English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 January 2019, 17:48   #1
jurassicman

FastATA along with Indivision MK2cr and Mediator

Hello guys,
I've been told by the always kind and fast Elbox Support that, in order to use a FastATA on my BlackBox1200 with an Indivision MK2cr (with ratte switch monitor) and a Mediator PCI TX Black I have to use this ROM risers and this Mediator riser kit.
While I perfectly understand the use of the ROM risers, needed to avoid contact between the FastATA and the Indivision AGA MK2cr, I don't understand how it is possible to lift the Mediator without having problems with the PCI cards.
If the Mediator is lifted about 1.1 cm I think that the PCI cards won't be at the same height of the slots in the rear panel, will they?
If someone already tried this configuration, could they, please, confirm that it works well?
Old 15 January 2019, 19:39   #2
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

I believe the idea is that you screw spacers in where the card retaining screws would normally go to raise that fixing the correct amount also.

It's an awful solution, imo, I've been playing with a board to relocate the KS sockets out from under the Mediator, but having little success with it.
Old 15 January 2019, 20:27   #3
jurassicman

Yes it doesn't sound like a neat solution... I think that a board to relocate the KS socket would be much better but is it so difficult to do? And nobody else has my issue?
I've tried to fit everything under the Mediator lifting a bit the FastATA with some risers but all cards were very close and I couldn't leave them that way...
Old 15 January 2019, 22:02   #4
Daedalus

The FastATA is *extremely* sensitive as it is, with signals so marginal that sometimes even in the normal Kickstart sockets they don't behave well, needing a socket replacement to get good enough contact to be reliable. A Kickstart relocator board just adds an extra contact into all of those signal paths, as well as extra traces for picking up noise and reducing the supply voltage. It's something I'd love to have more free time to work on, but as it stands, it's just not reliable.
Old 15 January 2019, 23:33   #5
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Yes to clarify, by "I've been playing with a board" I mean Daedalus has pretty much designed and built a board, and I've tried it in my 1200

No joy so far, so I've gone back to the on-board IDE with IDEFix, maxing out at 2.5Mb/s sadly.

Ideally, I would love to find an IDEFix Express - sidestep this altogether!
Old 15 January 2019, 23:38   #6
wiz12

It is possible to combine everything together but not easy. Coincidentally, today I just finished the hardware side of it but now need to find time to test everything.

It involves hardware modifications though and is not for the faint of heart. The kickstart socket needs to be replaced with a wire wrap (long pin) socket cut at an angle so the FastATA can sit above the Indivision AGA. Details are on this thread.

The FastATA will then sit on these new sockets but itself needs to be hacked. The IDE headers need to be removed as they are too high and touch the bottom of the Mediator. IDE ribbon cables for the Hard Drive and CD Drive then need to be soldered directly into the FastATA header ports.

The Mediator should then sit nicely above everything giving enough clearance for PCI cards to fit in the case. I'll try post some pictures when I get a chance.
Old 16 January 2019, 20:13   #7
jurassicman

Thanks guys for your replies... it is quite sad that it is so difficult to setup together those components.
What about this riser?
I really don't understand how it is supposed to work. Would it be useful with Fastata, Indivision and Mediator?
Old 16 January 2019, 20:29   #8
Syntrax

There is a video of a person on youtube that puts a FastATA 1200 inside an amiga 1200. His drive without fast ATA has a throughput of 1.5Mb/s. With the fastATA is about 6.5 Mb/s. The place where he expected an performance increase (WB), however didn't get significantly faster. I read the Elbox specifications and it more or less suggests that you get a great speed improvement when copying data from IDE to IDE. I am not really sure if the amiga motherboard can handle throughputs of 6.5 MB/s from disk to ram.

The conclusion of the men in the youtube video: not worth the money. Given the problems you get with fitting in the board on rom risers, using clockport risers for the clockport you can reconsider the fast ATA board.

Old 17 January 2019, 23:13   #9
fgh

User Yulquen74 made a new FastATA PCB with better tracks that fit with the indivision.
You need to move everything over from your FastATA though, so not a job for everyone
He has plenty of PCB’s left..
Old 17 January 2019, 23:39   #10
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Interesting! Is there a thread where he shows this?
Old 17 January 2019, 23:42   #11
fgh

No, I don’t think so.
I can make a photo of mine on saturday.
Didn’t populate the PCB yet, though..
Old 17 January 2019, 23:52   #12
jurassicman

@fgh
That's very interesting, mate!
Please, post a picture of that pcb as soon as you have some spare time. I still have a FastATA that doesn't work anymore due to some issue on the pcb and I could ask a technician to move the chips on the other pcb...
Old 20 January 2019, 23:14   #13
fgh

Here is the PCB.
It’s a four layer board and should be a bit more stable than the original. (plus fit with indivision)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E032D3C8-03FB-42C6-B094-4AC6A430A9AD.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	996.1 KB
ID:	61684  

Last edited by fgh; 20 January 2019 at 23:21.
Old 20 January 2019, 23:31   #14
jurassicman

Thanks fgh! This looks very interesting!
Old 20 January 2019, 23:33   #15
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

That looks ace, did you say he had more PCBs ?
Old 21 January 2019, 12:40   #16
lord of time
Banned

how about some nice fpga replacements for those original chips? maybe a new fpga based fast ATA board?
Old 21 January 2019, 12:41   #17
fgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord of time View Post
how about some nice fpga replacements for those original chips? maybe a new fpga based fast ATA board?
Go for it, you can do it!
Old 21 January 2019, 12:50   #18
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgh View Post
User Yulquen74 made a new FastATA PCB with better tracks that fit with the indivision.
You need to move everything over from your FastATA though, so not a job for everyone
He has plenty of PCB’s left..
Is there a thread where he sells them? Could you provide a link?
Old 21 January 2019, 13:46   #19
fgh

I don’t think he made a thread about it, but I think he has a more pcbs.
I sent him a link to this thread, so he can take it from here if he want to sell them.
Old 21 January 2019, 13:48   #20
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgh View Post
I don’t think he made a thread about it, but I think he has a more pcbs.
I sent him a link to this thread, so he can take it from here if he want to sell them.
Thanks! I have a busted FastATA MK-V PCB and I need to relocate due to Indivision anyway. So this would be a great replacement.