Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 October 2018, 15:05   #81
ransom1122

IK+

I play it all the time..
Old 22 October 2018, 19:04   #82
WildW

I like Pipemania.

Another vote for Lemmings too. I've always loved the multiplayer mode, but anyone I've ever played against has always refused to play ever again.
Old 23 October 2018, 10:52   #83
sokolovic

I'd say Worms DC.

It is maybe the only game that I play regularly with non retro gaming fans and they still enjoy the game, like they were playing on a modern machine (some of them don't even realize they are playing on a 25 years old machine, except for the odd keyboard)
Old 23 October 2018, 14:30   #84
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Reunion is similarly, like Dune, very interesting mix of strategy/adventure. They are not similar games, don't get me wrong, but their programmers had courage to experiment and try new approaches with mixing few games genders. They were both highly successful, imho.
I am wondering why you haven't heard of Reunion before. Back in the day it was pretty popular. At least in my country.
Reunion was conceptually very cool and presented really well, but it was already a hard sale back then. Games in which you can make game-breaking mistakes without you even realising it just don't work very well. In Reunion you can make wrong dialogue choices, miss specific timed events or even just be too slow and get overrun without a chance. I had that happen to me while I was already quite far into the game several times and eventually said: enough is enough.

To be honest, the game actually has very little replay value as there is little room to do things in a different order. You have to find the right path to follow, not follow "a" path and make it work. Mine the right planets so you have the right materials, research the right techs, build up armies in the right proportions, train your people in the right moments, be in a sector at the right date... its actually very linear. It becomes slightly more free-form in the second half but it takes such a long time to reach that point.
Old 23 October 2018, 15:15   #85
idrougge

For an Amiga game from the 80s/90s to really stand the test of time, I think it must either have been totally original, or it must have been at the apex of its genre.

This rules out Civilization and Dune II, for instance, since the genre was only at its beginning when they were released and there are so many rough corners. Even discounting the fact that the Amiga version of Civilization is badly programmed and deadly slow even on an A4000, it really pales in comparison to Civilization II made a few years later – it's like comparing the original SimCity to SimCity 2000.

The same could be said of Dune II, whose interface is so clunky in comparison to its direct successor Command & Conquer that it can't be said to have stood the test of time.

On the other hand, genres such as 2D platformers, run'n'gun and even point-and-click adventures could be said to have peaked together with the Amiga, to be totally replaced by other perspectives and genres, so that the Amiga's offerings actually stand a chance to stand out as some of the finest in their genres.
Old 23 October 2018, 19:49   #86
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
The same could be said of Dune II, whose interface is so clunky in comparison to its direct successor Command & Conquer that it can't be said to have stood the test of time.
True enough, having to manually select each unit and not being able to queue builds is pretty awkward.

I still play the Dos version from time to time for nostalgia's sake, but not the Amiga version.
Old 23 October 2018, 20:06   #87
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
[...] not being able to queue builds is pretty awkward.
IIRC, you can't queue builds either in the original C&C.

Also, in Dune II, each building site (construction yards, barracks/W.O.R./factories...) has its own queue (like the -craft games) whereas in C&C/RA you have the "primary" system which limits you to building only one unit of a specific category at a time.
A trade-off, that one can like or dislike.
Old 23 October 2018, 20:11   #88
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Hired guns.

The only aspect that can be improved in this game is to have a variety of enemies per level, not only 2 kinds.
Old 23 October 2018, 20:13   #89
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
I'd say Worms DC.

It is maybe the only game that I play regularly with non retro gaming fans and they still enjoy the game, like they were playing on a modern machine (some of them don't even realize they are playing on a 25 years old machine, except for the odd keyboard)
Your nick is so... balkanish... Just missin' 'Mehmed Pasa' in front of it...

Quote:
True enough, having to manually select each unit and not being able to queue builds is pretty awkward.

I still play the Dos version from time to time for nostalgia's sake, but not the Amiga version.
Hopefully you were using Dune Legacy to play it...

Last edited by Anubis; 23 October 2018 at 20:47.
Old 23 October 2018, 21:06   #90
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
IIRC, you can't queue builds either in the original C&C.
But you can in Red Alert. Never having played the original C&C, I thought it worked the same.
Old 24 October 2018, 16:52   #91
d4rk3lf

Quote:
To be honest, the game actually has very little replay value as there is little room to do things in a different order. You have to find the right path to follow, not follow "a" path and make it work. Mine the right planets so you have the right materials, research the right techs, build up armies in the right proportions, train your people in the right moments, be in a sector at the right date... its actually very linear. It becomes slightly more free-form in the second half but it takes such a long time to reach that point.
While I agree with you at most points, it is still the game that made you (and others) to spend many, many hours, and I guess that is what counts.
As for the ground braking mistakes, you had the save game, so you could load, and do it the right way, and you could also speed up the time within the game.

That first alien contact, where you need to first research translation device, it was one of the most original (and unexpected) moments I saw in the games so far. It just felt really different and awesome.

For me, it was kind of revolutionary (or maybe revolutionary is too strong word), but a great start, and just imagine if they made Reunion 2, with fixes of all stuff you mentioned. It would be a top of the top game.
Old 24 October 2018, 17:47   #92
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
While I agree with you at most points, it is still the game that made you (and others) to spend many, many hours, and I guess that is what counts.
As for the ground braking mistakes, you had the save game, so you could load, and do it the right way, and you could also speed up the time within the game.

That first alien contact, where you need to first research translation device, it was one of the most original (and unexpected) moments I saw in the games so far. It just felt really different and awesome.

For me, it was kind of revolutionary (or maybe revolutionary is too strong word), but a great start, and just imagine if they made Reunion 2, with fixes of all stuff you mentioned. It would be a top of the top game.
Even I agree at some points in this game, I am not so sure it withstood the test of time.

My biggest issue with Reunion is that there is no strategy in any fights, you are only spectator and you only could hope that you have enough strong forces to survive.

I remember trying to defend ally just to figure out even if you don't send any ships, game still follows the same way.

Sure, adding story and few options at the end was nice to discover, but it is not game that I would play times and times again, like I do with Colonization, Civilization, Settlers, Battle Island and History Line. (all great strategy games, imho)
Old 24 October 2018, 18:06   #93
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
The key point is that you can't really know what you did wrong or missed. You can load a save from way earlier, but that is only slightly less bad than starting over.

Regardless of its flaws, it was a cool game. I may never have finished it but I had fun while playing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
like I do with Colonization
Now there's a game that has mechanically stood the test of time. Yo Firaxis, do another one based on the Civ 6 tech, please. And this time leave out the stupid turn limit that was added to the previous attempt to revamp this game.