English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 03 August 2012, 20:49   #1
brolly

Mouse Master Simulation

This was already discussed here a few years back:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=21838

But doesn't seem it got to any results? My problem is basically that I'm running WinUAE on a cabinet through a frontend and want to be able to play 2 player games with joystick (actually keyboard simulating amiga joysticks), but will of course need the mouse to get past some of the cracktros.
Using F12 to go through the GUI and change controls isn't really a solution, because on a cabinet that's not very handy. So somehow simulating the mouse master switching ability would be great.

Toni, your Automatic switching idea was pretty good and I think it would work well, not so much your generic solution because like it was mentioned most arcade cps use keyboard encoders and aren't joysticks so that wouldn't work and this problem is only a big problem for arcades where you don't want or can't use F12.
Did you ever get anywhere with this? Would you consider looking into it? This is one of the features I'd most like to see added to WinUAE.

Or maybe there's even some sort of solution already and I'm just not aware of it.
Old 03 August 2012, 21:21   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Autoswitch isn't going to work because keyboard "joystick" disappears when it is disabled (replaced with normal keyboard keys), there is no way to switch back, there is no activation firebutton anymore..

Easiest workaround is to configure both mouse and keyboard joystick (same Amiga port) using input panel. Both can be active at the same time. (Remember to set gameports panel to "none" first)

GamePorts is basic configuration and it can't support multiple devices in same port at the same time. (It is supposed to be easy use, lets not make it more complex..)

Actually there is even simpler solution (I just tested that this works):

Leave mouse in mouse port (GamePorts panel)
Open Input panel, select configuration#1
Click "Remap"
Push joystick (that simulates key presses) up
Find Joystick Up in input list
Do the same for all directions.
Done. Now both mouse and joystick works in same port.
Old 04 August 2012, 06:29   #3
brolly

You're right Toni, it does seem to work fine. I knew that a solution would probably exist already and I just wasn't seeing it. Sometimes the character goes a bit crazy at the beginning of the game like it's being controlled by the mouse, but after pressing one of the buttons for Player 1 it stops so it seems like a good solution. Thanks for the suggestion, seems there's nothing WinUAE can't do
Old 04 August 2012, 08:28   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Yeah, I noticed those jumps when "switching" to joystick, it will be fixed.

You are right, there are huge amount of all kinds of weird features that no one knows about (and probably half of those I don't even remember anymore..)

Hmm.. Perhaps GamePorts GUI should have some kind of optional way to enable two devices in same port, need to switch between mouse/joystick in mouse port is not _that_ rare.
Old 04 August 2012, 09:01   #5
brolly

Would be nice it those jumps get fixed, but it's no drama you just need to be aware of it when starting to play.

eheh yeah enabling 2 devices on the same port would be just about perfect, but I know you hate to make changes to the GUI so I won't even go there. Of course if you feel like doing it it would be an excellent addition and would make such configuration so much easier and intuitive. But for now your solution works fine.
Old 04 August 2012, 11:29   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.zip should fix mouse jumps, please confirm. (Note that it can still happen if you move both mouse and joystick at the same time)
Old 05 August 2012, 03:01   #7
brolly

yeah works great, thanks for such a quick fix!