Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 08 May 2002, 16:40   #1
weasel_ch

Question SWOS on a A1200HD no fast ram

Hi all,

I've just added a Hard Drive to an A1200 and downloaded the files :

swos_jst_hd.lha
jst.lha v4.7

from Aminet to install SWOS 95/96 - original disks.

At the moment when I try to start SWOS it goes to a blank grey screen and if I touch a mouse button - crash !

Is this because I need more memory ?

I've tried to strip the installed WB down to essentials.

Any help would be great
Old 08 May 2002, 20:04   #2
blackcornflake

Welcome to EAB! Nice avatar!

According to SWOSHD.readme, 2mb should be sufficient. The guide suggests setting Tooltypes LOWMEM + HDLOAD.

Give that a whirl.
Old 09 May 2002, 12:15   #3
weasel_ch

Smile

Thanks for the feedback.

Sensi god

I have alreday done that but still no luck.

My other Amigas -

A1200 Blizzard 030 50 + 16 MB
A1200 towered 060 50 + 128 Mb

work fine with an earlier HD install program - I assumed the extra memory helped.

I was wanting to try this version of installing to a HD because I bought a standard A1200 on Ebay to configure as a SENSI machine and give to a mate (It was also part of a bet - which I lost !). His side of the deal was to find the joysticks - which he found in Germany and bought 18 New Pythons . You can see why I'd like to get this machine working off the HD.

We both REALLY enjoy SENSI and NO game we have played on any other machine can quite capture the feeling of SENSI and the emotions involved - from focused tense fighting and scraping a euro-cup win to the utter despair of getting knocked out of an important game and looking at the stats to see you played rings round the opposition. It is the only game that has reduced me to thrashing a joystick Literally taking it out and smashing it against the floor. Only to feel a complete idiot after I calmed down :laugh

I was hoping to get away without buying a memory expansion board and memory.

I'll play around some more.

The WB installed on the HD came from Eyetech in the UK and contains a lot of extras. I had to disable ToolsDaemon etc ... but still have only about 1.6 MB Chip Memory left.
Old 10 May 2002, 03:05   #4
Dalai

lol, SWOS games always get out of hand.

I remember a friend trudging folornly down to the bank to draw out 70 pounds to pay back someone after losing a bet on a game of SWOS.
Old 12 May 2002, 00:55   #5
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Lightbulb LSD version of SWOS

I used to have a plain A1200 without fast mem and there was a cracked version released by LSD which ran on the A1200. There was some unusual thing about it though in that they said it will only work on an internal 2.5 inch HD. When I upgraded to a much larger 3.5 inch HD it no longer worked, so it must have had something to do with the "fake" SCSI stuff they put in the drives or something. If you run it on a 3.5 inch drive the screen starts flashing red and just locks up (from memory).

Anyway it's in the zone, give it a try. The file is lsd_sshd.zip (lha contained inside it complete with NZ BBS ads no doubt!). Try and find the first cracked version of SWOS which I believe this uses.
Old 12 May 2002, 04:44   #6
Amiga1992

I also recommend you getting a WHD version Perhaps it works? Codetapper?
Old 12 May 2002, 05:01   #7
blackcornflake

The WHDLoad Sensi installer I used was written (with assists from others) by Galahad/FLT. Absolutely brilliant. Needs fast memory, though.
Old 13 May 2002, 11:12   #8
weasel_ch

Smile

Thanks Codetapper !!!!

I'll download that and give it a go.

Also just installed Slamtilt onto the ol' Amiga.

Still impressed with the sound (fed through my Dolby Digital/Surround amp and sub setup) and the Smoooooth scrolling. Makes the PS2 which is gathering dust at the moment look a bit over-hyped.

fell victim to the "Oh no ! The birds are waking up and it is getting light outside, time to go to bed" scenario after I started having just "one more go" on one of the slamtilt pinball tables

Thanks to all for the feedback.
Old 13 May 2002, 13:50   #9
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Question

SWOS is great. One thing I've noticed on the cracked versions of SWOS is when you're in the career mode and you select the training option the game displays the team screen showing both teams players and then.... nothing. It just freezes. I wonder if this is a problem with the crack of SWOS or if it's an emulator problem with WinUAE. I think it's a problem with the crack as I remember it not working on my real A1200. Anyone know anything about this strange phenomenen?
Old 21 November 2006, 00:19   #10
Surfrider

Hi,

I've got the same problem trying to install and run SWOS on my plain A1200 (2mb chip only). I've downloaded 3 or 4 different HD installers but all seem to need fast ram except the JST one which goes to the blank grey screen then crashes (as described above)!

Can anyone help me to install SWOS on a plain A1200 HD?!

I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks

Old 21 November 2006, 00:43   #11
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i've never got SWOS to run on HD with only 2 meg chip. neither JST or WHDLoad.... in spite of many attempts.

There is an update planned for the SWOS WHDload installer, maybe that will fix the problem, but you'd have to ask Galahad when the release date on that will likely be!
Old 21 November 2006, 08:46   #12
Surfrider

Thanks for the response - hope he manages to pull it off! My flat mate and me bought an old A1200 recently for some nostalgia SWOS gaming - much better than this new FIFA/Pro Evo rubbish which don't even let you aim the shots properly!

Old 21 January 2012, 15:00   #13
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
I used to have a plain A1200 without fast mem and there was a cracked version released by LSD which ran on the A1200. There was some unusual thing about it though in that they said it will only work on an internal 2.5 inch HD. When I upgraded to a much larger 3.5 inch HD it no longer worked, so it must have had something to do with the "fake" SCSI stuff they put in the drives or something. If you run it on a 3.5 inch drive the screen starts flashing red and just locks up (from memory).

Anyway it's in the zone, give it a try. The file is lsd_sshd.zip (lha contained inside it complete with NZ BBS ads no doubt!). Try and find the first cracked version of SWOS which I believe this uses.
Found this install and then this thread - worked on my A1200 with CF but shame the patch is so picky about what media it runs from otherwise it might work on CD32 also couldnt get it working on Winuae.

Also try:SWOS JST install v1
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=976077#post976077

Last edited by Retro1234; 16 September 2014 at 19:59.