but what solder flux are you using liquid ,paste i send some f132 solder flux from ebay and sucks sticks the iron on every component,i think with very calm and non more than 5 seconds retouch the chips near the part you bended.
it could be a cuted trace near the mouse responsable chip make the test with multimeter
Old 03 June 2012, 16:25   #42
protek
Amiga hobbyist

It's liquid flux in a pen.

I've tested the traces between the mouse port and Paula, while the board hasn't been bent and they tested ok. I'll look into what could be the possible components in area that get the mos stress, when I lift the corner. The Paula has been changed and checked by two persons so I'm going to give that the benefit of the doubt.
Old 03 June 2012, 16:31   #43
rampartsagain

oh i use liquid flux pen from ebay that cheap ones were very good although ended fast,those bad continuity traces can leave us crazy but when you find the right one is a relieve
Old 04 June 2012, 00:22   #44
protek
Amiga hobbyist

I connected my logic probe and found out that Paula registers the RMB click even though nothing happens on the screen. I suppose that's the final confirmation that the connection between the mouse port and Paula is ok.

I retouched some of the resistors and these tiny capacitors left and front of Paula but that didn't really have an effect. I noticed one trace that was scratched and exposed but it was one coming from the expansion port.

Don't really know, if I'm going to have to retouch all possible dabs of solder on the board nor do I know, if that's going to help anyway. Can't really make out any fractures.
Old 12 June 2012, 23:55   #45
protek
Amiga hobbyist

I did some chip pressing the other day. If I press Paula, nothing happens. But if I press either the odd CIA or the small 74xxxx chip then the right mouse button works. The thing is that I've resoldered both and I have to press really hard so that the mobo bends slightly to make anything happen. Therefore I think the solder joints of the chips aren't the problem.

One thing worth noticing. The early boot menu appears with only pressing the left mouse button instead of both. That and pressing of the motherboard from the top would indicate a short on the bottom rather than a broken trace on the top. I've reckoned that Paula only interprets the signal from POT0Y and based on the signal either interprets it as potentiometer resistance or right mose button and acts accordingly. Based on this, the short would be after Paula rather than between the mouse port and Paula.

What do you think?
Old 13 June 2012, 05:43   #46
rampartsagain

i think if you haven´t gave with the hammer on it yet you should check lines with continuity test has to be one of those chips find it scrap the cutted line and solder the cuted point and voilá
Old 08 August 2012, 23:34   #47
protek
Amiga hobbyist

Thought I'd test the RMB from the keyboard. The menus appear, when I press Amiga + Right-Alt even though they don't appear, when I press the right mouse button. What does that tell me?

Also, if the button is pressed, would there be something going on on one of the interrupt lines IPL0 to 2?

Last edited by protek; 08 August 2012 at 23:49.
Old 18 March 2013, 14:41   #48
Spirantho

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but it might be useful.
I've just repaired an Amiga 4000 for someone who had the same problem (RMB always pressed, so early start-up appears with just LMB, and Workbench not reading RMB at all).
The fault was a capacitor, but not one of the usual suspects - it was C412, a 0.047uF polyester(?) capacitor. It was discoloured on one end where it had leaked or something. Once I'd replaced that, the 4000 worked perfectly again.

On the 600 it'd be in the same place, between GND and POT_0Y (pin 36) of Paula. On my machine it had a resistance of just 80Ohms, so the line was held low permanently.

Hope that helps someone with similar problems!
Old 18 March 2013, 14:57   #49
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirantho View Post
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but it might be useful.
I've just repaired an Amiga 4000 for someone who had the same problem (RMB always pressed, so early start-up appears with just LMB, and Workbench not reading RMB at all).
The fault was a capacitor, but not one of the usual suspects - it was C412, a 0.047uF polyester(?) capacitor. It was discoloured on one end where it had leaked or something. Once I'd replaced that, the 4000 worked perfectly again.

On the 600 it'd be in the same place, between GND and POT_0Y (pin 36) of Paula. On my machine it had a resistance of just 80Ohms, so the line was held low permanently.

Hope that helps someone with similar problems!
Rare indeed, good spot.