English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 August 2012, 19:39   #1
ubermick

Indivision AGA (I or II) vs Cheapy ebay scandoubler - worthy upgrade?

So this will probably cause some world class eye rolling and my (persistent) stupidity, but...

Currently using a GBS-8220 as a flicker fixer/scan doubler, and while it does the job, I can't say I'm delighted with the results. Looks okay on an enormous CRT monitor that I have (in 800x600 mode), but horrific on a Dell 1800FP that I'd *really* like to use instead. (On both 800x600 AND 640x480), notably around the mouse cursor, which seems to be embedded in a square of pixels that constantly shimmer and shift.

So the short question is if the Indy MkII a significant upgrade over the GBS-8220, and would it let the Miggy function on that LCD "without issue"? (Or would I be chucking $175 or so at a piece of kit that wouldn't really change anything?)
Old 01 August 2012, 20:08   #2
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

hi the indy ii is definately an upgrade but at the moment were all waiting for the config tool to set our monitors up as it is shifted to 1 side and does not work with everyones monitors

it works with all mine tho i use it with super plus mode 800x 600

but have run at 1024x768 but the higher the colours you get some glitching due to timing issues

for every day use on my desktop i use the gbs as you cant beat itfor the price
Old 01 August 2012, 21:40   #3
ubermick

Cheers (as usual) John. Question for the GBS on your desktop, when you use Workbench with it, are you getting any sort of shennanigans on your mouse pointer? That's the main issue for me on it at the minute.
Old 01 August 2012, 21:46   #4
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

John,

Lots of questions on this thing

Which cable setup are you using? Powered from Amiga or externally? OK for games?

And can you assist with these questions too? http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=831544&postcount=62

And finally.. any suggestions for external cases?

Thanks...
Old 01 August 2012, 22:50   #5
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

if it shimmers/shifts while the cursor is not moved, the indy will probably help, otherwise it might be due to not using the lcd's native resolution..
Old 02 August 2012, 02:08   #6
ubermick

Methanoid,

I've harassed John into the ground on this thing, here's what I can answer on this...

In terms of power, the GBS-8220 *needs* a 5v 2a power supply. If your Miggy's PSU is a modified ATX power supply, you might (should?) be able to power it directly from the miggy.

Mine makes Workbench look awful (in PAL hires interlaced), but games look fine. (Playing Supremacy on it now, and it looks fine)

External case... I saw this one here. Didn't want to pay the 19 euros plus about the same for postage to America, for what's basically two bits of perspex, four short standoffs, and four long ones. So I just made my own that looks basically identical. The GBS-8220 gets toasty hot, so having an open enclosure like this is nice.

As to your other questions:

1) Dunno mate, just have the one PAL amiga, and have only used that with it.

2) No use.

3) The GBS has no autoswitching capabilities, so you'd have to use a switch box before it gets to the board.

4) My PSU was $7 or something like that from Amazon. Here's a UK version... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-5V-DC-2...#ht_2471wt_784

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
if it shimmers/shifts while the cursor is not moved, the indy will probably help, otherwise it might be due to not using the lcd's native resolution..
Thinking that might be my issue. Tried it without interlacing, and it was absolutely fine, so looks like my LCD is the issue.

Last edited by prowler; 02 August 2012 at 21:40. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 05 August 2012, 15:26   #7
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Thanks.. I really would like to know how it handles DblPAL for example.. Does it pass it thru untouched (manual seems to suggest so)... or does it explode and burn?
Old 19 August 2012, 01:05   #8
ubermick

Meh, well I'd been told that it's likely my LCD, so I picked up not one but TWO more LCD screens. Samsung syncmaster, and an old Microtek 15" one that can handle 30hz (!) but both are equally crap. So either I give up on LCDs, or invest in an Indy.
Old 21 August 2012, 01:58   #9
bbond007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
So the short question is if the Indy MkII a significant upgrade over the GBS-8220, and would it let the Miggy function on that LCD "without issue"? (Or would I be chucking $175 or so at a piece of kit that wouldn't really change anything?)
True... lack of the config tool is a distinct issue for the indivision, but I think it will get done eventually. I look forward other future possibilities like a Graffiti Picasso96 mode...

It works well enough with most monitors I have(in VGA) and almost perfectly with my new samsung 27" in 1280x780 HDMI. I say almost perfectly but thats more an issue about the monitor having a popup informing me not using the optimum resolution every time you switch video mode. You have to press a button to make it go away.

I don't have any flickering issues in any resolution and the only modification hardware wise I have done is short r127 - which fixes flickering that occurs even without the Indivision on the 1D4.

It was totally worth it for the price for me.

Don't forget, This is Amiga land and this stuff is done in limited production runs. If you think you want it and you can afford it why not? What happens if you wait for the new firmware and tool and there are no more MK2s?

Think about how inflated the priced of used MK1s were prior to the MK2... I wanted a MK1 just did not want to pay the price. You probably won't find a Denab ethernet now for less than $350... subway is next...
Old 21 August 2012, 03:21   #10
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbond007 View Post
Don't forget, This is Amiga land and this stuff is done in limited production runs. If you think you want it and you can afford it why not? What happens if you wait for the new firmware and tool and there are no more MK2s
Yes this does seem to happen with Individual Computer's products, who knows how many more production runs will be made.
Old 21 August 2012, 20:56   #11
ubermick

Just ordered one today, actually. Been waiting for Amigakit to get them back in stock, and Vesalia wasn't responding to my emails asking if they had them.

Cheers lads, hopefully this will sort it. Be nice to be able to use the DVI as well.
Old 22 August 2012, 00:36   #12
bbond007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
Just ordered one today, actually. Been waiting for Amigakit to get them back in stock, and Vesalia wasn't responding to my emails asking if they had them.

Cheers lads, hopefully this will sort it. Be nice to be able to use the DVI as well.
looks like you made the right decision

"Stock of the Flickerfixer is getting short, and I will most probably raise the price next month in order to slow down sales." - Jens

and the programmers are back to work on the firmware.

I tried my new Samsung monitor with the A1200 again, and it has totally quit nagging me about the resolution not being optimum. I guess maybe it does it just once for each mode... strange..

The picture is fantastic on the HDMI. It really is almost like having a GFX board. You'll never want to go back to regular AGA again. If you do not like it, toss it on ebay for 2x when supply runs out and the driver is released