English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 04 July 2006, 00:23   #41
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Tearaway Thomas is too hard because of the idiotic time-frame you're supposed to complete a level. You have to do everything "on Ecstasy."

Agony: it's simply UNFAIR. If you do not lose any life, the game is easy. But once you do, you are usually too weak to defend against that army of enemies/nasties ...
Old 04 July 2006, 01:50   #42
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultron
You're, clearly, a very intelectually gifted person.
And as its a Tuesday, I am going to take that in a good way

*Whoot yay others notice my superioritah!*
Old 24 August 2006, 13:44   #43
twizzle

hi to all gods people

for those that have completed or finished the game ???

here is the link to my gods marathon
and the highscore challenge

can you do better.

www.gods-country.de
Old 28 August 2006, 10:46   #44
Qube

Hey Twizzle, completing the game for the 10th time in one continuous play must have made the enemies rock solid?

I too completed this game from start to finish once, it's the only way to get loads of lives for bonus points etc; otherwise starting at level x from a code resets them.

Q;
Old 28 August 2006, 12:58   #45
blade002
Zone Friend

Yeah i completed the game about 3 times over 15 YEARS AGO!!!.. so i dont like my chances of beating you today ..
Old 28 August 2006, 17:09   #46
twizzle

well i got to the 12th game level4 world 2 got myself stuck trying to drop the chest key over the edge and left a pot behind end of game as you need all 3 pots to get the level 3 world key :-(

score 47553338 lives 173 :-)

better luck next time
Old 28 August 2006, 18:53   #47
Ironclaw
Banned

Here's a longplay incase you guys havn't seen it. A guy has recorded himself doing ALL the secrets while completing the whole game on the run loosing no life.

All secrets is what he said in a anyway... I think:

http://recordedamigagames.ath.cx/mod...dex.php?id=185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultron
Well, just saw it in full!

Oh my lord!

Amazing.

Probably the best recording ever.

Great compression quality, it's a longplay but a speedplay of it, no lifes lost, lots of secret areas, many tricks i didn't know too!

Man, they made some good games back in those days, and this is one of the best, the Bitmaps really excelled on this one.

I'm going to be watching this a lot more than once! More than worth the 200mgs!
Old 28 August 2006, 22:37   #48
twizzle

i watched that video its a must,
and i take my hat of to the chap for not loosing any lives.
i myself have managed to get down to 1 live lost in level4 world 2 (manic)

even knowing the game its still no mean feat.
Old 01 September 2006, 20:53   #49
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by twizzle
i watched that video its a must,
and i take my hat of to the chap for not loosing any lives.
i myself have managed to get down to 1 live lost in level4 world 2 (manic)

even knowing the game its still no mean feat.
Impressive video! No life lost this is really a performance.

However, I noticed 2 small mistakes while completing the game:

- you did not get the gold mask (on the extreme left behind the wall) in the room where the thief brings the mortar to you. In order to do so, you must kill the thief despite the advice (this thief can help). Then you would be stuck, and since the Bros are smart enough to manage that you cannot get stuck, after a little fiddling with the levers and a timeout the wall slides up and you can pickup the mortar AND the gold mask

- why not getting the "increase weapon power" AFTER getting the axes on last level?

Also did you notice that fireballs also destroy blocks, it just takes more hits than the mace. This way you can get the axe or keep the spear in level 4.

You can also get stuck in level 4 world 2: if you keep the bird and you don't have the mace, then the bird shoots to high to break the blocks where the lamp is hidden (top left corner, just before the exit).
Old 01 September 2006, 22:56   #50
twizzle

well today i have to celebrate
after years of playing gods i have finaly got around without loosing a life

24 lives score 2366310
i even got to the second time around to level 4 world 2 before i lost a life
just started my 2nd marathon

game 2 end 46 lives score 5404758

regarding the video he did miss out a few things and done things the wrong way but all said and done he was on a speed run with no lives lost
Old 04 September 2006, 23:07   #51
Legerdemain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal
I still can't complete Turrican 2 without cheats, it's just to frickin hard
Really? Thats a first... although, I do admit that I have heard some people commenting on how difficult the game is before.

I had some trouble getting into the game the first couple of times I played it, but it didn't take long until I managed to beat the game, and today I can't honestly understand how I ever could consider it being even the sligthest tricky. Last time I played it through I had 35 lives left when I managed to beat The Machine. I have even played the game from beginning to end without losing one single life. And, although I do know my platformers... since that was one of my favourite genres when I was younger... I can't say that I am particularly good at them. Chuck Rock 2 I find way much harder than Turrican II... aswell as Superfrog, Zool, Zool 2, Wonderdog, well... pretty much every Amiga platformer there is out there.

Turrican 3 is the hardest one in the series, I think, mainly because of the junkyard bosses which have attack patterns which are quite hard to avoid at times.

The original Turrican which I played seriously for the first time just a couple of months ago I did beat on my first try, and even got some spare lives left when it was all over.
Old 06 September 2006, 12:15   #52
tarr

I've always found turrican games easy. T3 being the most easy one. T2 was a good challenge, but i kept on finishing it on, and on, or years
Old 06 September 2006, 14:11   #53
Npl

Turricans are easy - all of them. The only hard part is making it through the alien levels without loosing attention and lives.
Old 06 September 2006, 16:26   #54
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npl
Turricans are easy - all of them. The only hard part is making it through the alien levels without loosing attention and lives.
Yeah i agree, the Turrican games a "very" easy but they are just so damn compelling that you cant stay away

I will also agree with the Alien levels, I actually think that those were the only levels i didnt end up liking.. they were after a while kinda boring, but the rest of the game for Turrican 1 & 2 was
Old 07 September 2006, 09:44   #55
wakeupbomb
Amiga Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npl
I tried playing Turrican II yesterday, couldn't even do the first level...Instant death at every turn.
Much the same with Gods...death at ever turn. I don't think I ever managed to do the second level.
Sigh.
Back to Speedball II

Last edited by wakeupbomb; 07 September 2006 at 09:50.
Old 07 September 2006, 09:59   #56
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I find Turrican 2 to be quite difficult but I always feel that the game is fair and when I die it is MY fault.

I think the furthest Ive got is the level/stage (2?) where the graphics change to the purple look and the face huggers appear.
Old 07 September 2006, 12:49   #57
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The purple levels ("walker factory" on the soundtrack) come after the flying sequences and are world four if I'm not mistaken. The face huggers only appear in the alien levels though, the purple levels are full of mechanical enemies including one big ass robotic dragon if you take the long path of the first level of that world.

I find the alien levels to be quite playable and fun by the way: the thumping sound and the alien noises make it all very tense That and those horrible tongues that can swallow you in one go!

I would agree that t2 is fair, only the enemies move so damned fast...
Old 07 September 2006, 15:52   #58
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Maybe Im getting my levels mixxed up because years ago I used a trainer to play through most of the levels.

I dont do that anymore and the furthest I got recently was after the flying level.
Old 07 September 2006, 19:11   #59
Npl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeupbomb
I tried playing Turrican II yesterday, couldn't even do the first level...Instant death at every turn.
Much the same with Gods...death at ever turn. I don't think I ever managed to do the second level.
Sigh.
Back to Speedball II
A good joystick/gamepad is quite mandatory, you dont play with WinUAE & Keyboard?
Gods on the other hand quite sucks IMHO, the controls are quite sluggish, and you need to memorize where monsters appear. Otherwise you are pressing up-left, watch a shitting pose, watch a shitting sound, see the guy jumping in slowmotion while beasts spawn and fly/run at you, watch the guy land and then watch him die as even turning around takes time (but hey you get another useless animation to watch). You need to read the previous sentence very slowly to get an idea for the responsivenes of the game. Disgusting, wonder how anyone could like such a game
Old 07 September 2006, 20:00   #60
wakeupbomb
Amiga Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npl
A good joystick/gamepad is quite mandatory, you dont play with WinUAE & Keyboard?
Gods on the other hand quite sucks IMHO, the controls are quite sluggish, and you need to memorize where monsters appear. Otherwise you are pressing up-left, watch a shitting pose, watch a shitting sound, see the guy jumping in slowmotion while beasts spawn and fly/run at you, watch the guy land and then watch him die as even turning around takes time (but hey you get another useless animation to watch). You need to read the previous sentence very slowly to get an idea for the responsivenes of the game. Disgusting, wonder how anyone could like such a game
Nah mate, play it on my A1200 with a Competition Pro. I just struggle with platformers that are that relentless.