English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 December 2008, 23:58   #81
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enverex View Post
I think the main issue came from that Andreas is selling the software where as the Zone and such are for just giving it away.
Well said, mate.
Old 26 February 2009, 20:35   #82
WOC_Admin
Zone Friend

LOL..

I just got a e-mail from this guy asking about the permissions for my site and the contact addresses for them.. Now I know why. I like the way he discribed the legality of my old site (The World of Classics) as "I think not" when all permissions and replies were CLEARLY stated on the site.

Another note about selling CD's that contain FREEWARE from various authors. You will see in a lot of terms and conditions the following "This sofware is free, and thus should not be sold, individually, or as part of a collection". So, if this is the case with some of the software on this CD, then it is a violation of the terms and conditions.
Old 26 February 2009, 20:38   #83
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOC_Admin View Post
LOL..

I just got a e-mail from this guy asking about the permissions for my site and the contact addresses for them.. Now I know why. I like the way he discribed the legality of my old site (The World of Classics) as "I think not" when all permissions and replies were CLEARLY stated on the site.

Another note about selling CD's that contain FREEWARE from various authors. You will see in a lot of terms and conditions the following "This sofware is free, and thus should not be sold, individually, or as part of a collection". So, if this is the case with some of the software on this CD, then it is a violation of the terms and conditions.
That's what i've also tried to explain. But some guys won't hear such words.
Old 26 February 2009, 20:39   #84
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
http://www.apc-tcp.de/support/0066.php

Disk 8690

contains my work and of course he has no permission to sell it. Double standards and a real trouble maker. I'm sorry you too have also had issues. I call for a boycott of everything apc-tcp including Amiga Future. We are better off without this guy.

Last edited by BuZz; 26 February 2009 at 20:48.
Old 26 February 2009, 22:14   #85
Predabot

Man... what an annoying scammer! 0_o

I don't like this guys one bit, and I certainly don't understand how he's been able to make a profit on this?? Why would anyone pay for it in the first place? It's already available for free...
Old 26 February 2009, 22:21   #86
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuZz View Post
http://www.apc-tcp.de/support/0066.php

Disk 8690

contains my work and of course he has no permission to sell it. Double standards and a real trouble maker. I'm sorry you too have also had issues. I call for a boycott of everything apc-tcp including Amiga Future. We are better off without this guy.
Disk 8253 contains my work too (I didn't even bother to check the others), of course sold without my permission. I second everything you just said. Just say no to hypocrites!
Old 26 February 2009, 22:24   #87
J.Tramiel

Quote:
Try telling that to a certain trouble making German company called APC-TCP who seem to think that they alone hold the rights to every single piece of f***ing freeware. Hypocritical tossers.

-edit- LOL @ previous post which went up while I was typing this one - great minds think alike!
Old 26 February 2009, 22:27   #88
skateblind
Village Idiot

I might be wrong, but if you own the game, it is not illegal to download. So if the host owns all the games that he is hosting, then it is legal, if you download a game you don't actually own, then it is illegal.

As for that dude selling the stuff without anyones permission, complain to his ISP and they will do all the hard work for you, maybe...
Old 26 February 2009, 22:31   #89
J.Tramiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateblind View Post
I might be wrong, but if you own the game, it is not illegal to download. So if the host owns all the games that he is hosting, then it is legal, if you download a game you don't actually own, then it is illegal.

As for that dude selling the stuff without anyones permission, complain to his ISP and they will do all the hard work for you, maybe...
Hmm, read ANY copyright disclaimer and it will say words to the effect of 'you cannot make unauthorised copies'.

This means that even if you own the original - you are still NOT allowed to make or download a copy. Any type of copying without permission is illegal unless you have been given specific permission.

That was an urban myth spread by haxx0rz to haze over the illegality of their warez.
Old 23 March 2009, 13:31   #90
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Me no speakee bullshit ... actually I really struggled to follow Andreas' points because English isn't his first language.

Personally I think it was a bit dense to come onto the ENGLISH Amiga Board and then try to hold a fairly detailed legal argument when you cannot communicate effectively.

I can understand someone selling stuff like demos (much as it is distasteful) but if a rights holder (Buzz is one isnt he?) says I object then he should stop and should destroy CDs containing the work.
Old 23 March 2009, 13:46   #91
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
Personally I think it was a bit dense to come onto the ENGLISH Amiga Board and then try to hold a fairly detailed legal argument when you cannot communicate effectively.
That his english is not "perfect" is not his only problem.

Quote:
I can understand someone selling stuff like demos (much as it is distasteful)
Demos shouldn't be sold. Not at all!

Quote:
but if a rights holder (Buzz is one isnt he?) says I object then he should stop and should destroy CDs containing the work.
He wouldn't ever do that. And it's wasted time to discuss with him about these things.
Old 23 March 2009, 14:09   #92
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

Does anyone in general really care? I think it's wrong to profit from other people's work, especially demo/freeware. But someone else said 'it's downloadable for free' so screw paying for it. The internet is a big place and doesn't take much time or effort to locate what you want, legal or otherwise, to download. Don't pay for it, and get over it. No disrespect to BuZz or any other developers either, you should be allowed to profit from your works but today it's just too easy to get things in the wrong fashion.
Old 23 March 2009, 14:15   #93
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWLM View Post
Does anyone in general really care?
I don't, however I absolutely can't stand hypocrites like Andreas M., complaining about people breaking copyright laws and stuff while he is doing exactly the same.
Old 23 March 2009, 14:17   #94
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

@PWLM
I think it's quite the opposite as you say. Someone get's money for selling things that should be for free. So it's not about someone that made the things in the first place making money from them, but people who don't own the things making money of them.
Old 23 March 2009, 14:30   #95
BuZz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWLM View Post
No disrespect to BuZz or any other developers either, you should be allowed to profit from your works but today it's just too easy to get things in the wrong fashion.
I think you have not understood my point. My problem is not specifically with that CD, but with the double standards. Sending out warnings to other websites and then doing the same thing he seems to be trying to "police".
Old 23 March 2009, 14:44   #96
AndreasM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuZz View Post
I think you have not understood my point. My problem is not specifically with that CD, but with the double standards. Sending out warnings to other websites and then doing the same thing he seems to be trying to "police".
its not the same.

CDs with Software (theer are free available) without the permission to make money are allowed in german-law when the price are not to high. and the price 2,- Euro is many under the allowed price on germany.

copies from commerzial products are not allowed.

but say me on which cd are which files from you and i delete it.
Old 23 March 2009, 14:53   #97
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasM View Post
CDs with Software (theer are free available) without the permission to make money are allowed in german-law when the price are not to high. and the price 2,- Euro is many under the allowed price on germany.
You do know that this is utter nonsense, don't you?

Quote:
Scene Archives - 8253-Compilation_Disk.DMS
Your turn, Buzz.
Old 23 March 2009, 14:54   #98
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Quote:
Hallelujah!! He has seen the light ; Can I get a witness??

All you developers had better get in a queue, to reduce his beloved CDs to a pile of rubble.........I think a light has come on in his head, so take up his kind offer.......
Old 23 March 2009, 14:55   #99
BuZz

I don't want you to delete it. I was just hoping (how foolish of me) that you might see some sense, and stop harassing other people who devote and support time to the Amiga, whilst you are trying to make a quick buck.

Also you don't know that all the software is freely available on that CD. You have assumed this. Some of the demos specifically say they should not be sold for money or included on public domain collections at all. Your argument seems to be that that someone copying your software and putting it as a free download is worse than you copying someone else's and charging a small fee for it just because you charge MORE money for your software?? This is nonsense! I consider what you doing worse, as there is profit involved.

Also - Why for example did you email the WoC guy (above) asking questions about permissions for full versions etc. none of the stuff was even apc-tcp.
Old 23 March 2009, 14:59   #100
Sensi
Unregistered User

Delete everyting, its my stuff, I didnt give you permission to sell it. So simple