English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 15 September 2015, 19:03   #1
Zak
Zap´em

Do you miss having only one computer?

I remember those days when I had only one computer and that was sufficient for everything. I had an A500, which I wrote letters with, were gaming, programming and doing everything necessary or unnecessary.

My parents owned a Sinclair and a PC, that I got in touch with from time to time, but in my room, there was only the Amiga.

Today I got plenty computers and have only little space in my loft, a real problem.

There was a time when my main computer was an A4000T and I was going online with it, but quickly learned that that´s not a good idea, and I still needed an A500 for the old games. And then a PC was necessary for online and since Windows 8 does not run any old games, yet I got 2 PC´s. And that´s the way that things develop. A CD32, to not miss those games, the old Sinclair, an A1200 and now you can imagine my space problems.
Old 15 September 2015, 20:17   #2
BippyM

I have a main PC, a laptop, and vrious mobile devices (Ipad, Galaxy Tab S, Kids tablet, Phones etc).

'Id have an Amiga if I had the space.
Old 15 September 2015, 20:30   #3
onkelarie

Maybe a silly comment, but have you considered winUAE for your old game fix and gaining more deskspace? or the trade off of losing real hardware is too harsh...
Old 15 September 2015, 20:37   #4
Zak
Zap´em

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkelarie View Post
Maybe a silly comment, but have you considered winUAE for your old game fix and gaining more deskspace? or the trade off of losing real hardware is too harsh...
I think about selling. But all the memories! And I wouldn´t get much money since the condition of my hardware is not best. And will there be WinUAE forever? For all future Windows´es to come?
Old 15 September 2015, 20:39   #5
onkelarie

Very understandable indeed. As for winuae (and euae, fs uae etc), that's more likely to stay than the hardware still being around in the longrun
Old 15 September 2015, 23:09   #6
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

but i still have only one computer!

oh no wait, there are 5 in this room.

but 3 of them are Amigas.
Old 16 September 2015, 00:31   #7
majsta
www.majsta.com

Talking about how much computers we have now
Back in the days I had only C64.
Now: Main PC, 3 more working in a garage as a servers, one laptop, 2 more PC who works only on some emergency. One G3 MAC, C64, C16, C116, about 20 amiga 600 (mostly non working), one A1200, two A500, two A4000. Am I addicted probably yes, do I need more computers yes, Do I have any more free space NO.
Old 16 September 2015, 00:34   #8
-Acid-

Can't make my mind up, I love having every system under the sun that I want (well almost), but then it's hard to chose what to play with so I end up devoting no time to any of them really. Same with games, must be 700 games behind me I really want to play but I can never decide what to play or stick with one game for any time as I know there's hundreds more to play in the room. As a result I never get to love a game the way I did back in the 90's when you got a game you played it to death and knew everything about it as you usually only had a handful of games for a system.
Old 16 September 2015, 00:46   #9
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

tbh if it weren't for business i would probably only have my main PC and my A1200, the other PC in this room is our server, there are various laptops and tablets but they belong to Alex, i don't really like laptops or tablets myself, don't even have a smart phone.
Old 16 September 2015, 00:51   #10
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Yes. I think I was most happy when my breadbin was the only computer at our flat. Maybe in the whole house. Later when Amiga came, I became addicted and I am not sure if happier than before, because computers started finally to rip me off the daily reality. I also think it was responsible for the fact that I got my first girlfriend relatively late.

On the other hand: would I change it if I could? Not. Would I return it? Definetelly!
Old 16 September 2015, 01:07   #11
zardoz
Zone Friend

Mrs Z and I sit down of an evening, we've got a laptop each, a media centre PC hooked up to the TV and stereo, if we're in the dining room there's another media PC and and a pi. You have to go as far as the kitchen before having to get the phone out to check one's facebook feed.

10 years ago, there was a single PC in the house. I'm sure we used to talk more...
Old 16 September 2015, 10:00   #12
Jope
-

I miss having only one computer very much. Life is complicated when you own stuff.
Old 16 September 2015, 11:25   #13
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Definitely. I'm not using my Amiga as much as I did as I have to use my PeeCee for other stuff and it doesn't get the time it deserves

Now if only I could do all my browsing and stuff on my Amiga...
Old 16 September 2015, 13:50   #14
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Late George Carlin used to talk about stuff we own...

[ Show youtube player ]

In office I have only 1 connected PC and laptop I use, not counting Lenovo Yoga Pad, iPad or any other 'little' device.

In storage all consoles, Amiga, ~5 PCs (one of them Dell server), and lots of other stuff.
Old 16 September 2015, 21:24   #15
musojon74

This is definitely an issue. More stuff makes you less happy sometimes. But it's hard not to collect.
Old 16 September 2015, 21:25   #16
musojon74

And I just bought a 1950 power edge! Still that's to learn esxi so at least that may help with getting paid more...
Old 17 September 2015, 00:22   #17
DisposableHero

I only use one PC regularly (although I also have a phone, tablet, PS3 and YouView box, which are all essentially computers inside and all online-capable), plus an old PC and two old phones gathering dust. My old Amigas are in my mum's loft, hopefully still working. Agreed that emulation is a good compromise - could probably have over 100 systems in one that way, and all configurations too - simple to switch from a souped-up A4000 to a 1.3 A500 for maximum compatibility. I'd love to have my Amiga stuff with me and get a full collection, but there's not space in a one-bedroom flat.
Old 17 September 2015, 19:27   #18
UberFreak

I dont miss it at all!

Since I started earning my own money & got my own place, I've been buying every computer & console I saw as a kid and never had.
My apartment is full of computers, consoles and other retro electronics and I'm 100% fine with that, since I love it.

I never understand all the complaints about not having space for a computer.
If you want it badly enough, you'll make space for it
Old 17 September 2015, 20:58   #19
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

Did have a splurge a few years ago collecting Amiga's but eventually sold them due to lack of use

Only have the one computer now and I'm happy
Old 18 September 2015, 01:57   #20
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Most of my life was spent with just ONE computer. First it was the ZX Spectrum, then the Amiga 500 and then an i80486 PC. During the first years (1985 to roughly 1993) my father had an i8088 PC in his study that I was not allowed to touch. It had cost more than 5000€ (one million Escudos, the portuguese currency at the time), without accounting for inflation. It was his working computer. So technically we had two computers in our home but only one really counted to me. And since it was a 4 colour CGA with a 13" monitor, once I got the Amiga (in 1989) needless to say that I never cared about that overpriced, underpowered heap ever again. I still have some fond memories of it, though, since it was my first 16bit experience (played in it games like Prince of Persia, Maniac Mansion, Ironman's Super Off-Road, Alley Cat, Tetris, etc).

The ZX Spectrum was given to me and my brother by my father as a means to keep us away from his PC (which was the first computer in our household and since we were very young, I must have been 6 or so, and my brother is 2 years younger, we were very curious about it). The Spectrum was a big success in Portugal and virtually every schoolmate had one as well. We exchanged games and gather at each others' houses and all that, it was cool. I had lots of fun with it, had a couple of games that I really liked, but after seeing the CGA games and especially the tedious loading times, the Spectrum, somehow, never really "marked" me, if you know what I mean.

This special place in my heart was destined to my next computer, the Amiga. I had grown discontent with the Spectrum for some time. Programming music in BASIC was becoming too little and the games felt lacking. I wanted a "real" computer. I used to buy magazines at the time (ACE, MicroMania, etc) and was already aware of the 16bit revolution so in the autumn of 1989, my dad bought me my first Amiga (in a store called "Electrofontinha", in Amora, Portugal) and once I got home and hooked it up, that was it... I was forever and irredeemably in love.

I was a fierce amigan since then (I had actually been one before that, because of what I read about in the aforementioned magazines) and I stood by Commodore all the way up until its demise and even after it. In 1989 the Amiga was a revolution. My pals still had their Spectrums and their mindset was still pretty much on the 8bit universe. When they saw my Amiga and its games, they were left starstruck! I was a sort of a mini superstar at school for a while just because of my Amiga, LOL. Come 1993 and things had changed. Though I was able to influence a few to come to the Amiga side of the force, most of my mates had migrated from the humble Spectrum to the PC (the lucky ones had i80386 with VGA cards, which were a match for the Amiga) and Commodore folded a year later... I had never bought the A1200 because I honestly thought that "the jump wasn't that hight" (meaning: I didn't think that the difference from the A500 wasn't meaningful enough to justify the purchase) and, in 1995, I surrendered myself to the harsh reality and bought a PC. Forked a couple of bucks and built myself a custom-made i80486@66MHz with a VESA SVGA and 120MB Harddisk with MS-DOS 7.1 (later Windows 95 and, then, Windows 98).

Geez! Look at all that! Way too many words up there, right? There are still a few other details left to tell, but long story short: I now own 8 computers (including 2 Amigas), 9 consoles and a few other gadgets (smartphones, etc). Never again was I ever in-love like I was with the Amiga (the original PlayStation and the GameBoy Advance almost did it). Now-a-days I regard PCs as a necessity with which we work, play some games and also use emulators, but there's no passion anymore...

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by PortuguesePilot; 18 September 2015 at 02:03.