English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 31 January 2019, 16:02   #1
cluttered

Kill a command

In the Shell/CLI hoe do I stop a command that seems to have hung?

Thought it was ctrl+C or ctrl+D but neither do anything.

Mac, fs-uae 2.8.3
Old 31 January 2019, 16:18   #2
PeterK

Not every program reacts on a Break signal.

With PriMan you can use Break, Kill or change the priority. It also closes open windows of a running program on demand.

http://aminet.net/package/util/moni/PriMan20

Why is this question under support.FS-UAE ?

Last edited by PeterK; 31 January 2019 at 16:26.
Old 31 January 2019, 18:08   #3
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Why is this question under support.FS-UAE ?
...no idea, moved
Old 31 January 2019, 18:43   #4
idrougge

There is also a Kill command included with Visage.
Old 01 February 2019, 11:42   #5
cluttered

I put it in fs-uae as that is what I am using and as searches suggested that ctrl+C should work I wasn't sure if it was a problem with fs-uae, the shell, general emulation or bad information.
Apologies.
Old 01 February 2019, 12:52   #6
Syntrax

if you use executive (look in Aminet) you will get a CLI kill command.

Old 01 February 2019, 14:58   #7
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Did not use it for a long time but if I remember correctly :

CTRL+C : Break current process
CTRL+D : Break current script

In c: there is the BREAK command. Use it in conjunction with the STATUS command.

Not sure but remember about a CTRL+E and CTRL+F also (have to verify their meaning). But the three above commands are already a good start .
Old 01 February 2019, 15:05   #8
cluttered

malko - that was my understanding as well, I searched the internet for a solution and they all seemed to say that that was the correct method. I haven't used the real Amiga in decades and only just set up the emulator, fs-uae does look very good.
When I try ctrl+c or ctrl+d then nothing happens. I assume it is a configuration error on my part within fs-uae - which is why I raised the topic in that forum. Maybe some mismatch or conflict with other items on the Mac are at fault.
If it was a general Amiga issue then I suspect I would have found something to that effect in my search.
Old 01 February 2019, 15:08   #9
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Share your FS-UAE config. I can try it on my win32 FS-UAE.
Only let me know what you are doing and what is causing the hung.
Old 01 February 2019, 15:22   #10
cluttered

As far as I know I am just using a bog standard default.

I was trying to create a hard disk. I made an hdf within fs-uae (Mac High Sierra) and only the base A500 can access it to do the format. I was trying to get it working in other variants with no success. So I created a new config, using the default A500 and was trying it in there (I have since got an rdb variant working in the A4000 setup but not the normal single partition one).

It was in the shell of the basic A500 one that I have had hangs. One was in the editor (ED I think), nothing I could do would close it, then I tried ctrl-c in the shell that launched it, still nothing, in the end I had to restart it. There was no close box on either, no option to end them and nothing seemed to work. It's using the UK Workbench 1.32 I think.

(can't get to it at the moment to check these, rdb may be wrong as that's used on VAX so I might be confusing it).

Not sure what else I had issues with, I haven't looked at an Amiga in 20-30 years, mine plus loads of software is up in the attic, I have forgotten everything. I have used dozens of systems in the intervening years, all that have their own issues and as such need to re-learn it!

Sounds like ctrl-c ought to work so I will have a look. I am going to install v3 on the harddisk once I get it working so maybe that will fix it.

Many thanks for your input.
Old 01 February 2019, 16:45   #11
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

OK. As I understand you are trying to partition and format an HDF under WB 1.3
I never managed to do it in a 100% reproducible way under either WinUAE or FS-UAE, even with updated HD tools from aminet.
The easiest is to boot with WB 3.1, partition the HDF (recommend PFS3aio) and then use the ready HDF with WB 1.3.
If you want I have some empty HDF.
Old 01 February 2019, 17:02   #12
cluttered

I managed to make a 1gb multi-partition one (can't remember what it's called, might actually be rdb, the VAX one was RMS so my mind is obviously addled ?? ).

The ONLY way I managed to get the single partition one was in the A500 default with 1.3, then 'format drive dh0: name xyz', even then, out of about 12 times only two worked, they frequently hung at some point and I eventually had to restart. Each pass took a very long time.

If you create a multi-partition, then on the A4000 one I did manage it, first you have to do
'df2:HDTools/HDToolBox uaehf.device' the only option available was change type, it took me a few tries before that became available, first few times everything was unavailable. Once I got past that I did 'define new', (again it took a couple of goes before I got that option enabled), then I did read config from device and saved to device which gave me a 'UDH0:NDOS' on the desktop and then I could initialise it - the format for that one went pretty quickly too - minutes not hours!

Obviously the drive paths on my system are different in other setups, but it did work so I would recommend the multi-partition one if people are having issues, that and a bit of perseverance!
Old 01 February 2019, 23:14   #13
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluttered View Post
[...] The ONLY way I managed to get the single partition one was in the A500 default with 1.3, then 'format drive dh0: name xyz', even then, out of about 12 times only two worked, they frequently hung at some point and I eventually had to restart. Each pass took a very long time. [...]
Two years ago, I have made a lot of tests, and it invariably seemed to me that the NDOS HDF were recognized "by chance" under WB 1.3.

For unknown reasons, most of the times HDInstTools, under WB 1.3, did not see the "unformatted (NDOS)" HDF.
(It happened also with Formatted "second/third" drives that had icons on WB. "First" boot HDF drive is always seen).

I don't know if it's related with HDInstTools, the OS 1.3 or with the device driver (as under WB 3.1 there was no such issue, only 100% success).
All my HDF have the same LUN ID, so maybe this also (even if I remember that I have read on a thread that WinUAE handles this internally).

Once the HDF was correctly prepared with WB 3.1, I never ever had any issue under 1.3 (format, repartition, etc.).
I also played it safe by not exceeding the natural limit of 2GB of WB 1.3 (even if pfs3aio allows to go higher).

By the way, if once you use partition >4GB, on this thread, Toni recommend to perform only a QUICK format (not FULL).
Old 02 February 2019, 15:12   #14
cluttered

That's good to know thanks.

My real Amiga used WB1.3 and I never had a real HD for it, couldn't afford one. I seem to recall original HD's were of the order of 10MB, nowadays I have 3 NAS's each with 8TB and two Drobo's with 12TB each, how times change!!

Maybe HD support in 1.3 was patchy, I don't remember if there were HD's available for the Amiga when I was using it, if there were then they weren't widespread.
Old 02 February 2019, 22:45   #15
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

I had an HD in my real WB 1.3 A2000. If my memory serves me well it was controlled by a Tandem IDE+CD (will have to open the beast that is packed to confirm).
I had to boot with a floppy but the handover was quickly done to the HD. Was already using PFS (and predecessors) at that time. I will not detail all the tuning that this "fellow" supported .