English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 24 February 2002, 11:30   #1
dbar

Question WinUAE and AGA support

Really great emulator... A500 is clearly well emulated.
But, the screen is not as good as with the original one, especially for Hi-Res picture that looks so poor compared to the A500.

I try to run AGA game/Demo but it does not work:
I have the WinUAE 0.8.17r3, 3.1 Kick and I set the AGA chipset ON... What's the matter ?

David.

Old 24 February 2002, 13:48   #2
oldpx

This is the good display settings for me:

-640x480 32 bit Screenmode (640x512 as I tweaked my display driver)
-Correct aspect ratio unchecked
-Line mode double (scanlines, if you like the effect)
-Horizontal and vertical centering on.

As for your non working app, there can be the many reasons, please give details of your configuration and the name of the game/demo you can't run. Even if I can't help, maybe others can.

Old 24 February 2002, 14:38   #3
dbar

Unhappy

Thank you.... it's work with your setting.
But works really slow :-(
The demo is Lobotomia2002 found on www.back2roots.org
I have tried to "boost" the CPU: Faster than possible and also 040 CPU. But this still slower than expected.

Is it due to my PC config ?
- Athlon XP1500
- 256Mb DDR 266MHz
- NVidia Gforce 2 Titanium

David.

Old 24 February 2002, 15:26   #4
oldpx

I don't know the demo but your system is good enough. AGA demos are especially slow sometimes. Playing with your CPU settings you can make it run faster or not depending on the demo. I can't reach back to the roots maybe because of a DNS problem and cannot test it right now. Diferent versions of WinUAE *may* help as well. Check version 8.8.8r9. It's here. It's an old release therefore not supported but a recent version is just released yesterday. Get it from www.winuae.net if you hadn't already.

Old 24 February 2002, 18:13   #5
dbar

Lightbulb

Ok, after some play with setting I have reached a good level of speed and quality even in AGA mode.

This is a great emulator but there is one thing that should be better: the rendering is not as good as with an original Amiga !

Why don't exist an option to oversample the screen and applying a filter in order to smooth pixel and looks like a real Amiga ?
I don't know really how it much cost (MIPS) but new PC graphic card may have an imbedded function to perform such type of operation...

Old 24 February 2002, 18:31   #6
oldpx

Quote:
rendering is not as good as with an original Amiga
The rendering is as good as an Amiga but what you see on a TV or a 1084 monitor is different than what a SVGA monitor displays.

Quote:
Why don't exist an option to oversample the screen and applying a filter in order to smooth pixel and looks like a real Amiga ?
I totally agree, it's a necessity. Many emulators offer various rendering options today, winuae should have some options like bilinear filtering or interpolation but not a lot of people seem to worry about it that much. I believe WinUAE's display is a lot sharp than what we experienced with an Amiga but it's not necessarily preferable.WinFellow, on the other hand has some anti-alias effect in window mode and developers were discussing to remove it on this thread. I hope they don't. It's not perfect but better than blocky pixels