English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 07 June 2003, 16:46   #1
Nintendo

Floppy disk Hugo - English version

Hi,
I think its called Hugo which involved the user to tap in numbers on the number pad to controll his actions, it was all about timeing.

I have the German version but is there anyware I can aquire the English version. Its a 4 disk game.

Thanks

Old 07 June 2003, 20:07   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Oh, the confusion on the Hugo games. I'm glad you brought this up because I've been meaning to ask about this anyhow.

Between what stands in HOL, TOSEC and some of my CD's, I'm perplexed. Any experts on the subject or holders of originals might wanna step in here so that we can iron this one out for good.

According to TOSEC:
Hugo (1996)(Silverrock) 8 disks

HOL lists the date as 1991. I remember having a 6 (or 8) disk version back then, for what that's worth. HOL lists it as 6 disks. I'd be interested in the source of the TOSEC info, as I believe the original entry(s) were very different. Also, I have seen the game on a CD that listed the titles like this:

Hugo - 3 disks
Hugo II - 5 disks
Hugo III - 6 disks

Anyway, so TOSEC also lists:
Hugo - Pa Nye Eventyr (1996)(Silverrock) 6 disks
Hugo - Skaermtrolden (19xx)(Silverrock) 3 disks

The 6 disk 'Pa Nye Eventyr' is listed in HOL as Hugo 2.

I'm sure I could dig deeper and find yet more variations on this mess, but rather than confusing myself any further, I'd like to extend this invitation for someone who already knows the answer(s) to help unravel this perplexing mystery.

EDIT: Language. These games are in Swedish, not German, right?
Old 07 June 2003, 21:52   #3
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Danish.
Old 08 June 2003, 05:00   #4
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

(sigh) I knew it was an ish.

Well, if my evil boss allows me a day off from work on Sunday (and I will be taking my phone off the hook), I will add checking these disks by hand to clear up the mystery myself.

Already I had to bring most of my Amiga CD's to work with me tonight to look for requested files. It makes work a little more interesting. It's either this or surf ebay during slow times.
Old 08 June 2003, 12:50   #5
Drake1009

Original language is danish. Originally appeared on a TV show called Eleva2eren on danish TV friday night where viewers got to phone in and try to play the game to win money. It was an update after the game Oswald had gotten quite worn out on tv and they needed something new.

First they created Skærmtolden Hugo to play on tv. Skærmtrolden Hugo (3 disk version) appeared on PC, Amiga and C64 and was on TV for a good bit of time.

Later when hugo's familiar labyrinth, bridge sequence and select one of 3 doors sequence got old they decided to do an update on the game. This turned into Hugo på nye eventyr (Hugo on new adventures)

This 2nd game in the series had 3 sequences in a game, a level 1, level 2 and selection of 1 of 4 ropes. Level 1 was running through a forest or riding on a railroad track. Level 2 was flying or climbing up the mountain. On tv these levels were randomized so the viewers never knew which level combination they were going to play. On the PC and Amiga release of the game though the sets were released as 2 different games (can't remember which combos there were). Only way to really tell them apart as far as I know is the amount of disks.

These were the last games to make it to the Amiga and on danish tv. There were created more hugo games for the PC-CDrom and I know some german channel once aired a show based around the challenge of playing the game.

I hope that suffices as explanation of the mess which is hugo.
I think I saw german tv show hugo på nye eventyr once while passing a channel so if it exists in german there's a fair chance of an english version. Especially taking into account that it amassed a lot more popularity than Oswald did, and I know Oswald has both an english and danish version.
Old 08 June 2003, 14:34   #6
Nintendo

The version I have will be the Danish version, however someone has named the adf's as German, but not to worry.

The reason for the interest in the game was really because a British TV show used it also in they way you mentioned, i.e. useing the phone to controll him.

As this version was English I was wandering if there is an English version available for Amiga.

Old 08 June 2003, 23:13   #7
Drake1009

If they had an english version on tv it's highly likely that there's an english version of the game somewhere.
Old 08 June 2003, 23:22   #8
Nintendo

Ive searched high, Ive searched low, and I havnt found it.

I thinks il call it a day!:eek