English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 October 2018, 21:02   #141
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest 2084 View Post
For someone who is just a game player and not a power user, is there any reason to upgrade to 3.1.4? I'm currently using ClassicWB on my 3000.
If you have a large collection of games and use or pretend to use large storage media (bigger than 4 GB), then I would say yes, go for 3.1.4.

If you are using compact flash cards as storage and want to avoid the maxtransfer issues and old problems with proper card recognition, then I would also go for it.

But if you just load games from floppies every now and then, just stay with whatever AmigaOS you have.

Last edited by gulliver; 04 October 2018 at 21:07. Reason: grammar
Old 04 October 2018, 21:05   #142
desiv

Quote:
For someone who is just a game player and not a power user, is there any reason to upgrade to 3.1.4? I'm currently using ClassicWB on my 3000.
If all you do is games, the areas of improvement that look to me to possibly be worthwhile are around the IDE support.
Built-in support for larger hard drives and no longer needing to worry about max transfer settings is really nice.
General improved stability is nice.

And if you are running something like 3.5 or 3.9, this is likely to be a tad faster. (Mostly in the GUI while launching the games. I wouldn't expect most games to actually be any faster as a result)

But probably not a game changer if all you do is gaming.
(Or you can just read the reply that Gulliver beat me to... ;-)
Old 04 October 2018, 21:36   #143
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

I do have a 4GB SCSI hard drive in the system, but I'm using all of it as one large partition (with the memory overhead that requires). I use WHDLoad for games and the occasional disk based game.

I'd have to check but I think 'm running 3.1.
Old 04 October 2018, 22:29   #144
DanyPPC

One question: where i can find other glowicons as AmigaOS3.1.4 style ones ?

Thanks
Old 04 October 2018, 22:51   #145
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyPPC View Post
One question: where i can find other glowicons as AmigaOS3.1.4 style ones ?

Thanks
Marcus told me yesterday, that he was uploading the palette to Aminet, so others could create their own.

But if you are looking for already made ones, Mason is working on more that will probably be available as a download for registered users some time in the near future.
Old 04 October 2018, 23:27   #146
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
@cloverskull

The way the OS is sold is only managed by Hyperion themselves, we have
no saying in that.

If someone wants discounts, release notes, just ask them.

We (developers and betatesters) are foreign to money matters
regarding OS 3.1.4. We did this as a labor of love for the Amiga.

There was never money involved for us, and there will never be.
But this is something we knew from the start and making money was
never our goal to begin with.

We just hope that if enough revenue is obtained thru the sale of
3.1.4, then Hyperion will cover the costs for a next round of
development. But as of today all costs were ours to bare with. And
the ultimate saying if there will be a next version will be both from
the amount of sales (you) and Hyperion themselves.

Passion or insanity, or both, is what drives us.
Ohhh..how I understand that! I was really hoping you all would be paid though. I've looked at the Beta thread from time to time, then when I noticed it was actually released, I became extremely excited! Bought for my A4000 with CyberStormPPC OS 3.5.

Some stuff I noticed, after reading all the FAQ and other documents.. I did a backup of my current very modified A4K OS... (Why is it called "Os" in the FAQ?), and installed the new update via your on Floppy Installer, my SFS complained about an error on my CompactFlash after the reset. I couldn't get to the data so I reformatted the SYS: with new FFS and if Long Filenames is active, it is seen as ADOS. If Long Filenames are off then boots fine. I'm still looking into it... I didn't consider that I hadn't powered off...I was soooo jazzed just to update!! HAHA!

The other "bug" I noticed is that my Amiga screens are passed through to my Picasso 4 without a problem IF LoadModule ROMUPDATE is not used. I use a Software menu program to access some games because I don't always want to run the Workbench... But once the LoadModule ROMUPDATE is used and implemented the Amiga screen is not displayed anymore though an uninterrupted boot. I have to reboot, hold the mouse buttons get New Amiga Boot Menu (cool change!), and then click Boot (with S-S)...then I see the Native screen fine, and I can go through the Software menus I've made. Again, I MUST hold the mouse buttons and access the new ADOS Menu to pick Boot once the ROMUPDATE has been done. I am using, as you can tell, the original Kickstart 3.1 ROMs. Is there something I'm missing?

I adore the updated Workbench - being able to move widows and and folders off screen to the side --- Fantastic!! So very helpful, even if MUI windows don't refresh correctly..haha! Just resize and all refreshed correct. I'm still playing around..but so far, once I have most of my custom .info files back in place (I did NOT expect them to be deleted), and got my PPC versions of DataTypes and so on back where they were, it's a really speedy Amiga 4000 Desktop! I'm also using the IGNOREVERIFY option, that was causing some challenges with Verifying not happening (LED on CompactFlash mount would always flash before...).

I much appreciate the passion...and the insane passion for this Computer. Major Thumbs UP for the Larger Hard Drives and Move Off WB Screen support, even if a little buggy still, they are why I bought it for OS 3.5. Respect!
Old 05 October 2018, 00:12   #147
gulliver
BoingBagged

@AC/DC HACKER!

Dont ever use SFS again! It is known to be buggy. It might work well for years if you dont drive it to expose is weaknesses, but when it does it will bite back at you very hard.

Either use FFS if you care about multitasking or PFS3-aio if you want single task performance.

We all tried to persuade Thomas on the "Os" typo, but it seems it is kind of his signature.

I prepared an A4000 A3640 PicassoIV system for one of our beta testers a couple of weeks ago, using WinUAE (because I unfortunately dont have such great hardware) with a 3.9 (BoingBag 1&2) + 3.1.4. It worked without problems, he only had to properly configure the screenmodes though. So if the PicaasoIV is in good conditions, it shouldnt be the cause of the problem you are experiencing. Anyway, in that particular case, I programmed the maprom function of the A3640 to load the new kickstart.

I am happy you do apreciate some of the changes we made.
Just keep in mind that this was just an update, if things go well, much more things could be accomplished in the future.

BTW, if you dont know, I have released an unofficial update script so that users of 3.5 and 3.9 can update their systems with 3.1.4 whilst keeping their icons and functionality. In about a day or two there will be a new version of it in Aminet which will also support 3.1 systems. (Updateto314) So maybe you could revive your backed up system for 3.1.4.

I just hope you keep enjoying 3.1.4, because it was a hell of ride for all of us to make it happen.

--------------

PS: Try to insert "ALLTOCHIP" as argument to loadmodule in the startup-sequence. That may fix your bootable issues. Blame it to Phase 5

Last edited by gulliver; 05 October 2018 at 00:24.
Old 05 October 2018, 01:57   #148
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
@AC/DC HACKER!

Dont ever use SFS again! It is known to be buggy. It might work well for years if you dont drive it to expose is weaknesses, but when it does it will bite back at you very hard.

Either use FFS if you care about multitasking or PFS3-aio if you want single task performance.
[...snip...]

--------------

PS: Try to insert "ALLTOCHIP" as argument to loadmodule in the startup-sequence. That may fix your bootable issues. Blame it to Phase 5
I found a solution before I read this. I've disabled "checksys" by renaming it to "checksys!". That's how I rename stuff I'm testing. I see, about the "Os" thing, hmm...some people.. Giggling. I will rename the "checksys" and give the ALLTOCHIP a shot. I was getting ready to go through the commands for LoadModule, but I figured as I was renaming some stuff that it would either reboot, reboot, reboot (which it did when new "bootmenu" was missing). HA!

I don't want to use SFS anymore, that's why I was so thrilled about the expanded FFS. It was great for larger partitions but, YES, if you find one "bug" you LOOSE everything...I have. Besides, the SFS Salv isn't nearly as good as DiskSalv, and I'm going to check DiskDoctor some more. I'm ALL about the Multi-Tasking, haha. I've read Toni's comments about PFS3-aio so I might consider that also sometime..

Very much appreciate the reply. Really, really impressed and very excited for more. Maybe you should ask for donations? OHH...I almost forgot. I used to Shift key to get the Picasso 4 early boot to reset it (just to see if the screen would show) and it did come up, but not any display. So, my next thought was about Phase 5... Reset, Pressed the ESC..and Pop! There's the CSPPC screen, so mouse not needed anymore but I don't want to have to do that every time I want to see my menu. This was all before renaming "syscheck".

Gone to check that tip. Big high 5!
Old 05 October 2018, 03:02   #149
Heiroglyph

Quote:
It won't make games any better, but if your hard drive fails or you want a bigger one to store more games, you'll have an easier time using available drives that are usually bigger than 3.1 can safely handle.

You can make them work, but having them just work because it's in ROM is nice.

It also depends on whether further 68k development is something you'd like to see.

For me that's the biggest one. They made some good changes and I'll always pay for that.
Old 05 October 2018, 03:35   #150
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
@AC/DC HACKER!
I did..didn't help. I renamed "checksys" back. I'll just press ESC for now, OR.....I'll use "Reset Hard" so I'm able to see my Menu system.

However, I didn't include before that I have a Sound File playing if I don't choose any games from the menu I made, OR...if I just press Return.. I don't get to hear it anymore because my HDTV isn't get a "display" signal anymore due to the Update...unless I do what I've typed about, including ESC after a reboot from Installed update already applied.

I have another Sound file played once Workbench is loaded. I'm not a typical user, haha, very much into Power User stuff. Maybe there's a "fix" between or after syscheck? Wanna use me as a "checker"? PM... For now I'm using ESC from Phase 5.... HAHA, that's reads funny! Definitely ESCaped the so called "New Phase 5"...what a joke, scammer.
Old 05 October 2018, 03:46   #151
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiroglyph View Post
It won't make games any better, but if your hard drive fails or you want a bigger one to store more games, you'll have an easier time using available drives that are usually bigger than 3.1 can safely handle.
INDEED!

Quote:
It also depends on whether further 68k development is something you'd like to see.
Innnndeed! (I'm also a big fan of the Next Gen.)

Quote:
For me that's the biggest one. They made some good changes and I'll always pay for that.
Without a doubt. I bought it for that very reason. I guess I'm nuts to support the Amiga still, but I knew I was nuts in the 80's when I became in love with the ideas as the people that embraced it all. Fix the bugs, oh yeah.. Also make it better AFTER the Bug Fixes?? YEAH!!

Fixing bugs and adding a lot of new enhancements at the same times creates more problems for programmers (not "app-ers"). Fixing bugs AND adding a lot of new enhancements is a piss poor idea, and it doesn't go well (Doze8/10). Very small additions while fixing, is cool with me. Enki (God), I love the Workbench (Intuition) Enhancement. It's not limited to Workbench which makes it really brilliant... I've used it now several times from Without Startup-Sequence. Next to FFS, 30 dollars worth right there! Bugs with it or not. What's Neeeeext!?!!? WOooooooo!!! HAHA!
Old 05 October 2018, 11:35   #152
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
Besides, the SFS Salv isn't nearly as good as DiskSalv, and I'm going to check DiskDoctor some more.
So far it seems that very few have tried the new Disk Doctor, and if they did, it may not have been much to write about

The new Disk Doctor currently does two things "only": 1) it can check if a volume is in good shape and point out defects it finds and 2) it can copy/salvage/recover files, directories, hard and soft links from a volume and store these on a different storage device.

All operations which the new Disk Doctor performs leave the volume to examine/copy from unchanged. It is completely non-destructive (unlike its "disgraced" 1980'ies precursor).

Please consider checking your hard disk partitions for defects (that is, those partitions which use FFS, DCFS or LNFS). The new Disk Doctor can detect issues which (as far as I can tell) no other tool of the same kind has paid attention to before.
Old 05 October 2018, 13:01   #153
James

Thanks to all the OS3.1.4 development team.

One query from the FAQ:

"Also, if you decide to use long file-names, beware that RAWBInfo does not properly behave with them, so better remove it from the WBStartup drawer."

I've been using RAWBInfo with long filenames on OS3.9 for years. What is this problem? Does it only affect 3.1.4?
Old 05 October 2018, 13:56   #154
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Thanks to all the OS3.1.4 development team.

One query from the FAQ:

"Also, if you decide to use long file-names, beware that RAWBInfo does not properly behave with them, so better remove it from the WBStartup drawer."

I've been using RAWBInfo with long filenames on OS3.9 for years. What is this problem? Does it only affect 3.1.4?
It doesnt tolerate very long filenames, and has problems dealing with them when they are near the limits >100 characters.

Add to that the fact that it has more enforcer/muforce hits than a bad boxer.

Last edited by gulliver; 05 October 2018 at 14:35.
Old 05 October 2018, 14:35   #155
bubbob42

Quote:
It doesnt tolerate very long filenames, and has problems dealing with them when they are near the limits >100 characters.
It also replaces icon information window with its own. Problem here: The calculated values are wrong for large harddisks. This has been fixed for the GadTools version you'll get without using RAWBinfo.
Old 05 October 2018, 21:12   #156
betajaen

Hello All,

I just did a tutorial on Twitcch.tv, on how to install Workbench 3.1.4 on an Amiga 1200 with a Blizzard or ACA-like accelerator that can map the kickstart into Fast ROM.

I go into quite detail, and even transfer the disk images over on the Amiga, do some partitioning. Sadly the CF-Card is old and didn't work on boot, but it's very useful material anyway.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/318707137

Watch from 4-5 minutes in. It's about 45 minutes in total, then I just play some games. I will be attempting a more formal version of this in Youtube once I have the free time.

Cheers,

Betajaen/Robin
Old 05 October 2018, 21:13   #157
LieutLaww

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by betajaen View Post
Hello All,

I just did a tutorial on Twitcch.tv, on how to install Workbench 3.1.4 on an Amiga 1200 with a Blizzard or ACA-like accelerator that can map the kickstart into Fast ROM.

I go into quite detail, and even transfer the disk images over on the Amiga, do some partitioning. Sadly the CF-Card is old and didn't work on boot, but it's very useful material anyway.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/318707137

Watch from 4-5 minutes in. It's about 45 minutes in total, then I just play some games. I will be attempting a more formal version of this in Youtube once I have the free time.

Cheers,

Betajaen/Robin
Awesome you said you were going to do this yesterday so shall have a watch tomorrow
Old 05 October 2018, 21:21   #158
betajaen

Your very much welcome, always happy to help out another Amiga user.
Old 05 October 2018, 21:48   #159
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by betajaen View Post
Your very much welcome, always happy to help out another Amiga user.
Thanks as well Robin, very interesting!

I'm hopefully picking up an A1200 tomorrow... so will be watching this with a view to getting 3.1.4 on the A1200 if I go ahead with the purchase...

Vicky
Old 05 October 2018, 22:08   #160
rare_j
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf Barthel View Post
So far it seems that very few have tried the new Disk Doctor, and if they did, it may not have been much to write about
It sound like a tool that will really help get people out of a bad situation - but everybody hopes they won't have to use it!
We'll have to wait awhile until 3.1.4 users' hard disks start to fail, as they do in general from time to time.